EK-AIO (Basic) 240 + NCASE M1 v6

birdsliveoutthere

Caliper Novice
Aug 24, 2020
Looks great! How much space do you have at the back (between rad and rear case bracket)? I was thinking of putting there the a9 92mm, but looks like a tight fit?
Looks to be about 20mm of space with the way I have the radiator positioned. It may be possible to fit a 25mm fan in there if the rad was moved towards the front.

HaveeAirs

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 13, 2020
Really interested to hear how you guys find the EK AIO 240 D-RGB. I have one in my Ncase v6.1 now, cooling a 5900X on the Asus Crosshair VIII Impact, with two Noctua NF-F12 Chromax as intake (so pulling in cold air from outside, through the rad) and a Noctua NF-A9x14 Chromax on the rear as exhaust, using thermal grizzly kryonaut, and I'm getting some crazy high temps. This is using Asus FanXpert4 for fan tuning, on the standard profile with the pump set to 100% all the time.

Idle is on average 60 degrees, spiking to 80 on light loads (4 edge tabs, onenote, discord). e.g. see attached:
I've even re-seated the block and quadruple checked the thermal paste like 4x. And the side panel temp at intake is super chilly.

Maybe there's something I need to monkey with in the BIOS to rein in the CPU a bit? And maybe I should be using Argus Monitor for fan control instead?

I do have an Asus 3090 TUF in there too, so of course there's heat rising from the back of the card when it's in use, but not at idle (note: it's been undervolted to 850mV/1850mhz so it doesn't actually even go over 65 degrees on full load on the GPU)
Hmm... this looks almost as my exact setup I want to try. Any chance a A9x25 fits in rear in there? It fits with the X53.

Xenogear74

Cable Smoosher
Feb 11, 2020
Excuse the fan cable rat's nest (having 4 cpu fans, then exhaust and trying to make it work on an ITX board is such a PITA) but I just finishing putting this AIO in the other day and working great.

I also found that intake works much better than exhaust not only for CPU temps but also for the chipset temps. I have a N9x14 for exhaust (I tried to fit my a9x25 but there just wasn't enough room) I idle around 40 and warmest it gets is on boot where it will have spikes to 66.

Barely audible, great mounting and I love that I don't have to use any proprietary software to manage. Only PITA was cutting the screws for the a12x15.

3800x, asus x570-i, 3070 FE

fongalv

Caliper Novice
Jan 4, 2021
I also found that intake works much better than exhaust not only for CPU temps but also for the chipset temps. I have a N9x14 for exhaust (I tried to fit my a9x25 but there just wasn't enough room) I idle around 40 and warmest it gets is on boot where it will have spikes to 66.
Just out of curiosity, did you mean your temps were better when the fans were set to intake air from external, through the radiator, and into the case? Did you have any other case fans exhausting air out of the case?

I'm currently in the midst of transplanting my old PC into a SFF casing and have an EK AIO waiting to be installed, and I couldn't decide which way to set up the fans, ie.

1) Positive Pressure: 2x 140mm fans drawing air from external, through radiator, into case, and 1x 140mm fan exhausting on top. I believe this is the more traditional way of planning the airflow as the coolest air is used to cool down the radiator.

2) Negative pressure: 2X 140mm fans drawing air from inside the case, blows through radiator, exhausting air outside the case, and 1x 140mm fan exhausting on top. This too feels like it could work as cool air will be drawn into the case via mesh on 3 sides and exhausting on the remaining 2 sides? Only issue I have with this configuration is that I cannot fit the fans between the rad and case panel as the AIO(vertical layout) hoses are in the way, so the fans will have to be "blowing" into the rad instead of drawing air through the rad.

I will be running some tests when I get the chance, just trying to get some idea which might have a higher chance to perform better so that I can do that option last to save me the hassle of switching back to an earlier option as I will also be testing the varders vs some old noctuas I have from my old rig.

Xenogear74

Cable Smoosher
Feb 11, 2020
Just out of curiosity, did you mean your temps were better when the fans were set to intake air from external, through the radiator, and into the case? Did you have any other case fans exhausting air out of the case?

I'm currently in the midst of transplanting my old PC into a SFF casing and have an EK AIO waiting to be installed, and I couldn't decide which way to set up the fans, ie.

1) Positive Pressure: 2x 140mm fans drawing air from external, through radiator, into case, and 1x 140mm fan exhausting on top. I believe this is the more traditional way of planning the airflow as the coolest air is used to cool down the radiator.

2) Negative pressure: 2X 140mm fans drawing air from inside the case, blows through radiator, exhausting air outside the case, and 1x 140mm fan exhausting on top. This too feels like it could work as cool air will be drawn into the case via mesh on 3 sides and exhausting on the remaining 2 sides? Only issue I have with this configuration is that I cannot fit the fans between the rad and case panel as the AIO(vertical layout) hoses are in the way, so the fans will have to be "blowing" into the rad instead of drawing air through the rad.

I will be running some tests when I get the chance, just trying to get some idea which might have a higher chance to perform better so that I can do that option last to save me the hassle of switching back to an earlier option as I will also be testing the varders vs some old noctuas I have from my old rig.
I have the 4 AIO fans as intake and i have an a9x14 as exhaust. don't currently have any intake fans on the bottom but thinking of throwing an a12x15 there. (the 25 causes turbulence which is annoying) .

My temps were better with intake by about 5 degrees, but I think there would be a lot of variables going into this. Intake also works better for me since it pushes air directly on the chipset fan.

yimingwuzere

Caliper Novice
Dec 2, 2020
Excuse the fan cable rat's nest (having 4 cpu fans, then exhaust and trying to make it work on an ITX board is such a PITA) but I just finishing putting this AIO in the other day and working great.

Barely audible, great mounting and I love that I don't have to use any proprietary software to manage. Only PITA was cutting the screws for the a12x15.

3800x, asus x570-i, 3070 FE

I managed to squeeze a NF-A9 in both the v1 and v6 with a C14S CPU cooler, there was just enough room for it. I'm assuming the radiator is pushed as much as it can towards the front of the case... how much room is there left between the NF-A9x14 and the radiator?

Trying the challenge of keeping a 5800X and a RTX 3080 cool in an equatorial climate without air conditioning, open to the idea of swapping to this cooler if it works better than the C14S.

Ravaiel

Cable Smoosher
Jan 12, 2021
Man, I can't wait to try out different fan combinations - I'm still waiting for my NCASE to arrive. I think that the intake/exhaust will also be very dependant on what you do with your GPU. Is it deshrouded?

Xenogear74

Cable Smoosher
Feb 11, 2020
I managed to squeeze a NF-A9 in both the v1 and v6 with a C14S CPU cooler, there was just enough room for it. I'm assuming the radiator is pushed as much as it can towards the front of the case... how much room is there left between the NF-A9x14 and the radiator?

Trying the challenge of keeping a 5800X and a RTX 3080 cool in an equatorial climate without air conditioning, open to the idea of swapping to this cooler if it works better than the C14S.
I was able to fix the thicker a9 with a c14s also, but with the radiator pushed forward there's almost enough room for the thick, but you really need the thin. the reason it works for the kraken is that that radiator is a bit thicker and shorter in length while the EK is just a little thinner and longer.

either way i'm using the stock thermal paste and getting good results, curious if i wasn't lazy and had wiped/used thermal grizzly :D

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
My purchase of the EK-AIO Basic 240 was delayed by very high shipping costs when purchased directly from EKWB's online store.

I've just seen it's been included on the Amazon US page here:

Currently, there's only one very overpriced 3rd party seller from what I can see, but hopefully the EKWB storefront will be selling it soon. I'm planning to get it as soon as it's available at MSRP.

stalker

What's an ITX?
New User
Dec 27, 2019
My purchase of the EK-AIO Basic 240 was delayed by very high shipping costs when purchased directly from EKWB's online store.

I've just seen it's been included on the Amazon US page here:

Currently, there's only one very overpriced 3rd party seller from what I can see, but hopefully the EKWB storefront will be selling it soon. I'm planning to get it as soon as it's available at MSRP.

Where are you located? I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago and they shipped for free.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Where are you located? I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago and they shipped for free.
I'm in South Africa, and unfortunately the only shipping option that actually gets here reliably is DHL Express, which is $49 and there may be import duties on top of that. Not worth it for a $79 AIO!

Once I can get it from Amazon, I can include it with a bigger order which greatly reduces the cost.

Reactions: stalker

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Just ordered the EK-AIO Basic 240mm from Amazon this morning with an order I was placing for some camera stuff. It only added about $15 to my shipping.

I think I have to wait a week or so for one of the other items in the order to arrive in stock, so I'm not expecting to receive it before the end of the month.

birdsliveoutthere

Caliper Novice
Aug 24, 2020
I have been using the AIO basic for a few months now and have been happy with the performance on my 3700x.

The only thing I am not liking is that the pump makes a noise similar to a traditional hard drive when accessing data. For an otherwise quiet system, the ticking noise is an earsore.

Reactions: rcodi and AlexTSG

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I have been using the AIO basic for a few months now and have been happy with the performance on my 3700x.

The only thing I am not liking is that the pump makes a noise similar to a traditional hard drive when accessing data. For an otherwise quiet system, the ticking noise is an earsore.

That's one of the things I was worried about.

Looks like I may need to wait a while to see how loud mine is. It took a while to start moving on Amazon's tracking system at all, and for the last 4 weeks the order has just arrived at, and departed various Amazon facilities. I blame the baking equipment that my girlfriend added to the order!

If it's too loud, I may go for the Noctua U9S instead, which looks like the best air cooler for my NCASE M1.

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Aug 5, 2017
That's one of the things I was worried about.

Looks like I may need to wait a while to see how loud mine is. It took a while to start moving on Amazon's tracking system at all, and for the last 4 weeks the order has just arrived at, and departed various Amazon facilities. I blame the baking equipment that my girlfriend added to the order!

If it's too loud, I may go for the Noctua U9S instead, which looks like the best air cooler for my NCASE M1.

I've tried a few AIO's in this case as well and have switched back to air (U9S) because of the pump noise. I'm glad you made this thread because I was curious about the EK basic, it's definitely good looking but based on feedback of other posters it has pump noise at optimal pump speed (100%).

If you're open to other options I've seen good things about the be quiet! pure loop 240, supposedly it's quiet and has a noise insulated block.

Reactions: AlexTSG and Joe1963

Joe1963

Efficiency Noob
Mar 11, 2021
What’s the width of the Be Quiet! Pure Loop 240’s radiator - Is it the same as the Kraken x53?
Also wonder how well the Pure Loop’s tube mounted pump would fit cable wise between the radiator and block.