CPU Fan control?

SFF_Matt

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jul 3, 2020
Hello SFF builders,
most MIni-ITX mainboards are equipped with max 3 fan headers. But in an NCase M1 for ex, I see a lot of builts with up to 5 fans. But no one is listing the fan control, which is in use inside the build. So I´d like to ask for your selection, when it comes to an appropriate fan control regarding silent air cooling.

As I´m using Linux + W10, a limited software solution to control fans is not sufficient.

THX
Matt

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Of course, you can use a fan hub.
But, you can also use Y-splitter cable (one usually comes with a Noctua fan).
So, one Y-splitter cable for the 2 fans at case bottom. Another one for the 2 fans on side panel. 5th fan on the case rear needs none. A total of 5 fans with the usage of two Y-splitter. As the 2 fans on the side panel and the 2 fans on the case bottom usually are the same and in sync, Y-splitter works perfectly.

Reactions: SFF_Matt

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
Check out the Aquacomputer Quadro! It's programmable via a Windows tool, but operates autonomously, so long as you can base fan speeds on its own temperature sensor inputs. Once programmed, it'll work without the software. ✌

Reactions: SFF_Matt

SFF_Matt

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jul 3, 2020
hmmmm, I did this around 20 years ago and lost any control about fan speed. Is this today still possible?