General Chat Thread

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Yeah the implementation could be hard to tackle. If the USB logic goes into the chip, a graphics crash in-game could take down the USB chain as well, so there's the chance of system instability(...? depending on the kind of devices plugged in downstream?) If the Motherboard's USB headers were used, there's the thing of which kind of header to support (USB2 or USB3 Gen 1 header or Gen 2 header).

Maybe the GPU could act as a semi-passive pass-through, so there'd be a USB hub logic part that's depending on the GPU for some kind of PCIe connection instead of relying on a separate PLX switch.

Stack the Type-C connectors 90° to the PCB and get a ton of I/O in a single slot...XD

That's it, USB hubs are dead.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'd be worried about bulky cables, it will most likely be about half the amount you'd be able to use.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
ooh, what's conformal-coating...?

*googles*

Oh wow interesting. Should I spray that to the back of my graphics card...

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Yeah it's one of those blendtec moments (IT BLENDS ANYTHING! SECURE PAPER SHREDDER!). Sometimes I get carried waaay too far in thinking of the possibilities

(was serious when I was thinking about the coating on the back, but yeah you have a point there ._.)

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
The only consumer component I've seen with a conformal coating is an ASRock overclocking board. They did that to handle the condensation when using sub-zero cooling.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Does the Samsung 950 Pro have some variation of this ?

Or should it cover the component sides too to be "conformal" ?

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
So there's this startup(?) in the area I live in that will sell speced-out ITX console-sized PCs. The case... whatisit again?

EDIT: ahh dangit, should have read the comments where I found it: It's the NFC S4 Mini. Hey!

Hey guys, I'm back! Exams are finally over, thank god for that. Expect things to happen!

Whey!!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I've had some difficulty cleaning a few matte laptop screens at work. We have a screen-cleaning spray and some micro fibre cloths that'll deal with most displays but I've had a few matte displays that I can't get spotless. Not all matte's though, most I get perfect but I have one at the office I can't get looking less of a mess than it came in.

Some general tips for this: matte displays need to be cold (so off for a while) to get clean with screen cleaning solutions and you need to keep wiping until it's dry and streakless. Glossy displays are much easier but the same tips apply.

I've also gotten this for the other keyboard gunk:

It works amazingly well for my Corsair K70 keyboard so it seems a good use for laptop keyboards.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
I keep a cover on my keyboard to prevent crap from dropping between the keys. I'm not prone to spilling liquids on my keyboard, but I'd imagine it would be useful for that, too.