Production Dr Zaber Sentry - Console-sized gaming PC case project

LeandroB

Average Stuffer
Jun 2, 2017
Maybe it is just a temporary blockade? We sent a newsletter to several thousands people and now our server is a little bit DDOS-ed :) maybe wait a couple of minutes and try again?

Yeah, it was temporary, its alright now, but took over a day for than liberate it. Well... I guess i will have to wait another oportunity. x)

Pedro

Trash Compacter
Dec 12, 2017
Did that Sentry pre-order really close in <24 hours?

I am still in the process of planning my next SFF build and the Sentry was definitely on the short list of possible cases. i just want to know if this is the norm and I am required to watch the Zaber page like a 15 year old girl waiting to buy Justin Bieber tickets?

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
Did that Sentry pre-order really close in <24 hours?
Yeah, it really did.

I just want to know if this is the norm and I am required to watch the Zaber page like a 15 year old girl waiting to buy Justin Bieber tickets?

We are not there yet with establishing what the norm is, to be honest. If you read the newsletter, the purpose here is to test out few things and for that we wanted to do a bare minimum quantity for a batch, so that's where the limit comes from.

At least it is not our goal to make you guys line up and DDOS our website as we launch the sale.

ZeroPucks

Caliper Novice
Nov 28, 2017
Anyone have experience using taller RAM modules with the hard drive bracket? I'm considering switching my Corsair Vengeance LPX to something with better Ryzen compatibility, but still need the bracket to mount an SSD. I was able to find one user with the G.Skill Flare X modules in their Sentry build, and that's about 40mm: https://hardforum.com/threads/sentr...case-project.1832126/page-126#post-1043195386

Looks like the TridentZ line is out of the question at 46 mm.

Last edited:

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
What am I supposed to do with the grounding wire coming out of the power connector?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm an ape. I got it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZombiPL

doomsdaydexter

Chassis Packer
Aug 27, 2017
Gk
Anyone have experience using taller RAM modules with the hard drive bracket? I'm considering switching my Corsair Vengeance LPX to something with better Ryzen compatibility, but still need the bracket to mount an SSD. I was able to find one user with the G.Skill Flare X modules in their Sentry build, and that's

Looks like the TridentZ line is out of the question at 46 mm.[/QUO
Anyone have experience using taller RAM modules with the hard drive bracket? I'm considering switching my Corsair Vengeance LPX to something with better Ryzen compatibility, but still need the bracket to mount an SSD. I was able to find one user with the G.Skill Flare X modules in their Sentry build, and that's about 40mm:

Looks like the TridentZ line is out of the question at 46 mm.
Yes they don't fit. Since I bought a 3200 kit for $165 they stayed in and i made do with 2 X NVME.

ZeroPucks

Caliper Novice
Nov 28, 2017
Thank you for confirming. I tried the Team Dark Pro 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4, which appeared to be Samsung B-Die according to what I'd read and Thiaphoon. Even though it was 45 mm at its tallest point, the design of the module means it doesn't conflict with the HDD bracket in the Sentry. And if it didn't fit, I had the option to unscrew the top plastic piece of the heat spreader, which appears to be cosmetic only; the aluminum part is untouched if that plastic is removed and it shortens the module by a good amount.

Unfortunately that RAM didn't work with my Ryzen build so I switched it out for G.Skill Flare X 3200 MHz CL14. Even though it is about 40 mm tall, the heat spreader design means the HDD bracket does press on top of the RAM modules. It isn't too tight of a fit, so I'm going ahead with the Flare X. It's very pricey, but the overclock was easy and I appreciate the included temperature sensors.

Pictures of both modules in the Sentry:

Atremo

Caliper Novice
Mar 3, 2018
Will there be an order opportunity soon? Missed previous one (order mistake) my fault :(
But I have the dusfilters allready! :)

Last edited:

LaughingCheeze

Caliper Novice
Mar 18, 2017
I'm curious if this is still planned to come to production? I.e. not just an Indiegogo endeavor.

Also I was wondering if its possible to buy accessories? I'd like to get a CPU side panel without buying a whole other case. I have an idea for a mod....

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
I'm curious if this is still planned to come to production? I.e. not just an Indiegogo endeavor.

Also I was wondering if its possible to buy accessories? I'd like to get a CPU side panel without buying a whole other case. I have an idea for a mod....

We are slowly preparing for further availability, slowly being the key word here. Note that Sentry is not the main line of work in our company, and we are not outsourcing the full production to a chassis manufacturer like Lian Li. It's a bit more complicated than simply ordering more units since we want to improve our production process.

We are not planning to sell part separately because that would mean multiple types of packaging, additional sale items etc, and we don't have time for this at this point.

If you want to mod the case cover I would recommend grabbing some CAD and simply drawing out what you want to make from scratch and ordering it from some local laser cutting and metal bending shop. By modding finished coated case cover you will destroy the powder coating and also with laser cutting you'll have more precision for it to look good than with your workshop tools.

LaughingCheeze

Caliper Novice
Mar 18, 2017
We are slowly preparing for further availability, slowly being the key word here. Note that Sentry is not the main line of work in our company, and we are not outsourcing the full production to a chassis manufacturer like Lian Li. It's a bit more complicated than simply ordering more units since we want to improve our production process.

We are not planning to sell part separately because that would mean multiple types of packaging, additional sale items etc, and we don't have time for this at this point.

If you want to mod the case cover I would recommend grabbing some CAD and simply drawing out what you want to make from scratch and ordering it from some local laser cutting and metal bending shop. By modding finished coated case cover you will destroy the powder coating and also with laser cutting you'll have more precision for it to look good than with your workshop tools.

Awesome, thanks for the clarification!

Reactions: SaperPL