Extra tiny Dell video card - 4GB 940MX and MX150

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
Just cracked open my first Dell 17-7000 series, and found this gem of a 940MX (Dell PN YDRF2) :

Pretty clearly PCIe and power, on those flex connectors. Anybody want to give it a go? They are on Ebay *very* cheap.

There also exists an MX150 version, if you want "10 series". Might be a rebadge, though - Y11G4 I think. It comes in the Dell 7773 laptop, but I can't "see" a part number - Only going on a partial match.

Last edited:

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
I'm willing to be this could be adapted to m.2 with a 12v connector....
This might be fun. I almost want to pick one up and start playing, if only I had time!

Also - P/N for MX150 might be Y11G4, not the previously mentioned one.

Canities

Chassis Packer
Apr 18, 2017
That looks potentially like an 8x PCIe connector.
48 pins on the left hand side for signaling
and the bigger points on the right for ground and 12v+ ?

Looking at PCie specifications its likely to not be 8X as that would need a total of 98 pins (typically 49 pins per side of the card). Its possible that its a 4x PCIe with shared grounds or MiniPCI express (52-pin) with the +12v power on the second tab...
Defiantly looks interesting.

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017

There is a part number for that tiny MX150 on the back of the video card - It's too bad we don't know it yet!

Also, the lack of cooling interface on that processor die bothers me.

Last thought - Anybody know how the video card passes back video output data to the Intel chip for display purposes in setups like this?

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
Any idea if that MX150 can be thrown in a current gen Dell laptop? They have some deals on their laptops with 8th gen Intel CPUs, but none of the deals have any sort of dedicated GPU, however the 7th gen ones come spec'd with either 940mx or mx150. I guess cooling it would be an issue as well.

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
Any idea if that MX150 can be thrown in a current gen Dell laptop? They have some deals on their laptops with 8th gen Intel CPUs, but none of the deals have any sort of dedicated GPU, however the 7th gen ones come spec'd with either 940mx or mx150. I guess cooling it would be an issue as well.
No, it needs one of Dell's laptops *with* the interface and heatsink built in. Slim chance at retrofit.