Gamecube PC Build (2.62 Liters) (It's back yo)

Afterburner

Cable Smoosher
Dec 11, 2018
This is very good to know, thanks buddy. I guess this has made a decision for me; I was trying to decide if I should stick to the WiFi card I have, or use a dongle for that, and have my storage ssd directly on the board. If it means I potentially have more lanes, then I think that's the way I'm going to have to go. I guess it clears up some of the excess wires inside the case as a by product too.

Also cheers dude! I'm really just struggling with the power delivery, everything else is either done, or a known quantity.

Since we’re working on such similar projects, I’d be more than happy to help in any way possible! You mentioned struggling with power delivery, what’s your current plan? Just to double check, you know that the h110s2’s Sata power connector can power the gpu?

EDIT: regarding your changes to the last message, I honestly don’t know, I contacted ASUS SPECIFICALLY to ask about lane allocation (actually to see if using a sata drive lowered the m.2 speed down to 2x, but as mentioned, I got a totally useless response....long story short I don’t have a clue. They made it out that sata drives DO lower the speed, but most CPU’s for this board have 16 pcie lanes, as well as the chipset supporting this many, so I’d assume all ports would be capped minimum 4x (8x between the sata ports and 8x between the 2 m.2 slots)

EDIT 2: just read through your own thread on your build, totally missed that you had switched to a more powerful GPU, I can see your issue :\

Last edited:
Reactions: Ross Siggers

Ross Siggers

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 10, 2018
*** I edited the previous post btw, I wasn't sure if the M.2's would also fight for bandwith like the regular sata ports...I don't suppose you managed to glean this information from tech support too? XD Thanks man, I'm glad for any kind of help! ***

My current plan is to squeeze a Dynamo Mini / HDplex160 into the corner of the chassis. From what I've seen since I made that desicion, it doesn't seem necessary. But I'd also contacted ASUS support, to ask the max power I could put through the board, and they kind of scared me by saying "up to 120w", which I didn't think would be enough for build with a dedicated GPU(using a sata-powered riser). I was using the STX.160 as inspiration and obviously he squeezed in a power supply.

Seeing people's builds now, it does seem a bit silly, but I'd still like to persevere. Also opens upgrade possibilities a tiny bit, I could either jump to a processor that isn't low tdp, or put in a 1060. I'd probably go the gpu route if I did...cpu thermals aren't ideal ,_,

Last edited:

Afterburner

Cable Smoosher
Dec 11, 2018
In regards to the internal psu I’m totally hopeless XD using a 1050ti meant I could thankfully bypass the need for it and just use the on board sata connector as mentioned, but I can see that’s not an option for you, though I can maybe offer some helpful information regarding motherboard power

First off, my god ASUS has bad customer support o_O was well over a week before I heard back from 2nd line support, and 1st line didn’t even try. I wouldn’t fully trust anything the say honestly.

Secondly, don’t worry about going over 120w, I use a 330w psu for the same reason you mentioned wanting more watts, possible upgradabity. It’ll only draw as much Amps as it needs. Voltage on the other hand is where, in typical ASUS fashion, things get a tad sketchy. One manual in the motherboard box tells that the board can support both 12v AND 19v inputs, yet another leaflet also included in the box tells that it’s actually only 19v?? I’d imagine the former is the one to trust but maybe something to look in to.

Reactions: owliwar

Afterburner

Cable Smoosher
Dec 11, 2018
UPDATE 2:
The case is now sporting a much more appealing spice orange colour! The front panel and power button also got a quick coat of white to help make them look “cleaner”, definitely an improvement over the standard black cube I had. I’ve also added some rubber feet to the bottom of the case to help give it some ground clearance so the gpu can draw air a bit easier (still need to drill the holes for it though)

Functionally the pc is also now 99% finished, the new riser I got now let’s the card perform at full 4x hen 2 speeds (making what ASUS support told me complete garbage) meaning any game now runs far better than on the 1x riser I had previously, definitely worth the fact that the riser cost me an arm and a leg XD the only part that still remains are the aerials for the Wi-fi and BT module, which should be here within the week.

As for fixing the top to the bottom, since I’ll be moving it around quite a bit, I’m thinking of using 4 L brackets to hold it together, hopefully it won’t be too much of an eyesore, though it’ll be worth it if it means I can actually carry it without it falling to pieces

Last update will be released as soon as I have everything finished, which hopefully won’t be long, it’ll be great seeing all the time, effort and especially money that I’ve put in really pay off :)

Last edited:

mrp0p1nfr3sh

Average Stuffer
Sep 4, 2017
UPDATE 2:
The case is now sporting a much more appealing spice orange colour! The front panel and power button also got a quick coat of white to help make them look “cleaner”, definitely an improvement over the standard black cube I had. I’ve also added some rubber feet to the bottom of the case to help give it some ground clearance so the gpu can draw air a bit easier (still need to drill the holes for it though)

Functionally the pc is also now 99% finished, the new riser I got now let’s the card perform at full 4x hen 2 speeds (making what ASUS support told me complete garbage) meaning any game now runs far better than on the 1x riser I had previously, definitely worth the fact that the riser cost me an arm and a leg XD the only part that still remains are the aerials for the Wi-fi and BT module, which should be here within the week.

As for fixing the top to the bottom, since I’ll be moving it around quite a bit, I’m thinking of using 4 L brackets to hold it together, hopefully it won’t be too much of an eyesore, though it’ll be worth it if it means I can actually carry it without it falling to pieces

Last update will be released as soon as I have everything finished, which hopefully won’t be long, it’ll be great seeing all the time, effort and especially money that I’ve put in really pay off :)

Can you post photos of how you are mounting it in the Case

Afterburner

Cable Smoosher
Dec 11, 2018
About powered M2 to PCI-E riser, there is STX version: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32900523431.html
Damn, I always find out about these risers when it’s too late XD hopefully the one I’ve used will suffice, but to anyone else copying the builds in this thread that riser looks like the one to pick up :thumb:

Can you post photos of how you are mounting it in the Case
Certainly! Though the solution is definitely not the most ideal one. Basically what I’ve done is cover both the underside of the motherboard and the back of the gpu in several layers of insulating tape.

FIRST EDIT: unsure whether it’s my current mounting solution that’s done it or whether it’s just my bad luck, but my gpu has bricked, no output. The pc won’t boot while the gpu is connected, though works perfectly without it. You can see in the first picture that my plan was to just stack the two parts on top of one another as the electrical tape should really prevent any form of shorts, interference, etc between the two. Due to college finals and other things taking up most of my schedule I’m unable to dedicate a lot of time right now to isolating the problem, but any time I can give to fixing it will be done so, and I will edit this post when I come up with a solution to the problem

Last edited:

ejectbutton

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
Hey guys, first off I wanted to say, Afterburner, your build last posted was coming along great. I hope you figured out the gpu issue. Ross, your dreamcast build is phenomenal, and while I wasn't logged in, it hurt my soul too, knowing the lp dimms do in fact exist. Coulda used em! Finally, that is in fact me posting as dmjanitor over on reddit. Never got around to posting this project anywhere else, finally did. Bocaj, hopefully I can post some benchmarks soon. We will see, I'm heading into another busy time.

Kerby2000

Cable Smoosher
Mar 14, 2020
I'm looking to do a similar build in a Gamecube, but using an ASRock AM4 A300 Mobo. How do the DC/ATX power converters, like the HDPLEX 200W work? I'm assuming you just plug the AC/DC power brick into the converter, but then what would you use to connect the converter back to the motherboard? I'm sorry if these are simple questions, this is my first ultra SFF build.

Ross Siggers

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 10, 2018
I'm looking to do a similar build in a Gamecube, but using an ASRock AM4 A300 Mobo. How do the DC/ATX power converters, like the HDPLEX 200W work? I'm assuming you just plug the AC/DC power brick into the converter, but then what would you use to connect the converter back to the motherboard? I'm sorry if these are simple questions, this is my first ultra SFF build.

Dude don't worry I got you! I went through this whole debacle with my first SFF build just over a year ago, I was VERY confused...my motherboard manual also had a typo regarding the voltage requirement, which didn't help!!

Essentially you need to split the power into two separate leads, one that directly powers the motherboard with 19V from the brick... and one that goes to the HDplex, that steps it down and supplied 12V for normal components. My build was similar to this; an STX board, but I wanted to run a dedicated gpu. Have a read, the thread should elaborate :)

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/help-with-power-delivery-stx-gpu.9595/page-4#post-144053

Last edited:

Ross Siggers

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 10, 2018
@Kerby2000 yup that'd be perfect, what I will say is that further down the line, once everything is working, I'd look into custom making a cable. Only because I can see that being awkwardly bulky in such a tiny case. Speaking from experience XD

Reactions: Kerby2000