DanCase A4 w/ Asetek 92mm AIO (12-core Xeon & 1080ti)

The6A

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
Been trying to build a portable workstation. I am a freelancer, and hate not having good hardware/software setups so like to roll my own. This is my attempt to cram everything I need into a portable setup. I am doing a video on this but thought I would share todays battle with installing the asetek AIO in the dan case....uh yeh not that easy.

Setup:
Dan Case v01
x99e-itx/ac
e5-2690v3 12-core ES
64mb ECC ram (forgot the type but MB can do 2x32gb sticks ! )
Corsair 600SF PSU
EVGA GTX 1080 TI SC2
Astetek 92mm AIO

Originally I started with the 1U passive Heatsink and the 92mm Noctua. Temps went to 96+ and CPU throttled after 6 or 7 mins. After installing the AIO and leaving it outside the case without any mods, I seemed to level at aprox 73C after 15mins. So I broke out the Dremel and did some ugly ass case mods. heres what I learned:

1) struggle to get in installed as Dan did but eventually got it. with fan sucking through rad and pumping air into the case. Worked OK but case temps steady raised and after 15mis or so CPU temps were around 95 I think. the case was dam hot. just too much heat from the Xeon 12-core 135TDP to be dumping in the case.

2) I had tried to get the rad hose close to the MB side but the GPU would overlap cutting off hoses. Having the Hose connections on the outside (closest to front of case, which is how I think Dan did it) meant the hoses went across the fan. This kinda worked with the fan guard and fan blowing into case but when fan was orientated blowing out the hoses would push into the fan blades.

I think I installed the shit like 4-5 times with different configs but.......Eventually I ended up having the hose connections on the inside so they didn't cross the fan, but modded the case so the GPU sits up higher. I moved the stand-offs for the riser and used a long bolt to make the GPU sit up about 3/4" higher. this way I could get the fan pushing air out of the case. Then sat the case upside-down, so not only could you see my horrible hack Dremel work, but it gave the hot air a straight exit. With all that after a 20min stress test with panels on, the GPU was around 68C (ICX nice !!! ) and the CPU leveled off around 82C. Acceptable. I think I would feel oK setting this thing to render all night now.

Dont quote me on exact temps, just spitballing after a long day of messing around. but suffice to say in you are gonna have a high TDP CPU cranking in the dan case I recommend getting the Asetek AIO and getting it to push the air out of the case. maybe other air cooers work better than the setup I started with but for narrow ILM there isn't much....

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Well i'm a bit confused with this build i must admit.

Asetek 92mm kit with noctua slim fan is odd for me. You have absolutely no cooling on your motherboard.

Please don't pretend you only reach 68°c on stress test with gtx 1080ti sc2. Even if icx cooler is nice, the only way to reach that temperature is simply your gpu is not fully loaded.
You have to precise gpu core speed, benchmark used, resolution.

For info, with my msi gtx 1080ti gaming x, well cooled, i'm reaching up to 84°c in mass effect andromeda, 4k...during cinematics, where tons of additional effects are added and framerate is around 45fps...that's the maximum load i've reached....all others 3d benchmarks never reached that load based on my experience.

So please precise your testing methods..:)

Reactions: rcodi