Giant robot duel!

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

Two months ago the American company MegaBots challenged the Japanese firm Suidobashi Heavy Industry to a giant robot duel. The Japanese accepted with the condition that it be hand-to-hand and sometime next year the world will see the first mech showdown but MegaBots needs some money to upgrade their machine for the duel since it wasn't designed for melee combat.

I'm a big fan of mechs so hopefully we'll see this take off as a sporting event. Certainly more fun to watch than a bunch of cars going round and round an oval :p

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Really awesome Kickstarter ! I'd pay to see that live ! But not when I need to pay a trip to the US or Japan. Is it going to be on neutral ground ? Maybe it's happening in Europe !

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Hopefully it will be more Robot Wars, and less Robot Combat League. The Kuratas guys definitely seem to want to go that way, opting for direct combat over firing giant paintballs at each other.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

Not only will we get to see a giant robot duel (eventually) there will be a documentary too!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It's all fun and games until the pilot loses an eye. I was expecting this wouldn't work (legally) with a pilot on the inside. Apparently, nobody cares about handling massive chainsaws and drills when they're mounted on a robotic frame.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
You're right, I suspect a big reason for how long it's taking to get the battle arranged is insurance.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
For some reason I was thinking that these robots would be remote-controlled for those safety reasons. Making it piloted would complicate design, but also at least at lots of epicness.

Reactions: Phuncz