General Chat Thread

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Inkscape is one of the software I always install right after a fresh OS install. Other softs are: Sublime, Freecad, Krita, Calibre, Scribus, Darktable and Blender .... And the LibreOffice suite of course.
(gasps)

LIBREOFFICE???? What type of Linux Master Racer are you? Ascend to the high realm with LaTeX, groff/troff, SC-IM, and Beamer to create presentations easily

(lol I have libreoffice too, but LaTeX is going well, especially since I do crazy formatting for the reports we have to write. Starting to use MatPlotLib for graphs since some of the stuff I do at school requires Python for data handling, and I might as well export it directly instead of being put into Google Sheets or other software.)

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I joined this community in the beginning of this year and wished to learn about SFF to see if this is a feasible route to build my next system. I learned quite a lot since January. And, I have just built a new system (anyone interested, check it out in the Build Log section). So far, so good. I am quite thankful for all the help I got along my way.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I joined this community in the beginning of this year and wished to learn about SFF to see if this is a feasible route to build my next system. I learned quite a lot since January. And, I have just built a new system (anyone interested, check it out in the Build Log section). So far, so good. I am quite thankful for all the help I got along my way.

I have been following your build logs, always wanted to get a test bench. Have you had a chance to do any gaming with your RTX 2070?
I am thinking of getting the MSI 2070 Aero itx and am curious about performance.

Reactions: Phuncz and el01

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I have been following your build logs, always wanted to get a test bench. Have you had a chance to do any gaming with your RTX 2070?
I am thinking of getting the MSI 2070 Aero itx and am curious about performance.

No, no gaming yet.

I installed Windows only last week. Now, I need to install other 'testing' softwares to check various components (eg memtest, OCCT, 3DMark...etc) on the scores as well as the temperature. When everything is OK, I need to install an Chinese IME (which, from what I read, could be tricky with Windows 10) and a few other essential softwares.

Only then, I will move on to gaming. In fact, I have stopped playing game (Prey) for a month now as I think I will reinstall Prey into this new (and more powerful) PC. Gaming is not a top priority right now. But, I do get Battlefield V today. :)It will be probably around Christmas that I will do some gaming, if I am lucky. If it would not be too late by that time, I surely can feedback on the performance of my MSI RTX 2070.

I am really taking my time to build this rig. In my previous builds, I always rushed through everything in a week. But not this time.
In addition, there are a couple important life matters that I need to give a lot of my attention to. So, I do not have much time per day to finish the software part of the rig.:confused:

Reactions: rfarmer

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Considering how often Realtek stuff has caused me trouble, is it actually reasonable to make NOT having a realtek audio chip a primary requirement for a new montherboard?

I'm kinda sick of their drivers and utility software just randomly dying on me.

Reactions: Biowarejak

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Considering how often Realtek stuff has caused me trouble, is it actually reasonable to make NOT having a realtek audio chip a primary requirement for a new montherboard?

I'm kinda sick of their drivers and utility software just randomly dying on me.

I like server motherboard because they have no embedded audio. USB Dac all the way !

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
When everything goes wrong, you can say "I told you so!" and have the satisfaction of being right.

I have a wallpaper for that....

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Alright, since I'm a curious idiot:

Who do y'all think I am? You all probably know that I go to college, and that I live in Colorado, but what else do you think about me?