Discussion Do I need Thunderbolt to have the ability to do Video and Power to a portable monitor with just one cable?

Quaddragon

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Nov 11, 2020
Part of my SFF build will include a portable Monitor. Probably one of the G-Story 17" monitors. Do I need thunderbolt to power the display with Video and Power over one USB-C cable or will any USB-C port on an X-570 board work?

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
So most of the video over USB-C stuff doesn't work all that great for desktop components. It seems laptops have the ability to do it easily these days, but you have to mess with wonky drivers to get video over USB-C on desktop stuff.

I decided not to mess with it and just got a portable monitor with HDMI. It's trivial to plug in USB for power and HDMI for video, just keep the two cables zip tied together.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
So most of the video over USB-C stuff doesn't work all that great for desktop components. It seems laptops have the ability to do it easily these days, but you have to mess with wonky drivers to get video over USB-C on desktop stuff.

I decided not to mess with it and just got a portable monitor with HDMI. It's trivial to plug in USB for power and HDMI for video, just keep the two cables zip tied together.

USB-C outputs on GPU's will do this great.

dmitrybask

Caliper Novice
Nov 4, 2020
USB-C is just a format. It should have a "Display Port over USB-C" feature to be able to pass video signal to a monitor. If this is a mobo output with APU - check motherboard specification. If this is a GPU USB-C output - it has it for sure.

kiaskus

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 24, 2020
I'm hoping the USB-C on reference rx 6000 models output enough power for a 144hz 1080p monitora