Prebuilt Deskmini A300 wifi replacement/upgrade

W4RR10R

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
While working on my R5 2600 + Vega 56 Gamecube, I broke the main antenna connector on the wifi card included with the Deskmini.

In looking for a replacement I've found this Intel 9260NGW (amazon), the listing says it only works with windows 10 and intel processors, I'd like to use this card as its an upgrade with Bluetooth 5.0 and higher overall bandwidth.

My question is, does it really only work with intel processors? Its a PCie device with a windows 10 driver, I dont see why it wouldn't work with an AMD system. Has anyone used this card or anyother variant of it with an AMD cpu? I really don't want to buy somthing that doesn't work with my system ... again.

BonfireOfDreams

Average Stuffer
Mar 14, 2019
I would err on the side of caution if that's what you're reading on the product (I can't access the link & can't find any documentation that indicates as such), but from what I was able to read it seems like certain features are gatewayed for intel processors (intel vPro, Intel Active Management). Aside from that, I think it should work just fine with an AMD system.

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
If it supports cnvi then some of the wireless is integrated in the Intel CPU, 94xx or 95xx cards are incompatible for sure. I think the 9260 is OK, pretty sure I've read it being used on b450 boards.

peak_mu

Caliper Novice
Mar 3, 2019
I can confirm it works great in the Deskmini. I am using it with a 2400g. Both windows and linux picked it up without any issues.

Forum doesn't seem to be allowing me to post the direct amazon link. Here is the exact title for the product:

Intel Wireless-Ac 9260, 2230, 2X2 Ac+Bt, Gigabit, No Vpro

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
The best is AX200
Yeah, considering that these cards are so cheap to begin with, I see no reason not to go with the top end alternative. AX200 non-CNVi is the best WiFi card out there currently, bar none, and should work on any platform (like all PCIe devices should). Plenty of the new X570 motherboards use this.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Which is a non-CNVi AX200?
I kind of doubt there are CNVi cards out there for sale, simply due to their (very) limited compatibility. Still, just read the product description thoroughly, and if you're in doubt, ask the seller if the card will work on your specific platform. Worst case scenario they give you wrong information and have to refund you.