General Chat Thread

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
If you don't like Bay-formers, you can still go full bling-bling... (MSI 5700 XT Evoke + G.Skill Trident Z Royal) ... /pukes

iamtheqi

Cable Smoosher
Sep 24, 2019
Guys, I need a recommendation for a cooler. This isn't for an SFF build but my main pc that i'm using now in an NZXT H500. I'm running a 2700X with the wraith prism at stock speeds and I'm idling around 38°C to around 42°C. I would like to have PBO always on but the wraith cooler is just not powerful enough. I was thinking of getting a Dark Rock Pro 4 but it is a little expensive for me and quite hard for me to find at where I am from and amazon sells them at ridiculous prices without shipping. Are there other alternatives under USD110? I have 165mm of clearance for the cooler.

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
Guys, I need a recommendation for a cooler. This isn't for an SFF build but my main pc that i'm using now in an NZXT H500. I'm running a 2700X with the wraith prism at stock speeds and I'm idling around 38°C to around 42°C. I would like to have PBO always on but the wraith cooler is just not powerful enough. I was thinking of getting a Dark Rock Pro 4 but it is a little expensive for me and quite hard for me to find at where I am from and amazon sells them at ridiculous prices without shipping. Are there other alternatives under USD110? I have 165mm of clearance for the cooler.

You have plenty of options. So many in fact that you could use a Scythe Ninja 5. Not only is it just $60, you can go around telling everyone you have the most monstrously huge cooler ever. ?

Reactions: khanate

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
DeepCool Assassin III? According to Hexus it's (very marginally) better than the NH-D15). A bit more expensive than the Scythe mentioned above, though.

iamtheqi

Cable Smoosher
Sep 24, 2019
You have plenty of options. So many in fact that you could use a Scythe Ninja 5. Not only is it just $60, you can go around telling everyone you have the most monstrously huge cooler ever. ?
That's huuuuuge, im worried that if i shift up the fans high enough to clear the rams and heatsink if i will even have enough space to even fit it inside my case...Although i am really considering this now since it is SGD$50 less than what i would have to pay for the dark rock pro 4 after shipping from amazon.

DeepCool Assassin III? According to Hexus it's (very marginally) better than the NH-D15). A bit more expensive than the Scythe mentioned above, though.
Wow the performance is really astounding. I thought i'd take the performance hit since the dark rock pro 4 looked really good since the noctua's is butt f**king ugly but this is amazing! Unfortunately it's not available to be shipped to my country...at its current price i think it'll be more than what i'd pay for the DRP4 so i think i'll take that into consideration as well

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Some dickhead with a man bun called me "bud" today.

Interesting. May I know why some people don't like being called "buddy" (or "bud") directly? I did this in another forum long back and some people expressed dissatisfaction.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Personally I would definitely not like being called "bro" (as bro=douche in my mind), but "bud" or "buddy" wouldn't bother me at all. Then again I don't live in an English-speaking country so I guess experiencing it daily might change things.

Reactions: AleksandarK

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Being called "dude" bothers me.

I refer to every man I meet as "sir" and every woman as "ma'am" until I'm told to say otherwise.
"Dude" and "bud" just seems disrespectful, unless I know you really well.

Maybe I have a few screws loose. I don't know. XD

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Being called "dude" bothers me.

I refer to every man I meet as "sir" and every woman as "ma'am" until I'm told to say otherwise.
"Dude" and "bud" just seems disrespectful, unless I know you really well.

Maybe I have a few screws loose. I don't know. XD
I am the same way, if I don't know someones name I am respectful. Dude and bud bother me, as does chief.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Heh, in Norwegian we don't even have a word equivalent to "sir" - at least not one that doesn't sound completely archaic when used. Definitely says something about how informal we tend to be towards each other (and possibly why some people from other cultures tend to think we are quite rude when we definitely don't intend to be). We also never (ever) refer to people as Ms./Mr. Last Name, no matter our relation. It still baffles me that kids in the US talk to their teachers like that - sounds like a way to instill authoritarianism from an early age to my mind.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Heh, in Norwegian we don't even have a word equivalent to "sir" - at least not one that doesn't sound completely archaic when used. Definitely says something about how informal we tend to be towards each other (and possibly why some people from other cultures tend to think we are quite rude when we definitely don't intend to be). We also never (ever) refer to people as Ms./Mr. Last Name, no matter our relation. It still baffles me that kids in the US talk to their teachers like that - sounds like a way to instill authoritarianism from an early age to my mind.

Authoritarianism has some government undertones.

Respect for authority though, is pretty important... otherwise you get people who refuse to vaccinate their kids for example and thus putting the public health in danger.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018

Respect for authority though, is pretty important... otherwise you get people who refuse to vaccinate their kids for example and thus putting the public health in danger.
Yet people in Norway trust the government, police and other authorities/public institutions to a far higher degree than people in the US, and we have far fewer anti-vaxxers (though we are by no means immune to that plague, sadly). As such I'd say the opposite is true: mutual trust rather than respect for authority (which, if taken literally, must mean blind respect for authority, as it carries the implication that having authority itself means that authority is deserved) fosters a well-functioning society. Anti-vaxxers after all don't distrust all authority, they just replace one authority with another. Authority should be trusted if they are demonstrably interested in public welfare and are able to work towards this - and if not, they don't deserve said authority, and should be replaced. Also, authoritarianism thrives in underground anti-government movements, it's just a question of which authority they choose to support. A lot of seemingly anti-authoritarian movements turn out to be staunchly authoritarian once someone they like comes into power.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Yet people in Norway trust the government, police and other authorities/public institutions to a far higher degree than people in the US, and we have far fewer anti-vaxxers (though we are by no means immune to that plague, sadly). As such I'd say the opposite is true: mutual trust rather than respect for authority (which, if taken literally, must mean blind respect for authority, as it carries the implication that having authority itself means that authority is deserved) fosters a well-functioning society. Anti-vaxxers after all don't distrust all authority, they just replace one authority with another. Authority should be trusted if they are demonstrably interested in public welfare and are able to work towards this - and if not, they don't deserve said authority, and should be replaced. Also, authoritarianism thrives in underground anti-government movements, it's just a question of which authority they choose to support. A lot of seemingly anti-authoritarian movements turn out to be staunchly authoritarian once someone they like comes into power.

You're reading too deep into it. It's just a cultural thing to call your seniors Mr/Mrs, out of "respect."

Also remember, the US has 80x your population with high income inequality (and thus education inequality). We're also much more diverse than you think. It's a not a homogeneous nation; our demographs are incredibly diverse.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I am the same way, if I don't know someones name I am respectful. Dude and bud bother me, as does chief.

Don't even get me started on "chief".

It's not authoritarianism at all im my eyes, where I went to high school, the teachers called the students "sir" and "ma'am" as well, when addressing them in a conversation.

You're reading too deep into it. It's just a cultural thing to call your seniors Mr/Mrs, out of "respect."

Also remember, the US has 80x your population with high income inequality (and thus education inequality). We're also much more diverse than you think. It's a not a homogeneous nation; our demographs are incredibly diverse.

That's just it, it's a respect thing.
And as you say, the population is incredibly diverse; respect, even just nodding your head to acknowledge a total stranger is really important, at least where I was raised.

Reactions: rfarmer