FlexGuru 500w flex atx power supply mods

FreshGnar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 23, 2020
I bought a FlexGuru 500w flex atx power supply for use in my custom sleeper build and then heavily modified it.
I figured I would make a new thread to document my mods to this unit specifically.

Here is how it originally came. (link to amazon)

I used this video from Optimum tech as a guide to depinning my connectors and custom sleeving my cables.

I chose to leave the heatshrink on the end of the cable which isn't as clean but it was less tedious and most of the connectors cant be seen anyway.

I actually measured incorrectly when cutting the 24pin cables to length so I had to redo them.

To save space in this incredibly tight build, I end up cutting out the sata cables since I am only using an nvme for storage.
I marked the cables using some simple wire caps to the corresponding pin on the connector in case I ever wanted to add them back.

I also switched out the stock fan for fa 40mm noctua one.
The stock fan was 15mm thick and noctua only makes a 10mm and 20mm.

I opted for the thicker 20mm one to avoid a visible gap, but that meant modifying the outer casing for the fan to protrude.

I decided to paint the Noctua fan black because I really didnt want the Noctua tan and brown clashing with the rest of the system (even though it might not even be seen.) Also with a fan this small I wasn't worried about affecting performance by painting it.

And the final product

And here is it in the build

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
Were you lucky to not have any double wires on this one? That's what prevents me from doing my own cables, since I haven't figured out a good way to do them.

FreshGnar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 23, 2020
Were you lucky to not have any double wires on this one? That's what prevents me from doing my own cables, since I haven't figured out a good way to do them.

There was one double wire on the 24pin so what I did was just sleeve one and tuck the other out of sight

Last edited:

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Congrats!
Must have been lots of work for this tight packed build!
So tight we don't even see where the PSU is! More pics and build parts please, the case looks interesting!

Good job also with the sleeving, your curved 24pin reminds me of the one in my MiniCube build, link in my sig if you want to have a look.

And oh, is it a right angled DisplayPort next to the two HDMI? They all look very low profile, any more info where to get them?

FreshGnar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 23, 2020
Congrats!
Must have been lots of work for this tight packed build!
So tight we don't even see where the PSU is! More pics and build parts please, the case looks interesting!

Good job also with the sleeving, your curved 24pin reminds me of the one in my MiniCube build, link in my sig if you want to have a look.

And oh, is it a right angled DisplayPort next to the two HDMI? They all look very low profile, any more info where to get them?

Thanks!

You can find more deets on the build here
Theres also a flickr album there containing photos of the entire build process.

Yes, both display ports have 90 degree adapters and a right angle extension cable.

90 degree adapter

display port extension cable

hdmi extension cable

Reactions: BaK