Gamecube PC Build (2.62 Liters) (It's back yo)

jack77777

What's an ITX?
Jun 11, 2017
HI, registered here just to follow this project, I am definitely curious to see how this will turn out and I am very tempted to build my own PC-Cube.

Personally, I might go for a setup without a dGPU, hoping that I then won't have to create a hole in the bottom as you suggested for your build, I want to keep the original case as untouched as possible. I"ll probably wait to see how the upcoming AMD APUs holdup before I make a decision on components.

Regarding your mock-ups, I noticed that the SSD seems to be missing? Where are you planning to fit that one in? Looks very tight on the two images you've shown us.

Would definitely love to hear more about your project!

Reactions: ejectbutton

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
How would I tell what's a good cooler for this build then? Smaller coolers like the silverstones don't strike me as being capable of cooling a non-t CPU, especially under load, unless I'm misunderstanding that.

I only meant small in terms of plan area over the mobo. I would think, however, that all other things equal, the size of the cooler isn't as important as how much ventilation/airflow you have for exhausting the heat out of the case. Like may others, I'm using a Cryorig C7 with a 65W CPU (i5-7500 in my case) and because my case has great ventilation/airflow, it works like a champ. That and the cooler fan is right up against a sidepanel, so it has access to fresh cool air.

ejectbutton

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
Hello, Quick update:

Most parts have arrived, and I've acquired myself a platinum GC case for the build.
I did end up getting a silverstone low profile CPU cooler in response to that situation, fits wonderfully. Tested in another build, works perfect, thanks to jtd on that one.

However, I've began testing parts, and what I'm sure is the first of many problems has cropped up. I attached only the standard STX system stuff (sodimm ram, board, cpu, SSD, 19v external psu). The motherboard won't post at all. In fact, the only indication that the system is even receiving power is by the CPU fan spinning on throwing the power switch.

I at first thought this was problem with Kaby Lake compatibility, so I borrowed a friend's i3 6100 to boot it and flash the BIOS, but still, nothing. No image. Monitor doesn't even detect input, let alone anything beyond a black screen.

So I went through a troubleshoot, switched dimm slots, attempted to reset cemos, used different hdmi cables, used displayport instead, used different monitors, used stock box cooler... Still nothing.

You guys think I've just got a dead board, or am I doing something wrong? There's not a lot of clear documentation on the board (ASUS H110S2), so I'm not completely sure I'm doing everything right either.

Reactions: CubanLegend

ejectbutton

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
Oh of course, while I have acquired a GC case for the build I haven't started assembling the system inside it yet. The system will fully operable before being thrown in the case. My assumption at the moment is that the board is defective, agreed, though I'm sure you guys know better than I do.

That Guy B

Minimal Tinkerer
May 31, 2017
Oh of course, while I have acquired a GC case for the build I haven't started assembling the system inside it yet. The system will fully operable before being thrown in the case. My assumption at the moment is that the board is defective, agreed, though I'm sure you guys know better than I do.

Check your bios. Kaby Lake processors do not work on the 100 Series Intel boards without a bios update. Unfortunately, the only way to really do this is if you have another 1151 CPU that you can slot in the board. :/

Reactions: SeñorDonut

Brian_Buckley

Trash Compacter
Sep 26, 2017
Also just registered to follow this project. I'm new to SFF builds, but I'd love to build one of these with a higher powered CPU for streaming purposes if possible (a good GPU isn't really required for encoding either). Are you going with the lower power CPU for temperature concerns?
Is there any way to view @That Guy B 's photos?

ejectbutton

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
That is correct, I'm running the G4560 with the expectation that airflow is not great in this plastic box. However, should it avoid throttling I may consider grabbing a i7 7700 (or similar) somewhere along the line (Alongside a Vega Nano, the hype is real!).
That Guy B's photos worked when he posted them, though they appear to have broken.. I'm not sure there's any way to view it now. I'm regretting not saving them myself now, the comparison was helpful.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Brian_Buckley

Trash Compacter
Sep 26, 2017
Thinking about it more, I wonder if it'd be easier (as well as cleaner) to get a 3D model of a GameCube case, modify the model to fit the PC better, and 3D print it as opposed to hacking up an original GameCube. You'd also be able to get it in metal at that point, which would look cool as well as probably help with cooling (metal + easier-to-make air vents on the side).

I really want to do this build myself now. I'd be using it for production work and would need to put a high end capture card (pcie x4) in it though. I'm considering building two, one with the capture card and no dedicated GPU, and one with a GPU and better CPU for encoding (first would output captured video to the second for encoding). Capture cards do get pretty hot though, so it'd need its own fan below it.

Here's an example of a 3D model for a GameCube with all the components cut out. There seems to be tons of them available. As far as cooling goes, would there be room to put fans across the side like where they are originally? Using a 3D printed model would also allow for better ventilation on the sides, and the lack of optical drive would allow for extra space at the top.

Brian_Buckley

Trash Compacter
Sep 26, 2017
Never mind, just realized how much metals cost still. Well, the concept would still apply to other 3D print materials, assuming accuracy wouldn't be as big of an issue.

ObjectEvent

Case Bender
Oct 7, 2017
I'm surprised no one has thought of mass-producing a separate, slightly larger GameCube PC case yet. The top disc drive could work, along with USB ports instead of GameCube controller slots.

Reactions: Biowarejak

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I'm surprised no one has thought of mass-producing a separate, slightly larger GameCube PC case yet.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The Panasonic Q is almost that, an extra-large GameCube that also has media player capabilities. It's be a ghost of a chance for someone to mod a PC build into it, though. Those Panasonics must be prized collection items.

ObjectEvent

Case Bender
Oct 7, 2017
Well, there's an NES-themed Raspberry Pi case I saw somewhere... A GameCube one similar to that wouldn't be too far-fetched.

joedr3dd

What's an ITX?
Nov 6, 2017
Disclaimer: First thread, I've no idea how to operate this :)

I've been a lurker on this forum for a while now and now I've got something to contribute:
The Gamecube Build.

Working on a better name for it still, shh. I've seen computer builds inside the hollow shells of them before, but always with integrated CPUs, Pico ITX, or simply strapping a Pi Zero to a gamecube shell and calling it a day. However, after some research I believe it's possible now to build a fully gaming capable system inside one of these puppies.

Part Selection
To start, the main case is 5.9 × 6.3 × 4.3 in, the dimension from front to back being the longest at 6.3. From here, this helps narrow down component choice.

Key:
Red: Undecided
Yellow: Working on it
Green: Checked Off

Motherboard:
Completely thanks to the recent rise of Mini STX, the build is possible. I've chosen the ASUS H110S2 for the job. Cheap, has all the necessary support, and of course the M key m.2 slot for conversion to pcie x4.

Processor:
I've been dead set of using a G4560 since the build's inception. The hyperthreaded dual core with an impressively low 54w TDP makes it a shoe-in, in my mind anyway.

CPU Cooler:
I've gone with a Noctua LP cooler. It actually does not fully fit, but I'm banking on my ability to cut the heat sink to make it fit.

RAM:
8GB of DDR4 Sodimm. Team Elite stuff, 2133 mhz.

Graphics card:
Again, one of the larger parts, this was a concern. A 1050ti was the obvious choice for the endeavor, as several short pcb card fit the bill at 5.9 inches in length. You'd think a LP card would be even better, but all LP 1050tis come in at 6.3 inches or more in length as of the time of writing, cutting them out of the picture. I decided on the EVGA 1050ti SC.

SSD:
Western Digital Blue 256 GB SSD. Solid, hopefully is disassemble-able a la STX 1.60.

Power supply:
The HDPLEX 160w DC-ATX is a solid platform for DC voltage conversion for the powered riser, and a power brick was chosen, an alienware one coming in at 330w. Way overkill, but it was almost the same price as the 230w.

Adapters:
Good lord, the adapters. I'd love to have a better understanding of how powering the stx board through the HDplex was done in STX 160.0, but alas. m.2 M key to pcie x4, 1 usb 2.0 with 4 slots, the GC controller adapter, a powered x4 to x16 pcie riser (at least 7 inches in length),

Wifi card: Yes, if this build wasn't stupid enough already, I'm shooting for wifi. The thought here is to use the other m.2 slot for the chip, then run the antenna as a wire out through the Gamecube's carry handle. Please, let me know if I'm misunderstanding how these wifi cards work, I'm the opposite of an expert on this.

Gamecube:
A friend just recently gave me a perfect condition platinum Cube specifically for this build. I'm planning on using it if no other broken cubes reveal themselves, as I'm still hesitant to tear apart a functioning one.

Index
TBC

Open questions from OP to the forum:

I'll be adding a few pics and updating as time goes on. Thanks for reading!
Hi nice setup. I. May be being dumb but the board you ordered doesn't have pcix slots how are you going to use the 1050 on it

ejectbutton

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
As it so happens, I just got some of the final adapters for the build. Posting pics in a second. We're seeing the guts of the thing outside of the case, but so far the measurements are sound and everything will fit, assuming everything works. The m.2 to PCIE x4 adapter didn't end up working or even fitting properly, so I've thrown out some cash and gotten a EXP GDC Beast v9. The thing took about a month and a half to arrive too. These things are supposed to be for connecting discrete GPUs to laptops, but hopefully it will serve my methods well.

Update regarding the booting issues, it turns out that in some ways, everyone was right. The system wasn't posting because I needed a Skylake chip, but strangely the i3 6100 just.. didn't count? It wouldn't post with that chip either. So as a last ditch effort after exhausting all other options, including ordering a second H110 STX board, I ordered the exact skylake chip others had used to post it: The Pentium G4400. And.. it posted, first shot. No hitches. It boggles my mind. Anyway, the bios flash was successful, and the G4560 runs happily now.

Update regarding the GPU situation: EXP GDC thing won't turn on? It appears there is a slot for a switch for power, but there is no switch installed?? Does anyone have experience with this?

Photos below, gimme a sec.