Discussion FSP Flex Guru 500W Black (80 Plus Gold)

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Sep 26, 2020
So you all know, a lot of cases require a FlexATX PSU. I recently came across this PSU on Amazon which boasts 500W, rated 80 Plus Gold (≥90% efficiency). Most importantly, everything comes in black (PSU and cables), making it look good in cases that require a FlexATX PSU. Has anyone ever used this PSU in their case?

I put together a PCPartPicker list with the PSU and a 3070:

I am also wondering if 500W 80+ Gold is enough for a 3070...

Info would be very much appreciated!

Reactions: Acalanata

Lucas

Caliper Novice
Oct 19, 2020
So you all know, a lot of cases require a FlexATX PSU. I recently came across this PSU on Amazon which boasts 500W, rated 80 Plus Gold (≥90% efficiency). Most importantly, everything comes in black (PSU and cables), making it look good in cases that require a FlexATX PSU. Has anyone ever used this PSU in their case?

I put together a PCPartPicker list with the PSU and a 3070:

I am also wondering if 500W 80+ Gold is enough for a 3070...

Info would be very much appreciated!

Enough for a 3070, I'm aiming for a 3080 but I think it will fall short.

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020
you can always undervolt if you're concerned about power draw. I would check out the youtube channel Optimum Tech, he did a for the 3080 and 3090 and they are able to drop quite a bit of power draw while maintaining stock or better boost clocks. You could also check for builds with a 2070s and your CPU, the 3070 only pulls 5ish more watts.

Reactions: Phuncz

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Sep 26, 2020
you can always undervolt if you're concerned about power draw. I would check out the youtube channel Optimum Tech, he did a for the 3080 and 3090 and they are able to drop quite a bit of power draw while maintaining stock or better boost clocks. You could also check for builds with a 2070s and your CPU, the 3070 only pulls 5ish more watts.
I wouldn't really trust the TDP though...

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020
349Wtotal estimated power draw should be well within the safe range of operation, even if it spikes above that you're well within a safe range. OP, if you're concerned about it, the Enhance 7660B 600w is a much better unit with none of the fan noise issues of the FSP. You can get it for $30ish more on Amazon or for $139 on the Velkase website. I think he is offering an all-black unit with shortened cables at some point, but not sure when. I just sent a request to him on the availability and can update once I hear back. You can always just unscrew the top cover of the stock unit and spray paint it, the cable lengths and color are the only real issues with it.

You can also order a modified modular Enhance PSU from Geeekstore in a number of different wattages. I just got their 600w version and have yet to test it out. Can also update after I give it a run. Most FSP units I've tried have been super loud and will more than likely require a fan swap to be bearable.