Power Supply Did anyone used these SATA to 8pin adapters before?

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jul 23, 2020

I'm thinking about a build featuring the 4060 Low Profile graphics card and might consider the FSP Flexguru 300w modular psu for it. It does not have an 8pin pcie cable, so I was wondering if it would be safe to use something like what's seen above. Or perhaps this if two SATA might be better:

Did anyone used something like this? Also the 300w Flexguru flex atx psu?
All info is welcome:)

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jul 23, 2020

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
SATA power is specced to 4.5 A per wire so at 12V it's only about 54W per SATA connector. 110W with 2 SATA connectors just barely hits that target but make sure you're not going to regularly exceed it. It might even trip the PSU's OCP if it would go above it. That aside, be sure to check the PSU's rate limit for the SATA power.

Reactions: rfarmer

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jul 23, 2020
SATA power is specced to 4.5 A per wire so at 12V it's only about 54W per SATA connector.
Wow, this is exactly the kinda info I was after. No idea how some of these knowledge finds the people here, but thanks.
So I guess if I issue a power limit to the gpu at 108w, it should be fine with the second adapter featuring dual SATA ports. I have an Enhance 766b but I would save that if possible, espeically with a 12400T I plan on using together with the 4060 LP. So a 600w psu woulld be suboptimal here. While a nice modular 300w seems just ideal. Problem is, the Flexguru psu has no other pcie aside from the cpu and 24pin.

Btw I got the idea about the adapters from THIS amazing piece of video.

Reactions: Phuncz

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
As you're using a 35W 'T' CPU could you adapt the 8 pin EPS to PCIe for the 4060 and SATA to EPS as it's lower wattage?
I know the bulk of multiple adaptor cables may be a problem in a small case.

BTW Dawid is great and really entertaining!

Reactions: Phuncz

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jul 23, 2020
As you're using a 35W 'T' CPU could you adapt the 8 pin EPS to PCIe for the 4060 and SATA to EPS as it's lower wattage?
I guess I could use the adapter for the cpu too... Then again, the case actually have space for 65mm tall coolers too, so I might end up swithching it later for something more powerful.
I guess the best choice would be the HDPlex 250w GaN passive here, but I'm not sure if that can be properly mounted for a case designed for flex-atx psu's. Case I have in mind is the A24-v5.

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jul 23, 2020
The adapter I linked splits the cpu 8pin into a cpu 8pin + a pcie 8pin.
Oh yes, you're right. This seems great as it involves less cables! Is it safe to power both the cpu and a gpu with this splitter? I know mine are both pretty low on consumption. Unfortunately it is sold out... I cannot find it anywhere not even globally. All I find is cpu to 2x 6+2 pcie.

Last edited:

vinnyoflegend

Trash Compacter
Mar 18, 2022
Oh yes, you're right. This seems great as it involves less cables! Is it safe to power both the cpu and a gpu with this splitter? I know mine are both pretty low on consumption. Unfortunately it is sold out... I cannot find it anywhere not even globally. All I find is cpu to 2x 6+2 pcie.
Can you find CPU to 2x CPU and a CPU to PCIE? combining the two should result in the same cable just with a little extra length on the PCIE side

Safe is relative. Can the PSU can handle it? (based on its 12v and max outputs) and make sure none of your wires or adapters are too thin (some flexible/sleeved extensions or ones involving sata power tend to use the higher gauge thin wire).

I've been able to power a 65w cpu + 180w GTX 970 off a 350w delta flexatx PSU off a similar idea (providing the motherboard with just 4-pin CPU, and using the 12v wires from the other half (plus another scavenged 12v wire on the PSU) to form a 6p (3x12v, 3x ground) PCIE that I split into 2x 6p PCIE.

Last edited:

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jul 23, 2020
Can you find CPU to 2x CPU and a CPU to PCIE? combining the two should result in the same cable just with a little extra length on the PCIE side

Safe is relative. Can the PSU can handle it? (based on its 12v and max outputs) and make sure none of your wires or adapters are too thin (some flexible/sleeved extensions or ones involving sata power tend to use the higher gauge thin wire).

I've been able to power a 65w cpu + 180w GTX 970 off a 350w delta flexatx PSU off a similar idea (providing the motherboard with just 4-pin CPU, and using the 12v wires from the other half (plus another scavenged 12v wire on the PSU) to form a 6p (3x12v, 3x ground) PCIE that I split into 2x 6p PCIE.
Actually I noticed that the website you linked states that "50pcs in stock" and "sold out" immediately below.
However, it somehow allows one to click on BUY for 1 second before turning into SOLD OUT. So I clicked, ordered for a total of 9 pounds and now it's "49 pcs in stock":)
I hope they will be able to ship it...