General Chat Thread

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I do expect it to WORK, though.

I bought a used Gigabyte GA-H170N and can't use the onboard audio for anything. It crackles and fuzzes like CRAZY. And picks up a lot of feedback from mouse movements. Some of the pins in the CPU socket are bent but the CPU's working fine. Could that have anything to do with my bad audio experience, though? Don't know if it's possible. I haven't tried the audio headers of the mobo, just plugged in headphones directly from the I/O in the back.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I bought a used Gigabyte GA-H170N and can't use the onboard audio for anything. It crackles and fuzzes like CRAZY. And picks up a lot of feedback from mouse movements. Some of the pins in the CPU socket are bent but the CPU's working fine. Could that have anything to do with my bad audio experience, though? Don't know if it's possible. I haven't tried the audio headers of the mobo, just plugged in headphones directly from the I/O in the back.

That's the motherboard and problem I have (well except for the mouse thing), but the staticy sound doesn't start until I've been using my PC for a bit, and goes away when I haven't used the onboard sound for a bit.

Is it possible for the sound chip to overheat?

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
I'm going insane trying to decide on a cooling solution for my X99 rebuild as it is completely dependent on the limitations of the case that I also cannot come to grips with choosing. It's one of those things where you know that there isn't a perfect solution yet you're in denial and continue to look for one anyway.

lac29

Average Stuffer
Apr 1, 2017
Randomish question but what are everyone's general take on how long desktop and laptop purchases should occur in terms of "I should budget for replacing my desktop or laptop (and smartphone) every X number of years"?

I'm doing some general budget projections and have put down:
  • $1200 for replacing my laptop every 4 years - note I have a 5 year old Asus laptop that was nice in its day running Win 7 and kind of want to buy a new one during next year's Black Friday
  • $1200 for replacing my desktop every 4 years - note I just built a DANCASE A4v2 with i5 8400 and 1060 w/27" 144Hz GSync monitor earlier this year ... this is only the second PC I've ever built and I've honestly never done individual component upgrades
  • $600 for replacing my smartphone every 4 years - note I tend to buy mid-high smartphones and currently own a used Oneplus 3T that I plan on using for at least 1-2 more years minimum ... I like Oneplus a lot and this was my first "nice" smartphone

Reactions: Biowarejak and el01

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Randomish question but what are everyone's general take on how long desktop and laptop purchases should occur in terms of "I should budget for replacing my desktop or laptop (and smartphone) every X number of years"?

I'm doing some general budget projections and have put down:
  • $1200 for replacing my laptop every 4 years - note I have a 5 year old Asus laptop that was nice in its day running Win 7 and kind of want to buy a new one during next year's Black Friday
  • $1200 for replacing my desktop every 4 years - note I just built a DANCASE A4v2 with i5 8400 and 1060 w/27" 144Hz GSync monitor earlier this year ... this is only the second PC I've ever built and I've honestly never done individual component upgrades
  • $600 for replacing my smartphone every 4 years - note I tend to buy mid-high smartphones and currently own a used Oneplus 3T that I plan on using for at least 1-2 more years minimum ... I like Oneplus a lot and this was my first "nice" smartphone
I replace my laptop whenever it starts to fall apart (as with my old laptop), my phone when it really can't do anything more than call or text (since having apps is sometimes nice when you don't have to delete everything to install them), and since I don't have a desktop, I would usually keep it going with some newer parts and then throw it through normal life.

Spent a little over $600 on my laptop, $230 on my (now dead) phone, and $0 on all my desktop stuff.

I would say that buying something mid-range would be nice for a laptop, then getting a phone like the Galaxy S8, since it's around $300 right now.

Then again, I'm living off of measly income and going to school, so if you have money to spend, spend it where it matters.

(silently schemes about perhaps being able to get a slightly better car)

Reactions: Biowarejak

lac29

Average Stuffer
Apr 1, 2017
@el01

So I semirecently (over the last several years) got back into owning a desktop and laptop. I think I sorta realize that it's a bit of a money waste and probably better to just have a laptop (which you replace every 4ish years or so) and a nice monitor that you hook it up to when you use it at home. It's just bit too redundant in some ways. I have yet to really upgrade my desktop components to make it worth the cost savings in doing your diy incremental upgrades.

But then again, it sucks owning a laptop that is nearing its end of life. I bought my Oneplus 3T used for I think under $300 a few years back so my $600 every 4 years for a smartphone might be a tad on the high side if I never plan on buying the cutting edge phones when they come out.

Reactions: el01

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
@el01

So I semirecently (over the last several years) got back into owning a desktop and laptop. I think I sorta realize that it's a bit of a money waste and probably better to just have a laptop (which you replace every 4ish years or so) and a nice monitor that you hook it up to when you use it at home. It's just bit too redundant in some ways. I have yet to really upgrade my desktop components to make it worth the cost savings in doing your diy incremental upgrades.

But then again, it sucks owning a laptop that is nearing its end of life. I bought my Oneplus 3T used for I think under $300 a few years back so my $600 every 4 years for a smartphone might be a tad on the high side if I never plan on buying the cutting edge phones when they come out.
I wish we had cheaper Thunderbolt docks with moar bandwidth... Plug 1 cable in and get moar storage, graphics power, monitor, keyboard, etc.

My logic with "incremental upgrades" is to scrape by until software you need/want to use requires newer hardware, then fulfill minimum requirements.

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
Alright, who's the dickhead selling 545LC's for $185 on eBay?

Last edited:

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
... there's a few GPU listings on ebay... seller just work in a PC hardware store and is trying to offload return stock, but the pictures don't show any burn marks or tempering...

did a quick search on DOA queries and some solved it with just motherboard BIOS setting or clearing CMOS ._. should I..... wait for the next gen RTX or should I take the gamble....?

(because despite being halfway around the world it's still cheaper than secondhand in my area O_O)

Reactions: Biowarejak