Log First SFF build - What could go wrong?

Scytes

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 12, 2020
Hey all!

I've built my own PCs for awhile now, that said, I travel for a living - a lot. So I of course have turned to what so many have - a SFF travel friendly system that will get the job done!

With the help of a reddit user named Cyberintel13 (hell who am I kidding - HE is the only reason I got this far fitting this small thing out so he is owed a big shout out) I've compiled this list of parts.

I've got one thing I'm starting to struggle with even though I've gotten all the parts on the way - the case...I'm just struggling a bit with the size of the case I got though I'm impressed by the reviews on how well it can perform at keeping temps down and performance high!

I'd love an honest review - and I mean honest, if you see something absolutely stupid tear into me on it as I can't fix what I don't realize I'm doing wrong. But after you're done taking me to school if you could, throw me a suggestion to look at as well, I listen to any advice I get and I think (hell I know) making these SFF builds is going to be my expensive new hobby so I'd like to learn as I build these for friends and family (who am I kidding I'll keep all of them like the crazy cat lady hoards cats.)

The List (If you laugh, I understand):

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($190.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i chromax.black 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ax Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Storage: Sabrent Rocket Q 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB PULSE Video Card
Case: Silverstone RVZ03B-ARGB Mini ITX Desktop Case ($147.26 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 550 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($128.94 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Scythe Kaze Flex 120 PWM 51.17 CFM 120 mm Fan ($13.85 @ Amazon)

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Hey all!

I've built my own PCs for awhile now, that said, I travel for a living - a lot. So I of course have turned to what so many have - a SFF travel friendly system that will get the job done!

With the help of a reddit user named Cyberintel13 (hell who am I kidding - HE is the only reason I got this far fitting this small thing out so he is owed a big shout out) I've compiled this list of parts.

I've got one thing I'm starting to struggle with even though I've gotten all the parts on the way - the case...I'm just struggling a bit with the size of the case I got though I'm impressed by the reviews on how well it can perform at keeping temps down and performance high!

I'd love an honest review - and I mean honest, if you see something absolutely stupid tear into me on it as I can't fix what I don't realize I'm doing wrong. But after you're done taking me to school if you could, throw me a suggestion to look at as well, I listen to any advice I get and I think (hell I know) making these SFF builds is going to be my expensive new hobby so I'd like to learn as I build these for friends and family (who am I kidding I'll keep all of them like the crazy cat lady hoards cats.)

The List (If you laugh, I understand):

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($190.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i chromax.black 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ax Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Storage: Sabrent Rocket Q 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB PULSE Video Card
Case: Silverstone RVZ03B-ARGB Mini ITX Desktop Case ($147.26 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 550 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($128.94 @ Amazon)

The 'i' of the cooler NH-L9i indicates it is for Intel.
For AMD, you need NH-L9a. Particularly, you need NH-L9a-AM4.

Reactions: Scytes and rfarmer

Scytes

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 12, 2020

doh - I put the wrong part in that list, let me fix it - I actually DID order the AMD version, just checked.

Scytes

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 12, 2020

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/HZ...ck-338-cfm-cpu-cooler-nh-l9a-am4-chromaxblack Here is the cooler I did pick - I was playing with a SFF intel build earlier and I fat fingered the cooler.

Scytes

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 12, 2020
Hmm - A shame I didn't find this forum sooner...Could some of you gurus tell me if you think the FormD - T1 would do well with this build? I'm still struggling with recognizing how some of these layouts should be cooled when it comes to air flow as well.

Or is the size and thermal footprint of that Sapphire GPU going to be an issue?

I'm not against ordering a case similar to this with the custom cables as well - I may not be a pro but I will listen to the pros and I will most definitely do things the right way as best I can.

I guess I should also clarify by saying my entire concern is that I could be going with a more portable case while getting the same results temp wise - I could be wrong though as I did find some damn good reviews on this cases ability to cool using positive pressure since I'll be able to force cold air in over top of the CPU and have it dispersed out across the MOBO and the components seated to it.

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
Unpopular opinion:
I know this is the sff forum, but if you do travel a lot, then my advice is to just get a laptop.
SFF pc's with all their periferials, cables and external monitors... as much as I don't like to admit it, but they are not suitable for traveling. Go get a Zephyrus G14 or similar, thin, 1.5 kg in total weight and only 14 inch, so not too small but not too big either. You can just open it up on a train station and compute away.
If you're doing LAN parties, or maybe just need to move the case between your home and your workplace (with a car), or travel everywhere camping in your RV, that's another thing, then SFF is ok I guess. However if you're flying every month for example... you might find ITX pc's a bit uncomfortable.
If you're serious about SFF though and want to go to this direction no matter what, then I would definetly go for the smallest form factor possible, like a Velka 3 or maybe an APU setup.

Reactions: maveric

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Unpopular opinion:
I know this is the sff forum, but if you do travel a lot, then my advice is to just get a laptop.
SFF pc's with all their periferials, cables and external monitors... as much as I don't like to admit it, but they are not suitable for traveling. Go get a Zephyrus G14 or similar, thin, 1.5 kg in total weight and only 14 inch, so not too small but not too big either. You can just open it up on a train station and compute away.
If you're doing LAN parties, or maybe just need to move the case between your home and your workplace (with a car), or travel everywhere camping in your RV, that's another thing, then SFF is ok I guess. However if you're flying every month for example... you might find ITX pc's a bit uncomfortable.
If you're serious about SFF though and want to go to this direction no matter what, then I would definetly go for the smallest form factor possible, like a Velka 3 or maybe an APU setup.

It's totally OK to admit that a laptop may be suitable for some scenarios. It all goes back to our own requirements.

@Scytes

Nothing particularly wrong with your setup IMO. Just make sure you check all the available options before deciding to buy, like, for example, perhaps there are other cases which can contain your prefered hardware at a smaller volume.

Neophyte

Trash Compacter
Aug 1, 2020
@Scytes, I've looked at that case. You should seriously consider a SFX or SFX-L power supply. There's not a lot of space and their "maximum" PSU length is 150mm. I suspect it'll make things easier if you go smaller.

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 8, 2018
Definitely get an SFX PSU. You are going to wish you had that extra room to route cables neatly if you don't.

Scytes

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 12, 2020
Unpopular opinion:
Any opinion even if unpopular is still an insight I may not have considered.

I currently have a laptop - big ol' beastie - but I should clarify that while I enjoy it fitting in a backpack my travel does allow for me to place the SFF PC in a case.

I also should have included that I've gotten a 17" portable display that has its own fold over cover to go with this so that the extra peripherals aren't so aggravating.

I'll basically be putting this is in a pelican like case and it'll go where I go.

Scytes

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 12, 2020
It's totally OK to admit that a laptop may be suitable for some scenarios. It all goes back to our own requirements.

@Scytes

Nothing particularly wrong with your setup IMO. Just make sure you check all the available options before deciding to buy, like, for example, perhaps there are other cases which can contain your prefered hardware at a smaller volume.
Do you have any suggestions case wise that would result in a smaller foot print but still have reliable cooling? I ended up going with this case because it was pretty well reviewed by quite a few known enthusiasts.

But had I found this forum firs I suspect I'd be ordering a formD T1 or equivalent.

Scytes

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 12, 2020
@Scytes, I've looked at that case. You should seriously consider a SFX or SFX-L power supply. There's not a lot of space and their "maximum" PSU length is 150mm. I suspect it'll make things easier if you go smaller.

First time ordering an SFX supply, do these come with the plate to adapt them for AFX mounting normally or will I need to buy one to adapt it over?

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Do you have any suggestions case wise that would result in a smaller foot print but still have reliable cooling? I ended up going with this case because it was pretty well reviewed by quite a few known enthusiasts.

Some questions then:
- How much is your case budget? (case only, and excluding tax & shipping fee)
- Are you going to stick with 65w CPUs?
- Are you going to overclock, or...
- ... do you mind to play with some BIOS settings a bit to have much better thermals at the slight cost of performance?
- Are you OK with ITX sized GPU, or you prefer to have mid to full size GPU?
- Do you prefer classic layout (no PCIe riser cable), or back-to-back layout, or console layout?
- OK to go with AC-DC brick, or prefer brickless?

Scytes

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 12, 2020
Some questions then:
- How much is your case budget? (case only, and excluding tax & shipping fee) - I don't have a limit for this - I set myself a soft budget of 2K for an overall build cost, but I can go higher if I want if it means making a truly maximized portable and high performing semi-future proof PC.
- Are you going to stick with 65w CPUs? - Most likely, but I'd like to have some headroom to go up, it isn't a priority though.
- Are you going to overclock, or... - Would like to have some OC room as well - it isn't a huge concern but being able to squeeze out all I can when it's needed would be nice.
- ... do you mind to play with some BIOS settings a bit to have much better thermals at the slight cost of performance? - If it's a very slight cost in performance I don't mind - I doubt I'd notice a slight change and I'm always down for making parts last by not melting them.
- Are you OK with ITX sized GPU, or you prefer to have mid to full size GPU? - This is a hard one for me, I need to read up on ITX GPU. If I can achieve within a reasonable margin the same performance as a full size than absolutely (Using the Sapphire Pulse 5700XT for reference)
- Do you prefer classic layout (no PCIe riser cable), or back-to-back layout, or console layout? - Main concern is it being effective, with good cooling properties. If that means different layouts in different cases I don't mind, just like the Mechanicum, I value function over aesthetics.
- OK to go with AC-DC brick, or prefer brickless? - Again, whatever is going to give me the most function and fit the best within the build.

Scytes

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 12, 2020

Neophyte

Trash Compacter
Aug 1, 2020
First time ordering an SFX supply, do these come with the plate to adapt them for AFX mounting normally or will I need to buy one to adapt it over?

I see you ordered an adapter. Some come with, some don't. The SFX-L PSU I have came with one. It's a Fractal Design Ion, for future reference.

Scytes

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 12, 2020
I see you ordered an adapter. Some come with, some don't. The SFX-L PSU I have came with one. It's a Fractal Design Ion, for future reference.

Thanks - I had actually gone with that PSU originally but swapped due to availability. Magically amazon suddenly had one in stock for immediate shipping so I snatched it up and added the adapter with it just to be safe.

maveric

Caliper Novice
Jun 5, 2020
OP, why do you need a desktop when you travel for a living? I don't understand why a laptop wouldn't satisfy your needs on the road.

Scytes

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 12, 2020
Update - I've been absolutely let down by the high hopes I had for this AMD GPU, HDMI ports die after driver updates and even DP ports are iffy after each re-boot. I can't say that I expected an AMD GPU to perform without error, but this borders on making the system un-usable and I'll probably look at swapping to a 2070 S.