Feedback on build.

RobBobbins

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 28, 2020
Hey y'all,

I currently have a Ncase M1 that I am planning on upgrading. I want to fit a C14s in the build but I'm afraid of 1. Certain Mobos not able to fit the C14s 2. Requiring special brackets from Noctua as I am located in Singapore and I am unsure if they will be able to send me the items required.

Case Ncase M1 V3

CPU + Mobo: 3600 + aorus b450i pro wifi
CPU Cooler: Noctua C14s
Ram: Corsair LPX 3200 L16 2x8GB
PSU: Corsair SF600w Plat
GPU: Reusing a reference 980ti
SSD: 1TB Adata SX 8200 pro or HP EX920

----------

On the side note, I am planning on swapping out the reference 980ti at the end of the year as its way too loud. Without changing the cooler to the Accelero. do you think it's possible to remove the shroud of the reference card and placing 2 NF-A12 under it? Or is the design of the reference cooler unsuitable to do that.

Thank you very much.

Y02WK

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 26, 2020
Hey fellow Singaporean. Had the same worry about the Noctua C14S and decided in the end to go with the Thermalright Silver Arrow 130 from Taobao. We also don’t seem to have a way to get Noctua fans for a decent price, Newegg which is the cheapest doesn’t have the 12V versions of A12, and they cost 50SGD++ to get from Amazon and TB.

Maybe check that out? Else if you really want the C14S, if you’re able to chat in Chinese I’m sure you can get something worked out with the Taobao store regarding brackets as they seem to cater to the ITX crowd. If you need help with that, PM me and I can check with them for you.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
A reference design Nvidia 980Ti is a blower card with centrifugal fan design. This type usually does not do well with deshrouding + 2 underneath fans. Not a good idea.

Regarding fitting a Noctua NH-C14S onto a Gigabyte B450I Pro Wifi, there are 2 people using such in pcpartpicker.

It is do-able. But I advise you email Noctua to confirm whether or not special mounting brackets are needed (which I do not think so). They are nice guys and would probably send a kit to you free, if needed.

Lastly, IIRC, using C14S inside a M1 might lead to physical conflict with the PSU (solvable by rotating the bracket?).
There are many owners that can give further advice.

RobBobbins

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 28, 2020
Hey fellow Singaporean. Had the same worry about the Noctua C14S and decided in the end to go with the Thermalright Silver Arrow 130 from Taobao. We also don’t seem to have a way to get Noctua fans for a decent price, Newegg which is the cheapest doesn’t have the 12V versions of A12, and they cost 50SGD++ to get from Amazon and TB.

Maybe check that out? Else if you really want the C14S, if you’re able to chat in Chinese I’m sure you can get something worked out with the Taobao store regarding brackets as they seem to cater to the ITX crowd. If you need help with that, PM me and I can check with them for you.
Thanks for the help, may I know which taobao store you are talking about?

Yea, Seems like the place to get the NF-A12 12V PWM is Amazon but it'd be around $55 SGD per fan. Not sure if I should drop the money on it.

Ohh man.. If only I saw your message earlier, I just ordered the C14S from Amazon and will be using a freight forwarder to bring it over. I THINK i might not need additional fan mounts or the add on AM4 mounting kit as I plan to move the PSU to the ATX position and this might allow me to use the included 140mm fan. If I'm not wrong, the C14S ships with the AM4 brackets now (?)

A reference design Nvidia 980Ti is a blower card with centrifugal fan design. This type usually does not do well with deshrouding + 2 underneath fans. Not a good idea.

Regarding fitting a Noctua NH-C14S onto a Gigabyte B450I Pro Wifi, there are 2 people using such in pcpartpicker.

It is do-able. But I advise you email Noctua to confirm whether or not special mounting brackets are needed (which I do not think so). They are nice guys and would probably send a kit to you free, if needed.

Lastly, IIRC, using C14S inside a M1 might lead to physical conflict with the PSU (solvable by rotating the bracket?).
There are many owners that can give further advice.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll leave the 980ti as is for now and see if my friend is willing to pass me his 1060. And I'll see if it is viable to deshroud it. I am unsure if this card is worth it to deshroud but for me Noise is very important.

After doing a little more research, it seems like the MSI b450i seems to be the best Mitx B450 board to get due to the higher quality VRM and the C14S fits.

I would also need to mount the PSU in the ATX position IF I wish to use the included 140mm fans (This needs to be confirmed) Or I can leave the PSU in the standard SFX position if I swap it to a 120mm fan.

Y02WK

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 26, 2020
I'm sure you'll be able to make it work especially if you can play around with the PSU.

Here's the link for the TB store: https://noediy.world.taobao.com

I bought Gentle Typhoons instead of NF-A12 as the price was more palatable. I did buy an NF-A9 to run as exhaust, and that was also expensive, but seemed fun to try out.

RobBobbins

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 28, 2020
I'm sure you'll be able to make it work especially if you can play around with the PSU.

Here's the link for the TB store: https://noediy.world.taobao.com

I bought Gentle Typhoons instead of NF-A12 as the price was more palatable. I did buy an NF-A9 to run as exhaust, and that was also expensive, but seemed fun to try out.

Thanks for the link.

Yea I'm planning on getting a NF-A9 as well. That is still decently priced as the NF-A9 is available on Amazon SG, so there is free shipping above $60 SGD.

Really annoying not being able to find the NF-A12 for a decent price locally

yanwei

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 2, 2020

I just received my a12 fans from noctua eBay shop. Cost 20 eur before shipping per fan. Ordered on Friday and delivered on Monday.

RobBobbins

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 28, 2020
I just received my a12 fans from noctua eBay shop. Cost 20 eur before shipping per fan. Ordered on Friday and delivered on Monday.

Just went through the Noctua Ebay shop. Saw that the NF-A12x25 PWM is 29.90 Eur? May I know where you got it for 20Eur?

yanwei

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 2, 2020
Sorry my bad. 20 eur was for the slim version. 30 eur is for the normal sized one. I just ordered another 92mm slim fan from them as well since they're the only ones with stock.