General Chat Thread

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018

:D

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
Does anyone else remove their memory's heatspreaders every time they get a new kit?

Reactions: el01

Smanci

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2017
I like how standard size RAM are now called "low profile".

I like how one of the best-looking, practical, affordable and overclockable stick of DDR3 was this one on the left - the Samsung "miracle" 1,35V VLP. I could even pay a little extra to get stuff like this in the form of DDR4. I also owned some Kingston VLP valueram (right) that proved to be a very decent kit.

Reactions: Biowarejak and el01

Aux

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2018
I just buy (Very) Low Profile memory. If enough people do that, the manufacturer will hopefully get a clue we don't need RAM that's smartphone sized.

unfortunately they build what sells, and I think sff is a minority. My latest motherboard and cpu watercooling block have rgb lighting.
you just have to accept it
I ordered some rgb ram as a worst case (pun not intended) for my design of a case because of it. The watercooling pump blocks all have slots for rgb lighting. the graphics card waterblock will probably have lighting. If you look on pcpartpicker so many builds have rgb now. you follow the market or go down.
I personally am not a fan, and (but?) my pc under my desk is glowing faintly blue as we speak . .. My other pc casts a reddish aura . .am not totally sure what my neighbours think I get up to

Reactions: Biowarejak

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
eh, the DC-DDR4 RAM cards currently only work with ASUS OC-based Maximus 11 single-DIMM-per-channel boards ._.
I hear DDR5 would allow for twice the capacities for the same LP outline, so I doubt otherboard makers would wannt to spend the rest of the DDR4 lifetime to accommodate DC-DDR4 ._.

EDIT: I mean I get that they're trying to save board surface by moving the capacity from the motherboard RAM socket onto the RAM stick itself (that and I hear it's much more stable somehow that way), but that's pretty much screwing around with most of the tower coolers as well ._.

Last edited:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
So I've been really enjoying the experience of Manjaro Linux as I've used the live distro for a few days and am eager to fully install with a new hard drive and try some wholesome Linux gaming, but one thing keeps me from fully leaving Windows, which is... SKETCHUP. There is no native support for it and Wine only has been tested with some really old version, but I can't find any CAD software on Linux that have a workflow as straightforward as Sketchup's. And I like to do my case product designs on it..

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I've never found Sketchup to be straightforward to be honest, but then I started with Inventor :p

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Fusion 360 is now the best FREE CAD/CAM option, and it has GREAT sheet metal tools. Both HTPC One (sadly stalled) and HTPC Micro were designed and rendered in it.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Fusion 360 is now the best FREE CAD/CAM option, and it has GREAT sheet metal tools. Both HTPC One (sadly stalled) and HTPC Micro were designed and rendered in it.
As long as you aren't making more than 100k a year from it. Not sure if that license restricts any features though.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
As long as you aren't making more than 100k a year from it. Not sure if that license restricts any features though.

The startup license restricts some cloud render capability (but I don't use that, local is faster), some basic collab tools, and no generative design.

Love it. All the way.

step83

Average Stuffer
Dec 23, 2018
I just buy (Very) Low Profile memory. If enough people do that, the manufacturer will hopefully get a clue we don't need RAM that's smartphone sized.

You forget, smartphones seem to be getting bigger and bigger.

My what is deemed "small" 5.2" display beside a guy at works iPhone XS Max which is 6.5" my entire phone sits in his screens space.

Considering I remember when a 7" tablet seems huge its getting a bit silly now.

Reactions: el01