SFF.Network Gemini Lake NUCs Appear on Retailer Listings

Intel has renewed it's support for the NUC platform, recently releasing Gemini Lake variants of the platform, namely the NUC7CJYH and NUC7PJYH NUCs. As you may have guessed, the "C" and "P" in the model numbers reference the inbuilt processor - either a Celeron (SR3S5) or Pentium Silver (SR3S3) Processor.

Read more here.

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
This is great and everything, but why the hell is Intel selling a worse performing, Dual-core, non-hyperthreaded, Celeron at the exact same price point as the previous model, quad core?

Reactions: rcodi

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Aug 5, 2017
This is great and everything, but why the hell is Intel selling a worse performing, Dual-core, non-hyperthreaded, Celeron at the exact same price point as the previous model, quad core?

This is what's confusing to me at the moment but I'll wait for an actual review to see how it does. I have the last gen J3455 NUC for dual duty as a basic family computer and low end Plex server which it works well enough for but a replacement would be nice if they made enough of a performance jump. I can't really find any details or comparisons beyond the Intel spec page in which the only glaring difference aside from core count is 4MB cache on the J4005 vs 2MB on the J3455. I wonder if they're going to have a delayed launch of a J4105 NUC in between the current models, because that's what looks like the real successor to the J3455 with the same core count and double the cache.

Perhaps Intel realized their low end NUC for the last gen was too powerful and stole sales from the next step up? Or maybe they're banking on people shopping in this range not even comparing previous generations and assuming the latest is greatest.

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
This is what I want to see!
Guru3d
Gigabyte Launches Brix barebones Based on Kaby Lake-R quad-cores
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/gi...arebones-based-on-kaby-lake-r-quad-cores.html

Agreed though, who knows? Maybe the dual core with some IPC overhauls and healthy turbo boosting will surpass... Although doubling down on dual cores while quad+ cores seem to be the hot ticket right now seems like a misstep regardless of the benchmark outcome.
People that don't know the differences between low cost quad cores and more complex dual cores are probably not going to look twice at these.

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
With the i5/7 models going for 4+ cores, and rumors of even certain i3s getting turbo boost, it seems like pushing quad cores without hyperthreading should be their new base model.

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 27, 2017
This is what's confusing to me at the moment but I'll wait for an actual review to see how it does. I have the last gen J3455 NUC for dual duty as a basic family computer and low end Plex server which it works well enough for but a replacement would be nice if they made enough of a performance jump. I can't really find any details or comparisons beyond the Intel spec page in which the only glaring difference aside from core count is 4MB cache on the J4005 vs 2MB on the J3455. I wonder if they're going to have a delayed launch of a J4105 NUC in between the current models, because that's what looks like the real successor to the J3455 with the same core count and double the cache.

Perhaps Intel realized their low end NUC for the last gen was too powerful and stole sales from the next step up? Or maybe they're banking on people shopping in this range not even comparing previous generations and assuming the latest is greatest.

I haven't been able to use anything that low-end as a PLEX server - Are you streaming movies, or just music? I find the bare minimum is a mobile i3, and that still chokes at 1080p streaming.

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Aug 5, 2017
I haven't been able to use anything that low-end as a PLEX server - Are you streaming movies, or just music? I find the bare minimum is a mobile i3, and that still chokes at 1080p streaming.

Yeah I haven't had issues with a single 1080p stream, just a J3455 quad with dual channel RAM and Quick Sync enabled with Plex Pass. Check it out, there are a few other reviews of the J3455 out there and they have a similar setup. I'm sure it can't handle everything out there but I haven't run into any issues yet watching basic 720/1080p stuff.

Reactions: thewizzard1