General Chat Thread

ebc92

Average Stuffer
Mar 4, 2018
I recently bought everything i need to make custom sleeved cable extensions off of ebay the other day, but I'm having second thoughts on the quality of parts ordered. Right now i'm considering getting pre-fabricated extensions and just shorten these instead. All of the items ship out of China, but I havent received them yet so i've been unable to physically inspect the parts. Anyone here care to offer their opinion on them?

Wire: Generic 18AWG Stranded Wire, silicon rubber insulation
Connectors: Generic plastic 24-pin & 8-pin connectors
Braiding: polyester PET, rating UL94-V0
Terminal plugs: Generic 2.54mm Long Dupont Head
Heatshrink tubes: Polyolefin 2:1 tubing
Bumping my post.

Did you say aluminum wire? Or is that just part of the insulation?
Sorry, that was a typo. I meant to type silicone rubber insulation! Edited the post - dont know how i got those mixed up lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
"... should I skip Threadripper 2 and hold it out for Threadripper 3?"
"I could wait the extra year, but will there be an mATX motherboard within the release year...?"
"If it doesn't but if the X399 board would run one, Should I buy a 12-core unit and sell it off, or should I hold it untill Gen 3 releases? And what would I be missing?"

"When is DDR5 again?"

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
With the current world leaders I don't plan more than a month ahead, except for my nuclear bomb shelter and massive power generator fuel tank. Gonna die playing Factorio in a bomb shelter, no doubt !

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
"... should I skip Threadripper 2 and hold it out for Threadripper 3?"
"I could wait the extra year, but will there be an mATX motherboard within the release year...?"
"If it doesn't but if the X399 board would run one, Should I buy a 12-core unit and sell it off, or should I hold it untill Gen 3 releases? And what would I be missing?"

"When is DDR5 again?"

I'm holding out for PCIe 4.0 to go mainstream!

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
whispers on the ether says they're going straight to PCIe 5.0 for mainstream since it's a few months difference ._. but no indicator of when boards/systems will actually implement this after paper release

still on the X399 thing though ,_, rumors say TR gen 2 will only get X399 board refreshes, but I'm still eyeing on the next (albeit) normal-sized leap (/hop) with Zen 2 / Gen 3. I'll probably be around long enough to be able to get(item); for Gen 3, but motherboard support is such an unknown ,_,

Ideally if DDR4 sticks around for Gen 3 I'd be getting the lastest one of that stack, but if it goes DDR5 or the next PCIe generation then waiting an extra year for that news only to buy Gen 2 instead would be a slight bummer ._.

not accounting for extra development time for mATX threadripper motherboards ,_,

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
Alright so the 1060 FE has a 6 pin connector (obviously). Would anything unpleasant happen if I removed the excess two pin connector that's attached to the other end of the 8-pin going into the power supply?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Not really, as long as you make sure you remove the correct ones:

You need to keep the ones with the markings | || |||

Last edited:
Reactions: Solo and Biowarejak

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
just throwing this out in the void, not sure if anyone in the area reads this:

does Dreamcore read or have an SFF forum presence here? o_o

EDIT: just came back from an AMD Ryzen 2 gathering. no plans for an NUC competitor unit so far ._.

Last edited:

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
I'm done giving my friends hardware advice. They ignore it, and then months down the line they realize the decisions they made were poor, and then end up spending more money to rectify their problems.

Reactions: Phuncz