General Chat Thread

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Writing a "script" for a video. Trying to balance scripting everything with just bullet points to cover. New to this, let's see how it goes!

OOh. And new PFP. Again.

What's up with LUXINDUSTRIES? Any updates?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I'm sorry, but I just had to share this.....

Reactions: Biowarejak and el01

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
I'm sorry, but I just had to share this.....

Blocked. Blocked. You're all blocked.

Nobellium Uranium.
Would you like to fight me? I cannot use "Nobellium Uranium" for another week. Every day we get a turn to try to outmeme each other. I get an extra turn today because I make the rules.

More technological memes.

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
I'm straight up about to tape a piece of paper over my monitor to hide YouTube's suggested videos. It is getting unreal at this point. I do not want to see Fortnite gameplay, Joe Rogan podcast clips, "life hacks", superhero movie trailers, or ANYTHING sports related.

Reactions: el01 and Choidebu

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I wish I knew why youtube is so bad at suggesting videos.
I actually paid for youtube red for a month or two so I could get the music on my phone without leaving my screen on, but it was SO BAD about coming up with a good playlist. Since I listen to many, varied genres, I'd get shit like youtube trying to play Tupac after Stevie Nicks having gone off the rails of what I wanted to hear by the third song.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I wish I knew why youtube is so bad at suggesting videos.
I actually paid for youtube red for a month or two so I could get the music on my phone without leaving my screen on, but it was SO BAD about coming up with a good playlist. Since I listen to many, varied genres, I'd get shit like youtube trying to play Tupac after Stevie Nicks having gone off the rails of what I wanted to hear by the third song.

I so know the feeling. Never understood why there's no option to maintain audio on YouTube when the phone screen is off. I "watch" many stuff on YT whose only the audio is mandatory (music, docs, etc). No comment about shitty YT suggestions XD.

I moved to Spotify premium for music and am considering Qobuz (coz' Spotify quality isn't up to my audio setup).

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I'm straight up about to tape a piece of paper over my monitor to hide YouTube's suggested videos. It is getting unreal at this point. I do not want to see Fortnite gameplay, Joe Rogan podcast clips, "life hacks", superhero movie trailers, or ANYTHING sports related.

I just ignore them. XD

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
I think YouTube gave up on me after realizing that I watch waaaaay too many videos.

Aichon

Average Stuffer
Oct 16, 2017
YouTube is great at surfacing banal, clickbait content, but even after years of subscribing to and watching things that weren't aimed at the lowest common denominator of humanity, it was never good at surfacing the sorts of things I would go back to time and time again. Every single channel or show I've ever subscribed to was discovered outside of YouTube.

These days, the only way I watch YouTube videos is via RSS. I can drop the URL for any channel or playlist into my RSS client (Feedbin, which I heartily recommend) and it will parse the relevant feed link for that channel or playlist and add it as a feed I follow. Ever since figuring that out, there's been no going back for me. I can:
  • Subscribe to individual playlists instead of—or in addition to—entire channels
  • Apply filtering rules to automatically surface/hide videos I care/don't care about
  • Be notified exactly how, when, where, and if I want as soon as a new video is posted
  • Not have the same videos I'm uninterested in shoved in my face dozens of times
  • Glance at embedded videos without sacrificing privacy (Feedbin routes them through image proxies)
  • Watch videos without having to go to or log in to YouTube
  • Subscribe without ever notifying YouTube of my interests
I think I'm also using some extensions to turn off ads, recommendations, and other parts of the site I'm uninterested in, for those rare occasions when someone else links me to it.