Gaming laptop or no?

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 19, 2017
Thoughts on buying a gaming laptop right now with the way the GPU market is currently .
I'm thinking about buying an Asus GL503VS . It has a 1080p 144hz gsync display, gtx 1070, 7700hq, 256gb nvme SSD, and a 1tb firecuda along with 16gb of ram.
The original plan was for me to build a 1440p rig this go around but prices are so outrageous I don't think I can get away with building a similarly specced pc for less than 1900 and that has to include the price of the monitor, and I know the laptop is only 1080p and that's fine. I don't mind either way. But regardless that price needs to include a 144hz gsync display. Or 120hz doesn't matter I don't guess and I'd like to have a 1070 as well. Prices are just too insane right now.
Thoughts?

Zuuk

Average Stuffer
Apr 17, 2016
Gaming laptops have really come long ways with the Pascal cards being pretty much equal to their desktop brethren. I've had 17" Clevo based unit with a desktop 6700 and desktop grade 980, and I've had a Razer blade 14 with a 7700HQ and 1060.

I enjoyed gaming on the 17" machine more since it had a 75hz g-sync monitor and a bigger screen...but you lose the portability aspect.
The blade was awesome aesthetic wise but ran hot and 14" screen + gaming was not optimal.

I just saw a barebone coffeelake 15" Clevo chassis on eBay that had a 120hz screen and 1060 for 799€ ( 850$). Slap on a i5 8400, a cheap stick of DDR4 sodimm and your choice of m.2 SSD / SSHD etc. For little over a grand you'd have a six core laptop with a 1060...which 2 years back would have been unheard of.

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Aug 5, 2017
If you absolutely have to have it now then it's probably a viable choice until GPU prices tank but doesn't really seem like a smart decision long term. You're looking at the standard laptop problems which are exasperated with gaming laptops: rapid depreciation, limited/no upgrade path, poor ergonomics versus a desktop.

I think if you can just be patient and wait until the GPU market gets better then a desktop is always going to be more practical unless you absolutely have to be mobile, I tried the gaming laptop and even eGPU lifestyle before and it's just a road of compromises.

I noticed before posting that this was a month old thread bump but the situation hasn't changed much since then so hopefully I can dissuade a few other people that stumble upon this thread.