CPU HDPLEX 400W rev 1.4 vs latest - or Flex ATX?

Naata

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Jun 27, 2021
Hi all!
I have a problem and maybe you could help me out. I'm planning a build in case that uses Flex ATX PSU.
I measured that my system power draw at about 250W so I know I can get away with HDPLEX 400W + Dell 330W power brick.

Question 1:
I have an option of buying latest revision of HDPLEX 400W for around 100$ or rev 1.4 for about 70$
Rev 1.4 is this one:

Is it worth it to go extra 30$ just to get latest version of HDPLEX?

Qustion 2:
I know that Flex ATX are noisy as hell. The only quiet ones are Enhance 7660b and Silverstone FX600, but they're much more expensive that HDPLEX + power brick option.
The only cheaper alternative is to use Silverstone FX350 ( i can buy it for 82$), but it's noisy, and Noctua fan swap seems like a bad idea as it can kill PSU due to overheat.
I found this PSU: https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/1005...lo2pol&spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.65823c00H21poK&mp=1 and review says that original Delta 500W, but I don't know if it can be trusted.
Any idea what would be best/cheapest? ;)

I really want my build to be reasonably quiet, and definitely not sound like jet engine due to PSU.
Any ideas?

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
Seasonic ssp-300sug. I've done a bit of background work on this recently for a lower load application, but up to 240W at 25 degreeC ambients the fan stays at just over 3krpm.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
I don't know much about how that hdplex version differs but I have the original release version and have put about 300 watts on it for 4 years now without any active cooling on it at all and it has been solid. The heatsink on it seems to be huge overkill. I can't even notice if it gets warm.

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
I found this PSU: https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/1005...lo2pol&spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.65823c00H21poK&mp=1 and review says that original Delta 500W, but I don't know if it can be trusted.
Any idea what would be best/cheapest? ;)

I really want my build to be reasonably quiet, and definitely not sound like jet engine due to PSU.
Any ideas?

Absolutely not, another user here ordered a similar "Delta PSU" And the only thing legit about it was the sticker, the inside was some garbage tier 200W psu. I wouldn't just trust it because 1 reviewer got a legit unit, I wouldn't get any of the Chinese modified Flex PSU's.

Considering your power requirements i'd just go with the HDPlex 400W, easier cable management as well.
The 1.4 is probably fine, just make sure all accessories are included and that it hasn't been messed with.

Reactions: Phuncz

aromachi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 18, 2019
I use one of these in my custom ITX case. Cheap, powerful, (and loud if you keep the 40mm fan in there). I only needed 250w, but at this price they're easy to replace if it craps out, which it hasn't after 2 years of gaming almost every other night. If you have room in your case I'd say swap out the PSU casing for mesh and mount a larger fan next to it to draw heat away. 40mm fans are way too noisy.

Last edited by a moderator: