Stalled H2O-Micro (sub 3 Liter Custom Watercooled Gaming Rig)

rawr

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 1, 2015
Yeah, that Meanwell product offers little advantage over the much more easily obtainable Dell DA-2 brick. Josh @NFC says that he knows of a good, more powerful brick, but hasn't really given much more information than that.

QinX

Master of Cramming
Original poster
kees
Mar 2, 2015
I've looked at the meanwell offerings already, but for the performance it's not that great, the adapter weighs a hefty 1.25kg.
also as mentioned starting at 24V it can deliver 280W, sounds like a bad design in my opinion.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015

QinX

Master of Cramming
Original poster
kees
Mar 2, 2015
It's a really neat concept, but high power VHF = not going to be easy to pass RF emissions standards. There is also a little footnote on one of their pages:
The DART itself is a 5V AC to DC adapter ment for charging tablets and phones, the surface tablet needs 12V which the DART can't supply.
However the FINsix VHF platform can be used for anything going from 20W to 1kW.

DART = product based on FINSIX VHF platform

RF emmisions are going to be the challenge, but that shouldn't be insurmountable, it all depends on the implementation. Using a regular plastic housing might not work but a metal housing should shield a lot better.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Even with a Faraday cage wrapped around it, the output leads (and input leads/prongs) are going to be sources of RF leakage. Slapping on some ferrite chokes outside the chassis would probably work, if a bit ugly.

QinX

Master of Cramming
Original poster
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Hi everyone,

Sorry about the lack of updates, I've been busy with the new design and getting my BOM and pricing complete.
I'm close to final but you will have the bear with me for a little longer ;)

For now all I can show you is a small teaser of the new design.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Oh my, what an awesome teaser ! I like the orange/red strip, is it going to give some subdued lighting effects from the power button ?

QinX

Master of Cramming
Original poster
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Oh wow, that's going to look amazing. You won't be able to claim first computer case milled from billet aluminum but yours will look much better: http://www.xynos.com/xynos-g3-red.php

How much more expensive is the machined chassis over the previous sheet metal design?

What is that thing? Oo

Right now the CNC milled part is a big chuck of the total BOM but we are looking at different suppliers, not every CNC machine is created equally so we are looking for the best match.

Oh my, what an awesome teaser ! I like the orange/red strip, is it going to give some subdued lighting effects from the power button ?

Cool idea, I'll take a look at it with the next prototype to see how easy it would be to add 1x or 2x 3mm LEDs for power indication and if it is possible how it would look. There is extremely limited space near the front of the case. The power button will be at the back, though very easily distinguishable by touch. There will be no Power LED.