Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
MRW my Stackoverflow answer hits 100 upvotes:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
https://www.dji.com/dji-goggles

I feel like a worthless human without this ! I'm curious about the image quality, something that other drone headsets tend to do badly. 110ms latency is also not "ideal" but I guess for the application it needs to do, it will suffice.

Reactions: Soul_Est

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Anandtech relays some info that Asus has a newer portable Displayport-C monitor.

And I once more go into the thinking ant spiral of "why hasn't anyone made a USB3 and Displayport to USB-C melder" and "why hasn't Nvidia and AMD added a Displayport-C port to their GPUs"

Reactions: Biowarejak

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
AMD and Nvidia probably can now that they don't have to use a specific Thunderbolt chip. If they will is another point, I doubt there are many people in need of USB-C connector for a screen on a desktop computer.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
As much as I agree it wouldn't be too bad to get DP over USB on graphics cards, at the moment there isn't a whole lot of reason for that to happen. The USB monitors so far are portable monitors like you'd use with a laptop or tablet, and work well for that, but there isn't as much reason to use them for a desktop PC that doesn't move when there's plenty of desktop monitors available. Sure there's SOME people who could use such a functionality, but it's not going to be a large portion of their market share.

AMD and NVIDIA (and their board partners) also haven't shown much interest in in using smaller sockets. DVI still exists on many cards, and Mini-DP only shows up occasionally, and was really mainly used by AMD to fit 5-6 ports on a card before MST Hubs came out.

What would be much more interesting in the desktop space would be if they started putting headers for front panel DP or HDMI on their high end cards for VR headsets. More than that, if they did make headers it might also then be possible for the headset manufacturers to create drive bay mounted link boxes running off a display header on the GPU, a USB off the motherboard and power from the internal PSU, but I won't get my hopes up for that ever happening.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Well, open mouth, insert foot, I guess.
Still, this is an example of if you build it, they will come.
Even if I don't expect other companies to follow suit (very quickly) for the reasons stated above, it's not surprising SOMEONE decided to take advantage of the existence of USB C monitors

Reactions: Biowarejak

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Jun 7, 2016
Can anyone who knows about wifi and networking suggest a guide on how to properly configure wifi?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Especially at the 57:30 mark, damn. We will have to make room for all those "enthusiasts" !

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Hmm apparently I spoke too soon: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/usb-c-portable-monitors.1289/#post-47260
MSI is already launching a GPU with USB-C. Also still DVI which makes it a little ironic.
This is an interesting point from Anandtech:

However in the longer term, I suspect this may be the first move in a larger (and very long) transition to USB-C for all display connectivity. Part of the purpose for the USB-C standard – and why groups like the VESA embrace it – is that everyone wants to solve the increasingly difficult external bandwidth problem once, and then share the technology (and a common port) rather than each group implementing their own solution. The DisplayPort and its associated cabling are coming up on a decade old and have been through 3 revisions, with the latest standard supporting ~30Gbps of cable bandwidth. Meanwhile the USB-C port and cabling system is intended to support 80Gb/sec (or more) of cable bandwidth. So while nothing has been officially announced at this time, USB-C on video cards may not just be a DisplayPort alternative, but may end up being the future of display connectivity itself.

Reactions: cmyk78 and jØrd

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
The question then becomes is this going to be displays running natively over USB or a version of DP over USB-C alt mode that actually uses that much bandwidth. Either seems likely to me.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
The question then becomes is this going to be displays running natively over USB or a version of DP over USB-C alt mode that actually uses that much bandwidth. Either seems likely to me.
Probably DP or another alternate mode. USB as a protocol is not really suitable for real-time video (see: DisplayLink, the video-over-USB standard everyone hates).
New Please excuse my ignorance: Isn't this what TB3 does?
Thunderbolt transports PCIe lanes over USB Type C. Previous versions of Thunderbolt us4ed the mini-DP connector for this so could be though of as an 'alternate mode' for that port (as TB1/TB2 ports generally also supported DP output, sometimes being able to split bandwidth between the two standards). Devices that support Thunderbolt 3 almost always also support DP Alternate Mode over Type C. In theory you could make a device that supported TB3 over Type C but not DP over Type C, but today there is little reason not to support both, as the expensive Thunderbolt controllers also support DP.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Please excuse my ignorance: Isn't this what TB3 does?
Thunderbolt is mainly used to connect high speed peripherals. It runs displays by multiplexing a Displayport (v1.2) signal into the datastream, so the only thing it allows the displays to do that DP alone can't is run a crapton of I/O ports (though a lower resolution/refresh rate DP monitor could potentially also have a USB 3.1 link on the spare lanes running to a hub in the display) and chain to another TB3 device, and, in fact, since TB3 only supports DP v1.2 at the moment, a pure DP connection is going to have more display bandwidth.

Probably DP or another alternate mode. USB as a protocol is not really suitable for real-time video (see: DisplayLink, the video-over-USB standard everyone hates).
Well there's always the slim chance the USB-IF might eventually come up with a protocol for displays that doesn't suck. I don't think HDMI over USB-C has much of any potential.