DAN A4 V4.1 build with Ryzen 5600X

luke2122

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 28, 2020
After having read a lot of threads in this forum, I just completed my build besides the GPU ( waiting for the upcoming RTX3060 Ti ASUS DUAL MINI version, which I think is the best choice for me in this A4 case so far) so I temporally use my old MSI 1080 before 3060ti.
Overall, have to say I am very satisfied by good temperature and decent performance, in terms of the new AMD cpu, I locked my 5600X's all cores with 4.5G by 1.25V, and the idle temp is about 45-48 degrees and when I play 3A games at 1440P high setting, it goes up to 50-62 in most cases.
Below is the build list:
CPU: R5 5600X
Motherboard: ROG STRIX B550i Gaming
RAM: Crucial Ballistrix RGB 3600 8G x 2 Kit
SATA3.0:Crucial MX500 1TB
NVME M.2:SanDisc M.2 1TB
Cooler:AXP90 Full Back
FAN:Noctua A9X14 Chromax black x2
POWER:Corsair SF600
GPU:(RTX 3060T ASUS DUAL MINI)—Still waiting

daddelbud

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 9, 2019
Sounds really nice. How did you set up your case fans? Pull/Exhaust?

why do you plan to go with a mini 3060?

luke2122

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 28, 2020
Sounds really nice. How did you set up your case fans? Pull/Exhaust?

why do you plan to go with a mini 3060?
Hi, I set up my case fans as both pull air, I haven't studied the differences before my build.
The reason why I prefer 3060 ti Mini is I reckon the weight /size and the temperature would be more vital than the performance, I guess the Asus 3060 Ti mini would be a smart choice as a balance between these factors.

daddelbud

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 9, 2019
Hi, I set up my case fans as both pull air, I haven't studied the differences before my build.
The reason why I prefer 3060 ti Mini is I reckon the weight /size and the temperature would be more vital than the performance, I guess the Asus 3060 Ti mini would be a smart choice as a balance between these factors.
Ok, so they pull the hot Air out of the case?

my experience is that mini cards run a little hotter and louder, as it has less fans -and when you have the room I dont get the compromise. But I guess only time(and reviews) Will tell

luke2122

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 28, 2020
Ok, so they pull the hot Air out of the case?

my experience is that mini cards run a little hotter and louder, as it has less fans -and when you have the room I dont get the compromise. But I guess only time(and reviews) Will tell
Sorry I think my expression would be wrong, my fans setting should be exhaust.(exhaust air towards cpu:()
Thanks for the mention, I guess even the mini card perform hotter than the larger one, but may be 3060Ti should be all right compared with 3070 , anyway, just wait to see the test first :)

daddelbud

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 9, 2019
Cool, thanks for sharing and sorry for spamming your post.

I currently have 3600 + l9a, but plan to go your route

luke2122

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 28, 2020
Just figure out how to upload photos

daddelbud

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 9, 2019
No worries, very glad to share with it, hope you could get your build soon.
Is it the 9x14 on your axc-90? Did you try the original fan?

from your pictures it looks like the fan case (at least the front one) is set to exhaust... now Im confused :(

luke2122

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 28, 2020
Is it the 9x14 on your axc-90? Did you try the original fan?

from your pictures it looks like the fan case (at least the front one) is set to exhaust... now Im confused :(
I used one Noctua black 9x14 fan right below the motherboard and install another one on top of axp90 instead of its original fan, and put the axp90's original fan below the corsair sf600, and the bottom fans' and cooler fan's direction is just as photo is shown. Hope it is clear this time.

Last edited:

daddelbud

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 9, 2019
I used one Noctua black 9x14 fan right below the motherboard and install another one on top of axp90 instead of its original fan, and put the axp90's original fan below the corsair sf600, and the bottom fans' and cooler fan's direction is just as photo is shown. Hope it is clear this time.
Sounds good, by what was the reason you swapped the fan on the cooler and did you see a change in performance?

luke2122

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 28, 2020
Sounds good, by what was the reason you swapped the fan on the cooler and did you see a change in performance?
Based on my study, I just thought Axp90's fan will be louder than Noctua a9 Chromax fan, but actually it seems no distinct difference, so if you really wanna remain noisy at a low level, it is highly recommended to adopt Noctua a9x14 normal version (the brown one)

Last edited:

drmarkuse

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 13, 2020
I just saw your post and your temperatures under load seem great. I use a Noctua l9i and the 5600x gets up to 80 C° hot. Can you share which settings you have in your bios to lock your cores? I would like to try them

luke2122

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 28, 2020
I just saw your post and your temperatures under load seem great. I use a Noctua l9i and the 5600x gets up to 80 C° hot. Can you share which settings you have in your bios to lock your cores? I would like to try them
Hi, I advise you can use Cpu-z to check you voltage and frequency firstly, your high temperature is probably due to a high voltage caused by PBO, you can go to your BIOS switch off PBO and input an target Cpu frequency and a lower cpu voltage value manually, and try out a couple of times via tools such as Aida 64 etc to work out the best match.

drmarkuse

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 13, 2020
I already tried enabling and disabling PBO, as well as ECO-mode. Unfortunately, the load temps stay similar, as if PBO is not working. Will try again and have a look at vcore more closely. I have a gigabyte 550i board, maybe there are still some bugs in the bios. What is your CPU frequency?

luke2122

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 28, 2020
I already tried enabling and disabling PBO, as well as ECO-mode. Unfortunately, the load temps stay similar, as if PBO is not working. Will try again and have a look at vcore more closely. I have a gigabyte 550i board, maybe there are still some bugs in the bios. What is your CPU frequency?
As you mentioned, maybe you can also update the bios to see if there is a improvement or check the cooling installation? According to many users' review, the 5600X indeed has a better thermal performance than last generation. I updated my motherboard to latest Bios and locked my CPU frequency as 4.5GHz with 1.25V. In the stress test, the temperature goes up to 80° at most.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkByrne

Tashi

Trash Compacter
Jun 15, 2019
Are you getting more FPS in games with the CPU OC? Reviews seem to indicate otherwise.

luke2122

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 28, 2020
Are you getting more FPS in games with the CPU OC? Reviews seem to indicate otherwise.
Sorry I haven’t compared the FPS changes before/after OC, but there are obvious improvements when it compared with my previous CPU( i7-6700k), especially during single-core biased games like Civilisations 6, EU4.