General Chat Thread

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Don't even get me started on "chief".

It's not authoritarianism at all im my eyes, where I went to high school, the teachers called the students "sir" and "ma'am" as well, when addressing them in a conversation.

That's just it, it's a respect thing.
And as you say, the population is incredibly diverse; respect, even just nodding your head to acknowledge a total stranger is really important, at least where I was raised.
That's the thing though: there is no lack of respect in Norwegian culture - far from it. Mutual trust requires mutual respect. I would also argue that calling people sir/ma'am (especially someone you have as close a relation to as a teacher) is a sign of distance and unfamiliarity, which signals neither respect nor trust, but simply alienation. There is obviously something to Norway being a (far) less diverse society which does help with social cohesion, but that's also a bit myopic. Our high level of trust in both each other and various authorities can to a large degree be attributed to significant efforts made over the past century to provide education and welfare to as broad a populace as possible, which in turn serves to minimize feelings of alienation and disenfranchisement. And at least to me it sounds reasonable that your need for verbally expressed respect is inversely proportional to one's confidence and security in actually being respected. The less respect you feel you get, the more you need to have it expressed to your face, and vice versa.

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017

• Angry
Reactions: Windfall

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
That's the thing though: there is no lack of respect in Norwegian culture - far from it. Mutual trust requires mutual respect. I would also argue that calling people sir/ma'am (especially someone you have as close a relation to as a teacher) is a sign of distance and unfamiliarity, which signals neither respect nor trust, but simply alienation. There is obviously something to Norway being a (far) less diverse society which does help with social cohesion, but that's also a bit myopic. Our high level of trust in both each other and various authorities can to a large degree be attributed to significant efforts made over the past century to provide education and welfare to as broad a populace as possible, which in turn serves to minimize feelings of alienation and disenfranchisement. And at least to me it sounds reasonable that your need for verbally expressed respect is inversely proportional to one's confidence and security in actually being respected. The less respect you feel you get, the more you need to have it expressed to your face, and vice versa.

I don't like to get into debate, but to me it never felt distant or unfamiliar.
I never said there was no respect in Norwegian culture.

TL;DR Different countries/cultures do different things.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I use "mate" a lot when speaking, but it's kind of a norm in the UK.

That's fair, 'fella' gets used more these days. I don't like 'chap' though, the police seem to address guys that way recently.
Best start to a PM on a UK PC forum was a few years ago: 'Alright Geez'
I'd not been referred to as Geezer before; to me it suggests being more dodgy than a bloke.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Just realized I've got to "Shrink Ray Wielder"

I have a long way to go to get to the next tier: Spatial Philosopher, 2584 messages.

Reactions: Phuncz

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Check out this PC part picker list:

$7928.65 for that motherboard??? Some amazon sellers are crazy!

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Can you elaborate a little ? :)

I guess I'll go first as way of example:

An Ode to the Personal Computers of Old

Let me take you back to a simpler age, an age that features plains of beige.

Between banks of galvanized steel, 16 gauge,

Where IDE cables, like rivers snaked along undaunted,

Upon which floppy drives happily freely and happily frolicked.

A place where, alone, amidst the hum of the hard drive, (boy oh boy)

You spin your trackball with gladness and joy,

And hit keys on the keyboard, sublime and slight.

Where Purple Parallel ports sun themselves in cold cathode light.

O how happy they are, how happy and bold

In their beige home of old,

How they grind and they fizz, unaware of their plight,

Unaware of the fate that the ray of Advancement lights.

We long for that age, where Fiery Wire resides,

Where a CRT hums happily by your side,

Where the RCA plugs and PS2 ports widely roam,

We long for that beautiful, beige painted home.

Man, is it cringeworthy. XD