General Chat Thread

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Last night in my DeskMini, my 7700 was idling at 54 bloody degrees with the fan profile set to performance. Early this morning, I promptly removed the treacherous Intel box cooler and 360 front flip dunked it into the trash. Hopefully tomorrow Noctua will be able to save the day. Whose idea at Intel was it to remove the copper cores from the stock coolers? They're literally just flimsy pieces of aluminum with a fan attached now.

Shocker! There have always been all alu and alu/copper ones depending on the CPU it's supplied with> 54 degrees, that IS rough. The Coffee 'N Cream Express can't arrive quick enough.
Hope it does the trick

Reactions: Solo and Biowarejak

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Speaking of DeskMini, does anyone have a 3D model of a mini STX motherboard, or know where to find one? I'd need one for a project, and am a bit surprised there are none yet in the resources section :)

Reactions: Biowarejak

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016

hmm!

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
As is mine, minus the returning bit :p

I straight up don't even know what to do now that I returned my DeskMini because of its GPU whine nonsense. That was literally an end-game machine. I'm very tempted to get another unit, but Newegg is the only retailer here and they had the audacity to charge a clean $120 restocking fee when it was all said and done.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
That eGPU is bigger than the 2013 MacPro, makes me think we (SFF community) need to show them how it's done.
to be fair, it's the outer shell that added most of the volume ._.

then again, holy heck I'm having the eGPU clip concept itch again please no I got five million self-imposed things in my mind and I only have the energy for one thing at a time aaaaaaaaaaaaa

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
There's a couple of Quadro P1000's on eBay being sold for only $199 each. About as good as the 1050 Ti equivalent so you're getting a workstation card for the price of a full height desktop card. I would like to be able to snap one up before they go but knowing me I'd probably be distracted by something else :D

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
There's a couple of Quadro P1000's on eBay being sold for only $199 each. About as good as the 1050 Ti equivalent so you're getting a workstation card for the price of a full height desktop card. I would like to be able to snap one up before they go but knowing me I'd probably be distracted by something else :D
Woah, given its length that might actually be a viable upgrade for me. I suppose that I'll keep that one in the running :)

Reactions: AleksandarK

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
They would be a better deal than the ASL 1050's since they are shorter, and the fan speed is actually adjustable so it won't be screaming all the time.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
They would be a better deal than the ASL 1050's since they are shorter, and the fan speed is actually adjustable so it won't be screaming all the time.
That is a plus, though I'd be ripping that air cooler off ;)

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
Intel had the audacity to put the HDMI out port 100 miles away from the DC in jack on the Hades Canyon machine. I'm an idiot so I ordered a USB-C to HDMI cable to make my desk look better.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Stupid Windows update. I am STILL getting update failed to install. Tried everything I could.
Now you might be saying, "just reinstall Windows", and I have. Twice. It's gotta be some hardware/driver issue, and since the problem persists after getting a new GPU, it's not that particular piece.

I think it might be time for a Ryzen upgrade. With that in mind, I am wondering, would having NVMe off the CPU rather than behind a DMI link, will I see increased SSD speeds, or can the 950Pro not saturate the link? I also worry about the slim chance Ryzen might hate my RAM.

Intel had the audacity to put the HDMI out port 100 miles away from the DC in jack on the Hades Canyon machine. I'm an idiot so I ordered a USB-C to HDMI cable to make my desk look better.
My keyboard has a USB-C cable. The cable it came with wasn't long enough, so I figured i'd use the USB-C to free up another USB-A port for all these wireless adapters I have.