Dan A4 v4.1 build. Advice on parts to buy!!!!

hieberflab

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 16, 2019
Hi all,

I am new to this forum. I hope everyone is doing ok? So anyway, ever since the SFF came on to the scene I have been fascinated by the idea of it and have always wanted to build one myself. I have build a computer for myself before (many, many years ago) but it was an intel i5-3rd gen gaming computer, gaming at 60FPS/60Hz (i know, pretty old skool).

So now, I find myself being overwhelmed by new technologies and such I don't really know what parts to buy. I know for sure I won't be doing any OC since I want to keep everything cool and would like to game in 1080p, don't really care about 4K. I have watched some youtube videos and have settle on some parts which I think is good, but the rest I would really appreciate some help.

My part list:

Case: Dan A4 v4.1 (obviously!!!)
Motherboard: H310/B360 or B365 (not sure if i should consider H370)
CPU: Intel i5-???? (not sure which generation)
CPU cooler: Alpenfohn Black Ridge w/ Noctua A12x15 chrome black fan
Memory: Kingston 8GB VLP
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2060 FE
PSU: Corsair SFX 600w
Monitor: 1080p (not sure if i should get 120Hz/144Hz/240Hz, etc, etc)
Dust filters: Demcifilters
Custom cables: Pslate (will wait until their cables are in store before ordering other parts)

I am not sure if looking at the parts you would think this is a budget gaming build but I would like to think so and it is something I would like to work towards to.

I am also up for the idea of getting older generation parts if you think it better suits me. I would mainly be playing FPS, like Call of Duty at maximum settings (if possible)

Jon

DemLep

Caliper Novice
Nov 8, 2019
What is your budget? Is it just for the tower or for the needed peripherals as well? This will help for picking the CPU and other pricey parts.
If it is in the budget go with a 144Hz monitor. Best price for frame rate right now. Also, if you have older keyboard and/or mouse you might want to update to lower latency models. It does make a difference for gaming.

hieberflab

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 16, 2019
What is your budget? Is it just for the tower or for the needed peripherals as well? This will help for picking the CPU and other pricey parts.
If it is in the budget go with a 144Hz monitor. Best price for frame rate right now. Also, if you have older keyboard and/or mouse you might want to update to lower latency models. It does make a difference for gaming.

Hi DemLep,

Thanks for replying. Erm..I don't really have a budget in mind. I would to have a gaming computer which is powerful enough to play any or if not, most AAA games while keeping on stock speeds and without having to use liquid cooling and such.

Jon

larkmaj

Trash Compacter
Nov 26, 2019
At 1080p you might be happy with a GTX 1660 Super. Keeping budget in mind you might consider going AMD with something like a 2600 and B450. Although in the A4 you can only get 3.1 Gen 2 on that front panel with Intel. 9400F is probably a good option on the Intel side. I'd also consider going up to 16GB RAM.

For 1080p you should not go bigger than 24 inches. Just find a well priced 24-inch 144hz Gsync (or freesync).

hieberflab

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 16, 2019
At 1080p you might be happy with a GTX 1660 Super. Keeping budget in mind you might consider going AMD with something like a 2600 and B450. Although in the A4 you can only get 3.1 Gen 2 on that front panel with Intel. 9400F is probably a good option on the Intel side. I'd also consider going up to 16GB RAM.

For 1080p you should not go bigger than 24 inches. Just find a well priced 24-inch 144hz Gsync (or freesync).

Hi larkmaj,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm more of an Intel fanboy. Which would be the best chipset to get then? Is there any reason why you would suggest no bigger than 24" monitor?

larkmaj

Trash Compacter
Nov 26, 2019
Hi larkmaj,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm more of an Intel fanboy. Which would be the best chipset to get then? Is there any reason why you would suggest no bigger than 24" monitor?

Monitor size is about viewing distance and resolution. At 1080p and typical viewing distance the thinking is 24" is ok, but a bigger monitor would give you a lower pixel density and the image would be less sharp. 32" ultrawide is also good at 1080p I think.

I'm not very familiar with intel chipsets but a quick search tells me what you picked out are good budget options. Just make sure it has the right connections, like a 3.1 Gen 2 header if that's a concern for you. If you're not overclocking then chipset is not a huge concern beyond those basic compatibilities. With Intel I would recommend not blowing the bank on a motherboard with features you don't need since by the time you are looking for a new CPU you'll probably need a new socket to be compatible.

DemLep

Caliper Novice
Nov 8, 2019
While what larkmaj is true about resolution. I have two 27" monitors that are 1080p and sit about 2-2 1/2 feet away from. I have no problem with the sharpness. So I think it is a use preference at that size if you want it a little sharper or more space.