De-pin via NFC Youtube Video

Cerberus

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
I've followed NFC's () de-pinning guide. However, I've spend a couple days trying to de-pin a HD Plex cable with the Molex de-pinner. My goal is to manage my Skyreach cables. I could just cut the cables and install new PCI-E/ATX connectors on the ends of the cables. I thought that de-pinning my be a skill worth learning, but on second thought it appears to be more trouble than it is worth. Please let me know if you have any tips for de-pinning or if you think it's not worth the trouble. By de-pinning, I could save the PCI-E/ATX connectors, but I do not see any other benefit. Thanks.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
I see depinning is essential for cable sleeving. You just need crimping tool, crimp connectors (which is dirt cheap), depin tool(s) and some heatshrinks.

Noone is going to stock multiple minifit jr connectors if they just want to shorten and sleeve their cables. Especially if they came included with their psu already.

You can also forget pinouts entirely if you sleeve the cables one by one..

Cerberus

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
I have the Molex de-pinner, and other tools. I will practice some more and buy another brand de-pinner if I still can't get the technique. Thanks.

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
I have the Molex de-pinner, and other tools. I will practice some more and buy another brand de-pinner if I still can't get the technique. Thanks.

You shouldn't have to bother with any others besides the name brand one.

Insert the tool all the way and keep it in the hole while pulling the wire out. I've had to do this countless times due to screwed up cable lengths, etc.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I would also recommend not using the double action crimp.

Get the official molex cheapo one for $50 if you will do this hobby long term. It has a separate action for conduct crimp and insulator crimp. Takes only about 15 seconds more but you will get cleaner crimps.

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
He's referring to the ratcheting ones (which crimp both parts of the terminal simultaneously). It could just be due to experience, but I get perfect crimps every time with MDPC's tool. Then again, I pre-crimp all my terminals so they don't move around on me.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
I'm actually looking to invest in one, maybe not mdpc-x tool cos shipping's gonna kill the cost. Thing is I also find myself needing to crimp spade/fork connectors, and sometimes even coax (RG cables to SMA family connectors), so I need extra crimp dies suitable for it.

What do you guys think of this?