Enclosure Dan Case A4 SFX

Dawelio

Awesomeness
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Hello guys,

So for those who owns this case, I am wondering, since I used to own the V3 model about a year ago or so, but now I'm back on ATX.

The issue for me back then, and the reason I went back to full ATX, was that for some reason (maybe very common sense to you all), the top part/panel of the case got extremely hot. Almost to the point, where I would almost get burned by just touching the surface of the top panel.

Have any of you ever experienced this? What would you recommend to try and to avoid this, as best as possible? At the time I was running the hugely big EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 card. I've seen reviews saying that a smaller, 2 fan card, would be better equipped regarding heat overall. Due to having more space around it in the case. Not sure how justified that is though.

Just have been wanting to ask this for a while now on this forum, since it's more specifically for small form factor builds, rather than many other forums out there.

Thanks,
Dawelio

Jovogdiar

Caliper Novice
Apr 29, 2018
It's not about the size of the card. It's about the TDP. A smaller card using the same chipset will generate the same amount of heat but in a more concentrated and likely more difficult to cool package. Either your card heats up, or your case heats up. Pick 1. Seeing as the fins on GPUs are oriented vertically when installed in a Dan Case thus making the air flow vertically out of the GPU, I don't think having more horizontal space next to the card at the back of the case will make any difference. So probably don't put a 2080 in there and you should be fine. If you hadn't installed exhaust fans at the bottom, doing that would help too.

SirPodgio

What's an ITX?
Jul 23, 2019
@Dawelio I am using the Dan A4 and I had the same problem, using an AMD 1600x and RTX 2080. Since changing my CPU cooler from Cryorig C7 to Black Ridge, the top of the case doesn't get hot at all now but the side does, where the CPU cooler exhausts. This proves, at least in my case, it is not the GPU causing the red hot case but the CPU. This makes sense too because I am having issues keeping my CPU cool and about to upgrade to either NCASE M1 or Sliger SM580 as I want a quiet, good performing system.

To answer your question, I don't think you can avoid it as your components emit a certain amount of heat and if most of that goes up then that's where it will get hot. You either need to use lower TDP components or change your cooling configuration. You didn't say what CPU you are using but in my case I think the 1600x is simply a hot CPU so tough! :)

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
The outlet air of GPUs and CPU is very hot. Aluminum is a very very good conductor of heat (heatsink fins are made out of aluminum). The case is very small so hot air has nearly no time to cool down before reaching the panels. Everything above 50°C is uncomfortable to touch.

If you like to minimze this "problem" get GPU with blower cooler, a fan duct for your CPU heatsink and a 65W TDP CPU.