Enclosure Duh? Am I missing the case/chassis speaker in my Sliverstone SG13?

Kaiso

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 20, 2017
I got a SG13 case for my build. However, I cant find the speaker for POST beeps. Isn't this included with all cases? If not, any suggestions on what I should get? I'm hoping to build in two days.

Kaiso

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 20, 2017
Thanks for the link. I just thought, could the speaker beeper be on my motherboard? (ROG STRIX B350-I) It has this component (See pic) on the board but no mention of it in the manual. There is discussion of POST beep codes though.

blubblob

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 26, 2016
That's the bios battery :D
The speaker has to be connected to the proper pins to hear the POST beep codes the motherboard generates. Some motherboards have little displays displaying the code too.

Kaiso

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 20, 2017
That's the bios battery :D
The speaker has to be connected to the proper pins to hear the POST beep codes the motherboard generates. Some motherboards have little displays displaying the code too.
Thanks. Looked closer at the manual and saw the header labeled CMOS battery. Also found a small reference to the LEDs for post errors you mention. They're tucked away in a corner of the board.

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
I have a few spare mobo speakers if you need one, message me and i'm happy to mail it to you (although depending on where you are, posting might be more expensive than just buying one locally).

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
This mobo speaker is so cheap and I wonder why a case or motherboard manufacturer nowadays does not bundle it for free.
It is selling about US one dollar for 10 pieces here locally.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
I think the main reason is because many finds POST beep annoying, only needed during first build, thus making them fell out of trend and replaced by more subtle, non invasive status led.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I once had a small piezo embedded on the motherboard.

To be honest, last I used the post speaker was to prank a friend. I installed an interrupt on mouse register (DOS only) and it played a "beep" for every single mouse event (movement or buttons). The more events occured, the more beeps where played (sounded like a geiger sensor) XD

Reactions: jØrd and MultiDoc