Power Supply Flex-ATX 600W+, what's the latest?

Lucas

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 19, 2020
Hi, I've been reading through the forum for advice on Flex-ATX 600W+.
I've seen some from FSP, GEEK, and so on. Although I've seen no clear choice.

I'd like to know if you've tried any 600W flex ATX, how it has performing and for how long.
Also I'd like to know if anyone has heard or seen any news about upcoming Flex-ATX PSUs in that range.

My aim is to run a 3080 + 5950X, and I am pretty sure 500W wont do it.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
@REVOCCASES seems to have a lot of knowledge on this subject

There is a new 700w FLEX offered by YTC which looks promising. I haven't tested it but YTC usually doesn't sell crap.

if your case allows it I would go for some 1U server PSU like this one:

They usually have higher efficiency and therefore running cooler and a bit more silent.

Reactions: timginter

Lucas

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 19, 2020
There is a new 700w FLEX offered by YTC which looks promising. I haven't tested it but YTC usually doesn't sell crap.

They usually have higher efficiency and therefore running cooler and a bit more silent.

Thanks, I have never heard about Taobao, is it like any other retailer? Can't understand the language haha.
Haven't heard about YTC either, I just want to make sure not to burn my components. Looks very promising.
Do you know if they ship internationally? Do you have links that are not phone-links? I can't open them :(

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Thanks, I have never heard about Taobao, is it like any other retailer? Can't understand the language haha.
Haven't heard about YTC either, I just want to make sure not to burn my components. Looks very promising.
Do you know if they ship internationally? Do you have links that are not phone-links? I can't open them :(

If you are not familiar with buying from China (TaoBao) your best choice is probably the Enhance 600W FLEX.

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
Here's a clip of some info I posted for someone on reddit who was based in U.S. and looking to buy a K39 V2 case.

I bought the Enhance 7660b without any dodgy modifications. I plan on making it modular myself with custom length sleeved cables. Don't get the fan replacement either, the noctua a4x20 does not push enough air to cool this unit at full load.
Some of it is relevant, can't be hooped rewriting it all, sorry. I'm UK based FYI.

Taobao ships direct to the U.S. without a need to use an agent with a couple of caveats.

No quality control - Using an agent will grant you photos of the item to make sure it's what you actually ordered and leaves the opportunity to return though with an item as simple as an aluminium box, I'm sure you'll be fine.
Tax - I'm not up on U.S. import tax laws but you might have to pay customs a fee on goods entering the country. Most agents will help you... ahem... sidestep this issue by declaring goods at a lower value but this isn't full-proof. There are a million posts, guides and info on this to be had though the K39 is so cheap, I doubt fees will be very expensive.
Effort - Going direct means using Taobao, Alipay and Aliwangwang (a chat program and only way to talk to sellers). My account was suspended due to "suspicious activity" or some such (apparently this is quite common with foreign accounts) until I went on live chat and got them to call me to unblock my account. I also have to use an agent since I live in the U.K. so I use Basetao's "ship to me" service so I don't pay the usual service fees, just a modest extra on shipping.

All of my items are still sitting in Basetao's warehouse as I'm still waiting on a couple more items coming in and then I'll post most of it together to reduce shipping costs so I can't tell you what international postage is like but that's going to vary pretty widely depending on a few different factors such as: how quickly the seller dispatches the item. This is usually pretty quick if it's a common item but bear in mind it's fairly common for sellers to buy the item themselves only after you've bought it from them. This is common with more expensive or less popular items. It'll also depend on which shipping company you choose to ship with as well as if customs (both Chinese and U.S.) care about seizing, inspecting or otherwise interfering with your parcel. Some items may take just a few days, other may take weeks.

EDIT: My recommendation would be to shop direct with Taobao.
Install Aliwangwang (I installed it on a VM as I don't trust that it's not malware), and get good at translating chinese in google translate on the fly and make sure the seller understands exactly what you want before you order.

Only buy from sellers with plenty of feedback (go and look at how the Taobao feedback system works) one diamond is essential, five is better, crowns better still.

Use a credit card with 0% foreign transaction fees or prepared to be stung by your bank. Credit cards will also afford you an extra level of protection against fraud or non delivery of goods.

I've went and written an actual essay on how to use Taobao here, haha, hopefully you and some others can benefit from my experience though.

Lucas

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 19, 2020
Here's a clip of some info I posted for someone on reddit who was based in U.S. and looking to buy a K39 V2 case.

I bought the Enhance 7660b without any dodgy modifications. I plan on making it modular myself with custom length sleeved cables. Don't get the fan replacement either, the noctua a4x20 does not push enough air to cool this unit at full load.
Some of it is relevant, can't be hooped rewriting it all, sorry. I'm UK based FYI.

Thanks! I'm based in Sweden, doesn't seem like they ship here sadly. :(

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
Thanks! I'm based in Sweden, doesn't seem like they ship here sadly. :(
Despair not! You can still use a shipping agent. Using Basetao's 'ship to me' service and doing the shopping on Taobao yourself will be cheaper than getting an agent to do the buying for you as they charge service fees to do the leg work. Just be sure you can't get the same item for the same or less with postage via aliexpress or similar first as postage can add up.

BakaBazooka

Chassis Packer
Nov 15, 2020

I actually ordered this recently and did some research into the PSU and Company.
I posted it on reddit:

BakaBazooka

Chassis Packer
Nov 15, 2020
Yeah, I saw your post the other day. Very good research!

Looking forward to your update once you have received it.
I was just looking through the forums and saw your post. You seem to be an expert in PSU. Can I get opinions on the components? That would be me at ease, just a little.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I was just looking through the forums and saw your post. You seem to be an expert in PSU. Can I get opinions on the components? That would be me at ease, just a little.

Well, it looks better than many other cheap taobao Flex PSUs I've seen but I doubt it will be in the league of Enhance, Delta, Liteon, etc. The low price must come from somewhere, right...

I have tested a 600W SFX Psu from that exact company sometime ago. Nothing to complain about safety features etc but it ran damn hot under load and they didn't use the best components. But hey, it was only 50 bucks. Also I wasn't able to pull more than 500W from it before it shut down (not sure OC or OT protection triggered).

Back to the FLEX: I guess it should be OK for a build with up to 500W but let's wait and see how it performs when you get it.

Reactions: BakaBazooka

Lucas

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 19, 2020
I actually ordered this recently and did some research into the PSU and Company.
I posted it on reddit:

That's interesting! From what site did you order it, not sure where you are located.
Right now I'm looking at the Silverstone Flex ATX 500W, but not sure it will cut it. Changed my mind and went with a 3070

BakaBazooka

Chassis Packer
Nov 15, 2020
That's interesting! From what site did you order it, not sure where you are located.
Right now I'm looking at the Silverstone Flex ATX 500W, but not sure it will cut it. Changed my mind and went with a 3070
I order through Taobao with a local company who handles the shipping. IIRC, people in the US use superbuy ? You can maybe try that.

Got the weight from the seller, its about 1.3kg.