Help First Small Form Factor: LOUQE Ghost S1

VoxelJar

What's an ITX?
Original poster
New User
Feb 29, 2020
Hello, this is my first small form factor build. The PC will be used for half Adobe CC products. Mainly After Effects and Illustrator. And the other half of the time I will be gaming. I want to make sure I have it all right! I think everything should fit but my confidence is not high.

Also, do you think that Ryzen is the best choice to go with right now? I have the cash to buy a 9700k but I've heard good things about Ryzen.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7f6BFG

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor ($339.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i PRO 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($138.44 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($219.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($309.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($168.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($279.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB ROG STRIX Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GM 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($96.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.99 @ B&H)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM 60.1 CFM 120 mm Fan ($29.90 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM 60.1 CFM 120 mm Fan ($29.90 @ Amazon)
Case: Ghost S1 (Ash) ($269.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Ghost S1 Tophat (Large, Ash) ($49.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $2031.17
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

kyeb

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 23, 2019
kyeburchard.com
I'm not familiar with the Ghost S1 specifically, but to answer a few parts of your questions:

Also, do you think that Ryzen is the best choice to go with right now? I have the cash to buy a 9700k but I've heard good things about Ryzen.

I think most people agree right now that Ryzen is the most cost-effective choice right now. If money is not an object, you can get usually better performance out of an Intel chip, but for me the price/performance ratio of Ryzen is a lot better.

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($219.00 @ Amazon)

I'm using this motherboard in a DAN A4 build right now, and I've had a plethora of issues with the onboard WiFi and Bluetooth. It's a standard Intel module, but even after returning it to Amazon and replacing with a new one, things don't work right. Just an anecdote, but I would go for a different mobo if I was doing it again. There are a number of Amazon reviews mentioning similar issues, including mine if you want more info on that.

eOwl

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 12, 2020
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB ROG STRIX Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Depending what will You do in After Effects you can run out of VRAM with 8GB card, but for hobby application this should be fine.
Also be mindful about the width of the card. Ghost S1 loves reference PCB graphics card, but this is wider and can cause issues with power cable. I ordered my case with small top hat to fit 1080ti FTW3 from EVGA.

Also consider to place a fan in the bottom of the case, under the PSU. It helps a lot. You will have hot air from GPU going through the radiator and heating up the CPU. I have set mine at just 800 rpm constant as exhaust and it keeps the GPU and CPU much cooler that as intake or none at all.

Good luck building.

kmnvhs

Caliper Novice
Feb 14, 2020
instagram.com
I think the 3700x would be a better option (less cost and powerconsumtion). I read a lot of test about its x570 boards and the gigabite is the badest board you can by in a arm-layout way -> price to performance way is the asus x570i the better way, because it has the same vrm layout as the impact version. Do you think you really need 64gb of ram? Maybe 32gb with 3200/3600mhz + CL16 is enough?

*I you like the more industrial look, don't use the top hat - the pure rad with fans looks sick!