Accessory Best portable wireless (Bluetooth?) mouse, keyboard, headphones, gamepad? Travel-oriented.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Hey!

I think right now it makes sense for me to get a laptop and use it as my daily driver while I'm trying to actually get my systems together. (I want to see how AM4 ITX boards pan out, and my current Frankenstein machines are being used around the house.) I want to get my hands on a portable gaming laptop by the end of the year for some travel plans I have, and the Gigabyte Aero 15 is a beast. So, I'm looking at getting a laptop and I'd also like to start scoping out peripherals to bring along with it. So, my laptop's bound to have Bluetooth and not having to worry about cable clutter (when in use) seems like a huge plus for portability and setting up on the go. My system will primarily be running Windows 10.

I'm especially looking for a mouse and a gamepad that can wirelessly connect to my computer, preferably without a dongle. I can live without macro buttons on the mouse or joysticks on the controllers, but I am used to '12-button' mouses and modern console controllers. Sacrificing some amount of creature comfort that comes with those devices for the sake of battery life or portability would probably be acceptable.

I hear "new" PS4 controllers play nicely with Windows 10, but I have a storied and troubled past with using PS4 controllers I own over bluetooth. Latency issues, battery life issues, and other weird setup problems. I've also heard about newer Xbox One controllers that run over Bluetooth. Not necessarily important to this use-case, but do either of these controllers (over Bluetooth) allow for 4+ simultaneous players? Can a Steam Controller work over bluetooth?

Having a wireless keyboard and a wireless pair of headphones would be nice, but both of these I could live with wired alternatives. I'm definitely open to suggestion!

Thanks!

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Logitech K380 and MX Anywhere for mouse and keyboard. IIRC the newest Xbox One controller has bluetooth. I use Sony MDR-1ABT headphones but I guess you should find ones that you like the sound on.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Hey!

I think right now it makes sense for me to get a laptop and use it as my daily driver while I'm trying to actually get my systems together. (I want to see how AM4 ITX boards pan out, and my current Frankenstein machines are being used around the house.) I want to get my hands on a portable gaming laptop by the end of the year for some travel plans I have, and the Gigabyte Aero 15 is a beast. So, I'm looking at getting a laptop and I'd also like to start scoping out peripherals to bring along with it. So, my laptop's bound to have Bluetooth and not having to worry about cable clutter (when in use) seems like a huge plus for portability and setting up on the go. My system will primarily be running Windows 10.

I'm especially looking for a mouse and a gamepad that can wirelessly connect to my computer, preferably without a dongle. I can live without macro buttons on the mouse or joysticks on the controllers, but I am used to '12-button' mouses and modern console controllers. Sacrificing some amount of creature comfort that comes with those devices for the sake of battery life or portability would probably be acceptable.

I hear "new" PS4 controllers play nicely with Windows 10, but I have a storied and troubled past with using PS4 controllers I own over bluetooth. Latency issues, battery life issues, and other weird setup problems. I've also heard about newer Xbox One controllers that run over Bluetooth. Not necessarily important to this use-case, but do either of these controllers (over Bluetooth) allow for 4+ simultaneous players? Can a Steam Controller work over bluetooth?

Having a wireless keyboard and a wireless pair of headphones would be nice, but both of these I could live with wired alternatives. I'm definitely open to suggestion!

Thanks!
I cannot comment on the controllers under Windows 10. The PS4 controller can connect as a HID by pressing and holding the Share and Power buttons at the same time. The XBOX ONE S controller is the one to get for its Bluetooth support. Both controllers can connect more than four controllers to one Bluetooth host provided that the device they are connecting to uses the right Bluetooth controller (I use a Broadcom BCM20702 myself). The Steam Controller cannot connect via Bluetooth. You must use the provided receiver for a reason. The Steam Controller can present itself as a keyboard, mouse, and gamepad, all at the same time which could be a mess for Bluetooth.

For the keyboard, you could get a 60% Bluetooth mechanical keyboard such as the Obins Anne Pro or the Royal Kludge RK61. For a mouse, you could get a Logitech M720, G403 Wireless, G602 (personally tried, it is good), or MX Master (personally tried, it is good).

For headphones (are in-ear earbuds/monitors included?), please let me know what music you like listening to and I can give recommendations there.

Reactions: Acalanata

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Not really gaming oriented, but I have a k400 and I absolutely love the portability it offers. The thing is lightweight and has an integrated trackpad which isn't anything special but works well enough to do stuff. It's very basic but the convenience factor is great for anyone who is putting a system together and just needs a wireless keyboard that doesn't get in the way of what you are doing and mess with your work area.

gffermari

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 7, 2017
Logitech MX Master
XBOX One Elite Controller/Lunar White - Wireless USB adapter

The problem remains and is the keyboard. I had a Logitech K360 but it was broken. It offers great portability and it can be connected via the same Unifying USB dongle that uses the MX Master but the typing sense is mediocre and the gaming performance, using for example a bunch of keys in order to play PES, is completely awful. It cannot handle more than 3 keys simultaneously. The building quality is bad but i have to mention that it's quite cheap for what it offers.

I always wanted a wireless mechanical keyboard (numeric keyboard included) that also can be connected via USB in order to be charged.
The Majestouch Convertible 2 is the only noteworthy keyboard out there but it's extremely expensive, it does not have sound control keys, it cannot be charged via usb cable and it's quite wide for an SFF user.

The Asus ROG Claymore is the other worth mentioning keyboard that i like a lot due to the detachable numeric keyboard. But it's not wireless, as well as the Logitech Pro, which misses the numeric keyboard at all.

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
For the keyboard, you could get a 60% Bluetooth mechanical keyboard such as the Obins Anne Pro or the Royal Kludge RK61. For a mouse, you could get a Logitech M720, G403 Wireless, G602 (personally tried, it is good), or MX Master (personally tried, it is good).

Thanks for bringing my attention to the Obins Anne Pro. It looks super interesting! Very well priced too.

They seem to have an active community on Reddit and a few days ago they said there's an ISO version coming out soon. I'll probably insta-buy it when it drops :)

Only potential downside is that it doesn't use an established open source firmware. And their own one seems to be a bit immature.

Reactions: Soul_Est

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
I love the microsoft universal foldable keyboard. Works with everything. Has a short learning curve but I wrote an entire speech on it for my iPad.

I like it because you charge it with micro usb, and it connects/disconnects when you unfold/fold it. and switching between devices/OS is super easy.

Super reliable.

I bought it for 60% off its original msrp of 100 GBP.

I am also tempted of buying the new Microsoft Surface Laptop ARC mouse. If it is just as realiable it will be super slick.

Last edited:

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Thanks, everyone, for the feedback so far!

For headphones (are in-ear earbuds/monitors included?), please let me know what music you like listening to and I can give recommendations there.

Earbuds/monitors are fine. And uhh, I honestly hadn't given that consideration. Is there any sort of 'universal' or entry level solution? Mostly, I'd probably be playing games or watching youtube videos with people talking or catching up on esports.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017

Earbuds/monitors are fine. And uhh, I honestly hadn't given that consideration. Is there any sort of 'universal' or entry level solution? Mostly, I'd probably be playing games or watching youtube videos with people talking or catching up on esports.
I think Linus reviewed a modular headphone solution awhile back. Could be a good start for you.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016

Just as you are unique, there is no universal option. For Bluetooth headphones, you cannot get much better than the Sony MDR-1000X (according to a reviews). Of course, Sony have an assortment ranging in price. There is of course, a lot more out there. Even more when you factor in, excellent, though obscure ones from China. For in-ear monitors, the Shure SE215 were great for their fit, isolation, and bass (I owned a pair for a time). There are of course many others.

It's all here and what a mess it is.

Last edited:

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
@zovc, I think I've seen one commercial system where they included the wireless dongle for XB (don't remember if it was XB1 or XB360) controllers inside the case - probably attached directly to a internal USB header. If you have a case with enough openings, including your dongle inside the case might be a decent hack, once you've paired the controllers and the dongle.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
@zovc, I think I've seen one commercial system where they included the wireless dongle for XB (don't remember if it was XB1 or XB360) controllers inside the case - probably attached directly to a internal USB header. If you have a case with enough openings, including your dongle inside the case might be a decent hack, once you've paired the controllers and the dongle.
Microsoft had announced licensing Xbox Wireless to third parties such as Lenovo.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Just as you are unique, there is no universal option. For Bluetooth headphones, you cannot get much better than the Sony MDR-1000X (according to a reviews). Of course, Sony have an assortment ranging in price. There is of course, a lot more out there. Even more when you factor in, excellent, though obscure ones from China. For in-ear monitors, the Shure SE215 were great for their fit, isolation, and bass (I owned a pair for a time). There are of course many others.

Thanks for these suggestions. Shure's in-ear headphones like the SE215 look really nice and having noise cancellation without "wearing headphones in public" sounds pretty neat. Does Shure offer them in a bluetooth model? I tried searching and found people "hacking" them by using bluetooth dongles, but that means I still have to fight with wires and I'm trying to avoid that as much as I can.

@jtd871, my use-case is a laptop at the moment so unfortunately using internal USB headers is (probably?) off limits, especially for something as bulky as Microsoft's wireless controller receivers. There was a point where I was considering taking my Xbox One receiver apart and putting it inside a case, but you need to have the electrical know-how to access the "Sync" function (and ideally also have a status LED) from the outside. I probably could have made it work (and a really helpful person on reddit offered to guide me), but it would have been a lot of learning and tools that I didn't have the resources for at the time.

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
Mechanical keyboards are nice but tend to take up a lot more space. if you're looking for something slim I'd recommend the Logitech K810. It's a slim, bluetooth (can connect to three different devices), backlit keyboard that resembles typing on something along the lines of a Macbook Air. A bit on the expensive side but it's nice and you can find carrying cases for it.

For the mouse, I use the MX Master for productivity at work and love it but if you're looking for a dedicated wireless gaming mouse then you're probably better off with a usb dongle rather than bluetooth. Logitech G900, G602 and G403 are all great wireless gaming mice.

Not sure if you're looking for a portable external DAC/AMP for your headphones but the AudioQuest Dragonfly series is worth checking out.

Oh and everyone else had already mentioned it but an Xbox One S controller works via bluetooh when paired with a PC on Windows 10 Anniversary Edition or later. A firmware update to the controller via the Xbox Accessories app downloaded from the Windows Store may be necessary to get it to work.

Last edited:

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Thanks for these suggestions. Shure's in-ear headphones like the SE215 look really nice and having noise cancellation without "wearing headphones in public" sounds pretty neat. Does Shure offer them in a bluetooth model? I tried searching and found people "hacking" them by using bluetooth dongles, but that means I still have to fight with wires and I'm trying to avoid that as much as I can.
As newer Shure IEMs have detachable cables connected via MMCX: http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=MMCX+Connector+Bluetooth&_sop=15

Reactions: zovc and Biowarejak

lhl

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2015
I've been using the Logitech G900 mouse for the past year while traveling - it's pretty good, but for more general productivity work (and not requiring a dongle) I think I would recommend the MX Master since it supports BLE and can track on glass.

For keyboards, I'm a bit sad the Ducky Air never came out. The Anne Pro seems like a decent option but if you're not super price sensitive, I'd consider giving the Filco Majestouch MINILA Air 67 a look. (it's like $110 in JP, but about $160 in the US) - the biggest bonus IMO is the nav cluster (arrow keys!) - I use a wired Pure Pro right now and have been tempted to switch, but I'll be getting my Model 01 finally soon (which I will be converting to BT w/ some Bluefruits or similar).

I'd second a recommendation for the MDR-1000X since it's wireless and has excellent NC as well (although personally, I'm a bit of an audiophile and settled in with my preferred wired IEMs).

Not exactly wireless, but portability related - but I was carrying around a Roost Laptop Stand until I left it on a plane, which was pretty good, although the way the legs fold back, it didn't actually work the best for economy seat trays. I replaced it with this Allsop stand, which while a little heavier, actually works better (and also works with tablets) and is easier to carry around - the only caveat I have is that you should have a wrap or something since it has the bottom stops that stick out (if I pass by a workshop I feel like I could mod the holder to be at least much more compact, if not hinged, and drill out/remove much of the materail). I'll actually be ordering this Nextation stand next though, it might do everything I want w/ much less shop work.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Piyaw! I've been living like a caveman for a little while because moving was hectic and more expensive than I anticipated. I managed to stay on my feet but keeping on track with my savings goals left me with very little spending money. (and occasionally eating money, haha.)

But, I've been working like a maniac and got a bonus that was more than twice the size I was expecting... So I think I'm about ready to invest in this travel kit.

In terms of value, I think I've settled on getting a refurbished Skylake MSI GS63VR I found for about $1000, which seems like a pretty good deal. It's the -001 model which I think comes with a crappy display, but I can upgrade that down the line if it bothers me. After that and putting some money to get ahead on savings and restore my pre-move breathing room, I have a bit of budget left for investing in headphones and maybe even a nice keyboard and mouse and controller.

Here are my new priorities on the peripherals:

** Bluetooth is heavily preferred, I want to avoid dongles and cables. That said, I don't want to have to deal with frustrating input lag (over ~30ms?) if I can avoid it.

• For 'headphones', I'd really like an in-ear solution. It's a much smaller footprint for travel and I also honestly prefer the aesthetic if I'm going to use them in public. Noise cancelling is a desirable, if it works well. Being able to charge the device conveniently (phone charger) is also a big plus.
  • For controllers, I like PS4 controllers in principle, the touchpad being used as a mouse in DS4Windows is an outstandingly convenient feature. That said, I've still not been able to get a PS4 controller working well on ANY machine I've tried. I'm beginning to think it might be that my controller is old (bad firmware or something?), but I have two now and they both act up. Terrible battery life, terrible latency. Are there any other Bluetooth controllers that have a similar setup?
  • For the mouse, I'm considering getting another Razer Naga Epic. I had one a long time ago and loved it. Eventually the left mouse button stopped working (which is apparently common and there are fixes) and I didn't bother dealing with a RMA or anything like that. It had great battery life, a convenient charger, and having tried the Roccat Nyth, I much prefer the look and feel of the Naga Epic. I can't pick the Roccat Nyth up without accidentally pressing the thumb buttons where as the Naga I could and that counts for a lot to me. If there were a Bluetooth-run "12-button" mouse I'd give it consideration, but I utilize all 12 thumb buttons when playing League and don't really want to give that up. (QWER;D123;F456, so my skills, summoner spell 1 and items 1-3, summoneer spell 2, items 4-5, and my trinket.)
  • For the keyboard, I'm starting to wonder if something like the Razer Tartarus or a similar keypad would be easier to travel with. In most use-cases I'd just use the keyboard on the laptop (and apparently the GS63VR is pretty good in that regard), and I don't generally need a full keyboard for gaming. I don't know much about these sorts of devices, though?
  • I hadn't considered getting a laptop stand before, but something strange started happening with this current laptop and its thermals and I'm wondering if it got choked for air and something got too hot... Definitely a more portable stand would be most preferred.
  • Regarding chargers, has anyone dealt with aftermarket chargers and had a 'great' experience? I've ordered cheap ones on Amazon and not had any problems, but this is before I was trying to give consideration to things like size and portability. The GS63VR has a pretty portable brick for how powerful it is (~165W?), but I'd be more than happy to get a smaller one if I could. If I could run the machine off of something like a Dart when I'm only using the CPU that would be cool, too.

Michael

Average Stuffer
Jan 3, 2016
So for bluetooth mouse and keyboard the combo I went with is:
  1. Logitech G602 - great battery life, great sensor, 2ms response.
  2. Filco Convertible 2 Tenkeyless - great battery life, pairs super easy, and switches between 4 devices.

Reactions: zovc and Biowarejak

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
I don't like razer naga anymore. It's become too big and the grip slips on the pinky side. I switched for a roccat Kova that has the extra left and right click buttons and it's been great. If it was a bit heavier it would be perfect, but I guess it's weight and small size is a plus for transportation.

Reactions: Biowarejak