SFF.Network [SFF Network] Kaby-Lake Integrated into the Next Gen ASRock Beebox-S

One of the first 'custom' NUC based systems, the ASRock Beebox, has been given an upgrade to the latest generation Kaby-Lake processors from Intel. The Beebox-S models are now available with Intel's Core i5-7200U (2C/4T, 2.5 GHz base and 3.1 GHz Boost clocks) or i3-7100U (2C/4T, 2.4 GHz base clock) CPUs, this new generation shows well, very few changes over the previous Skylake based systems. According to the specs chart, nothing has changed at all in fact!

Read more here.

EDIT: fixed the CPU model names

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I've been looking at this unit as a candidate for a M.2 to PCIe based Gtx 1060 build. Can anyone offer me some insight into how much I could expect the 7200U version of the Beebox to bottleneck the GPU at all?

Also I think you have the specs on the 7100U and 7200U confused in the above post.

Last edited:

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Fixed. Had i3-7200u and i5-7100u whereas the 1 and 2 should have been the other way round. Both CPUs are dual cores with hyperthreading, so 2 cores, 4 threads. Have added links to each CPU moniker in the article for clarification of specs

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I see you are reporting the USB-C to be 3.0 speeds and the ASRock website is also reporting it at 3.0 speeds. All the other news outlets are saying the USB-C port is 3.1 speed.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
You're probably confused because the USB consortium made it confusing:
USB 3.1 gen 1 = USB 3.0 @ 5Gbit
USB 3.1 gen 2 = USB 3.1 @ 10Gbit

Reactions: hardcore_gamer

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I see you are reporting the USB-C to be 3.0 speeds and the ASRock website is also reporting it at 3.0 speeds. All the other news outlets are saying the USB-C port is 3.1 speed.
I'm reporting as per ASRock literature. Since they are the ones making the product, I'd like to think (wishful thinking, I know) they knew what they were sayibng :)

DarekLogic

Trash Compacter
Logic Supply
Jan 13, 2016
www.logicsupply.com
The latter is called SUPERSPEED+ to avoid confusion (not sure if it worked).
We can confirm, it didn't work :) One of our most popular recent blog posts is about this very topic.

We're currently exploring creating a more hardened enclosure for these boards that would allow them to be cooled without fans or vents. We're seeing the industrial space catch up to the consumer market in terms of 4K interest and the enhanced graphics capabilities of these Kaby Lake chips, along with the I/O compliment on these boards is appealing, especially if we can work out a way to include an additional LAN port.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Very good article! But you might want to clarify that the 100W power delivery is optional and not every USB 3.1 Gen2 port will support it.

Reactions: Soul_Est

DarekLogic

Trash Compacter
Logic Supply
Jan 13, 2016
www.logicsupply.com
Very good article! But you might want to clarify that the 100W power delivery is optional and not every USB 3.1 Gen2 port will support it.
Thank's for the kind words (and for the likes everyone). We've added some additional clarification about the 100W only being available on supported hardware, not necessarily every USB 3.1 Gen 2 port. Thank you for that note.