Stalled H2O-Micro (sub 3 Liter Custom Watercooled Gaming Rig)

QinX

Master of Cramming
Original poster
kees
Mar 2, 2015
What you mean is that your setup is too specific?
What about using more common part like apogee drive or predator, even if it's little bit bigger

The thing is that it won't just be a little bit bigger it will be a lot bigger. The minimum size would be a little over the size of @iFreilicht Brevis case, just imagine a 1U Waterblock with a regular EKWB waterblock on the GPU and replace the PSU with a Radiator in there.
You'd still need space for a reservoir and pump, or going AIO style without a reservoir and use an Asetek type CPU cooler+pump combo and a HDPlex board would need to go somewhere.

Even if your case/block is limited to a very specific set of hardware, so is the Zotac, and they apparently think they can sell enough units even at that high price to justify R&D and marketing.

Broad hardware compatibility comes at the expense of size, so it's a tradeoff.

You are right, but in order to get that all worked out properly I'd need to invest another 1000+ dollar for a new prototype that has all the changes and right now I don't have the option to make that commitment.

This small talk really makes me itch to do it though :)

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
You are right, but in order to get that all worked out properly I'd need to invest another 1000+ dollar for a new prototype that has all the changes and right now I don't have the option to make that commitment.

If it's just a matter of money then maybe an Indiegogo campaign or something? I'd gladly chip in some money. Plus it would give you a better idea of how many people are seriously interested in buying it.

Or maybe a partnership with somebody like AquaComputer? Manufacturers love exclusive products that none of their competitors have.

Reactions: Phuncz

QinX

Master of Cramming
Original poster
kees
Mar 2, 2015
I might do that at some point, I would have start preparing everything and right now I'm working on other things with a partner of mine.

And regard a company like AquaComputer I've actually got good contact with them, but for H2O-Micro and well before that with my previous job. They deliver outstanding quality, but they are a business and as such they charge hourly rates and setup costs. They didn't seem interested in the project even when I asked them in person.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Have you considered a company such as protolabs?

http://www.protolabs.co.uk/

We use them at my workplace for getting prototype injection mould tooling and prototype machined parts.

You upload your CAD file and within 1 working day they email you a link to your interactive quote where you can play around with materials and quantities. The quote also includes a 3D model you can view showing any issues with your model for the given process you have chosen.

Obviously they can't compete with volume manufacture prices, but they are cheap for low volume runs.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The thing is that it won't just be a little bit bigger it will be a lot bigger. The minimum size would be a little over the size of @iFreilicht Brevis case, just imagine a 1U Waterblock with a regular EKWB waterblock on the GPU and replace the PSU with a Radiator in there.
You'd still need space for a reservoir and pump, or going AIO style without a reservoir and use an Asetek type CPU cooler+pump combo and a HDPlex board would need to go somewhere.

I can tell why you opted for a custom 2x80mm radiator in this case, because it is barely longer than an ITX board, but at the expense of going larger maybe you can still use a 2x92mm radiator that's off the shelf and still be in the ~4L territory.

Also EK now sells the Annihilator waterblock which is designed for low profile cases such as 1U server cases. It should be possible now to mount a video card flush with a thin Mini ITX board and use this block to route tubes to run directly between the video card and the CPU.

QinX

Master of Cramming
Original poster
kees
Mar 2, 2015
I can tell why you opted for a custom 2x80mm radiator in this case, because it is barely longer than an ITX board, but at the expense of going larger maybe you can still use a 2x92mm radiator that's off the shelf and still be in the ~4L territory.

Also EK now sells the Annihilator waterblock which is designed for low profile cases such as 1U server cases. It should be possible now to mount a video card flush with a thin Mini ITX board and use this block to route tubes to run directly between the video card and the CPU.

The radiator would still have to be a custom job as the height of the radiator is still unchanged and nobody sells one that thickness. From the top of my head is was 25mm thick.

The EK Annihilator is a cool block but Thin ITX boards are actually 0.5U in height so that would not be an option. The design with the 92mm radiator was I think 3.3 Liters

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Oh right, guess there aren't smaller radiators that are also slim enough to keep the small width of the case. The slimmest one I've seen is 45mm. Maybe if someone were to make a tiny tower case 60mm wide with slim PWM fans that would work.

Would be cool if EK can sponsor a super tiny rig :D