Define Nano S + Ryzen 7 AIO straight build

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
I have finally ditched the Cougar QBX due to dust, sound and thermal issue. I will miss the case as for me it's very smartly packaged, only wishing all of my issue can be addressed someday.

Anyway, I bought Fractal Design Define Nano S, a case which a year ago was missing from the market due to government clamp down on unregistered import agents.

Basically the Nano S addressed all of my issue with the QBX with the cons of growing in size exponentially.

Here's my component list:
  • Ryzen 7 1700X
  • Asrock AB350 ITX Gaming
  • GeForce 1080Ti FE
  • Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2132 LPX RGB
  • Corsair RM650x
  • Coolermaster 120 Lite
  • Corsair LL120 + Link
  • Noctua NF-A14
  • 1x Corsair Force MP500 256GB
  • 1x Toshiba HDD 7200 RPM 2TB
  • 2x Samsung SSD 480GB
I've been using several case brands in the past, from craptastic generic case to Cooler Master, Corsair, Silverstone, Phanteks, and Cougar. Only the Nano S that wows me. Everything just lines up and there's always function to every crease and protrusion. I'm totally gushing with the case.

So my requirement is a case that provides dust filtering, sound dampening and good thermal performance and this case except for thermal is amazing.

Great dust filtering and sound dampening

Just geat. The main dust filter has this low angle inlet. Is it functional? It's not going to have any directional for the fans since the exhaust dictates more than the intake. My only thought about this angled inlet is to deflect bigger size particulates. The front cover has great distance so the fan breathes freely, with that moduvent cover, the fans doesn't choke and the fan noise is dampened effectively.

For sound dampening, I recorded 31 dB of noise with a simple dB meter app on my phone. With the same measurement on my Cougar QBX, it's a drop from 35 dB. I noticed more of the vibration (HDD?) rather than fan noise. To manage sound level furthermore, I basically turn down the fan curve of the bottom intake and rear intake to 10% (the fans spins at 600 ish RPM) which is dead silent.

Great thermal but not optimized for rear mounted M.2 SSD

I'm slightly letdown by the overall thermal performance of the case. The case has the usual main chamber and cable/storage chamber at the back. The main chamber is standard tower chamber, means abundant of space for airflow and support for whatever heatsink fan and water cooling both AIO and custom solution. The rear is a bit disappointing but I don't see anyway out of this. Most cases has large rear cutout for custom cooling plate mount or now, M.2 SSD mounting point. This case covers the AB350 Gaming M.2 mount, trapping heat from the hot NVME M.2 SSD. I use 2 layers of thermal pad to transfer heat to the case directly, which works okay on idle but on load, the M.2 reached 80 degrees C easily.

Cable management is quite easy and love the case support for full size PSU. I have to crisscross the 24 pin cable since the cable neck on my RM650x is very thick. Custom sleeved cable will help on that, but what can't custom sleeved cable help? I bet it can help relationship with my ex works.

For airflow, I use Noctua NF-A14 on the bottom intake and Coolermaster 120 Lite on the top intake. I have this assumption that a 240/280 mm radiator will blow warm air into the GPU directly. So I use a single rad on top so the GPU can get as cool air as possible from the intake. The temps on main components are lovely. The processor temp max out at around 70 degrees C on my QBX with Noctua NH-D9L, now I maxed out around 50 degrees C. The Coolermaster was supposed to be a stopgap since it's the only AIO flexible enough to fit inside the QBX. Turns out it works great on the Nano S as well.

Love the case. Wished it's slightly narrower, but with that 120 mm exhaust, I don't think it's possible unless they went with 80 mm exhaust... But then, some uses that exhaust for rad mount as well.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Everything just lines up and there's always function to every crease and protrusion

That is exactly my impression when I built in the Nano for a friend. Great case indeed.

And congrats for the build!

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
That is exactly my impression when I built in the Nano for a friend. Great case indeed.

And congrats for the build!
Thanks. It's a wonderful case, very user friendly. The size definitely kills me, but with the sound dampening... Still gushing for the case.

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 8, 2018
Always loved the look of that case, but like you said, the size killed it for me, too. They could have put the PSU at the front/top of the case much like the Cougar and it would have made the case so much smaller. Build looks great though.

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
Nice setup..;)
It reminds me some of my former setup (see my signature..;))
Wow, saw your past Nano S build, that's a lot of empty space. With that configuration, the Nano S can be cut down by a third more, but I guess Fractal wants to cover as many people as possible.

By the way, greetings fellow tanker o7. I played WoT too on SEA server. Currently clubbing seals with my tier 5 gold tanks to pad my stats. Been pushing British turreted TD line with no hope and the IS-6 as gold farmer has been emasculated with the new German mini Maus line.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Wow, saw your past Nano S build, that's a lot of empty space. With that configuration, the Nano S can be cut down by a third more, but I guess Fractal wants to cover as many people as possible.

By the way, greetings fellow tanker o7. I played WoT too on SEA server. Currently clubbing seals with my tier 5 gold tanks to pad my stats. Been pushing British turreted TD line with no hope and the IS-6 as gold farmer has been emasculated with the new German mini Maus line.
You are right my FD Nano setup was half full of void..;)

ps : ahah, stop playing T5 premium...;) Personnallly I love playing 8+ tier...:D