Dan A4 SFX 4.1 Build Question

thisandthat

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 11, 2021
Hello.

I'm new to this forum and glad I found a place which specializes into SFF.

I currently have a PC with the following specs:

• MB: Asus ROG Strix Gaming-F ITX
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4
  • CPU: Intel 10900K
  • HDD: Samsung EVO 970 1TB
  • AIO: Kraken Z73
  • Case: NZXT H510i Elite + several RGB Fans
  • GFX: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 Ti
  • Power: Seasonic Focus GX 750

I would like to put that power into a new DAN A4 SFX 4.1 Case and would like to know what to buy.

here are my thoughts. please let me know if that's alright for a SFF Build.

• Case: Dan A4 SFX 4.1
  • MB: Gigabyte Motherboard Z490, Z490I AORUS Ultra
    OR Gigabyte Z590I AORUS Ultra 1.0 Motherboard
    OR ASUS ROG Strix Z490-I Gaming
  • CPU: Intel 10900K (from my old PC)
  • HDD: Samsung EVO 970 1TB (from my old PC)
  • Fan#1: Alphenföhn with 92mm Noctua Upgrade
  • Fan#2: Do I need a second fan? If so, where to put it?
  • GFX: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 Ti (from my old PC)
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4 (from my old PC)
  • Power: Can I use my Seasonic Focus FX 750 or will I need a different one?

I hoep to get some feedback from you. I've highlighted everything blue that I assume to buy new. Which can't be used from my old PC....

Thanks so much in advance. Looking forward to your replies. :-)

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Case: Dan A4 SFX 4.1

GFX: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 Ti (from my old PC)
these 2 don't go together - your graphics card is 3-slot but the case can only accommodate 2-slot cards, thus:
  • If you stick with the graphics card (most likely since the market has been crap for almost a year), my suggestion is to wait for Lian Li/DAN A4-H2O if you are into Dan's design, OR look at other SFF cases that can accommodate 3-slot graphic cards
  • If you are willing to swap to a 2-slot graphic cards then the Dan-A4 will work fine.
this is the most critical decision you need to make, it will dictate cooler and PSU compatibility, as well as additional case fans (if any).

thisandthat

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 11, 2021
Oh no...
Thanks so much. I thought it was a 2 slot graphic card but opening my case showed me, that it's actually deeper than I thought.
The H2O will come on in Q4. Is there a proper release date or still just Q4 ?

I also have the KRAKEN Z63 as AIO. AFAIK, this would fit intot he A4 H2O?
I like Dan's design but I'm willing to go for anything compact and SFF. So if you have any ?

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
There will be official spacers available that will allow 3 slot cards to be used from Dan himself later on (exact date unknown), yet you can 3d-print one as well in the meantime. As for the cpu, I'm not that familiar with Intel, but that's a cpu with a tdp of 125w. Cooling that one might be a little problematic in this case.
The Dan A4 is terrific for 65w cpu's and 200-250w gpu's. Should you have a build featuring components like that, it's amazing to have them reliably accommodated within 7L and an SFX psu. Anything higer than that might work better in bigger cases like the Ncase M1 for example.

Reactions: thisandthat

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
The H2O will come on in Q4. Is there a proper release date or still just Q4 ?
AFAIK no exact date yet

I also have the KRAKEN Z63 as AIO. AFAIK, this would fit intot he A4 H2O?
No, A4 H20 only accommodate 240 AIO / radiator

I like Dan's design but I'm willing to go for anything compact and SFF. So if you have any ?
  • sub-10L: various Ghost clones from taobao that have 3-slot compatibility, but most often mentioned are ZS A4 v3.1 and Acat X1; FormD T1 (highly desirable and extremely scarce), SFFtime P-ATX
  • 12-15L: Ncase M1, SSUPD Meshlicious (you can keep the Kraken Z63), SSFtime N-ATX (you can keep current ATX motherboard and ATX PSU), iQuinix ZX-1, Sliger S610
  • 15L and larger: NR200 or NR200P MAX (to be released), Sliger S620, SV540/590, Sliger Cerberus, Acat X2

The H2O is the same as the C4-SFX ??? (from his website)
No, 2 different cases

• Love

thisandthat

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 11, 2021
AFAIK no exact date yet

No, A4 H20 only accommodate 240 AIO / radiator

• sub-10L: various Ghost clones from taobao that have 3-slot compatibility, but most often mentioned are ZS A4 v3.1 and Acat X1; FormD T1 (highly desirable and extremely scarce), SFFtime P-ATX
  • 12-15L: Ncase M1, SSUPD Meshlicious (you can keep the Kraken Z63), SSFtime N-ATX (you can keep current ATX motherboard and ATX PSU), iQuinix ZX-1, Sliger S610
  • 15L and larger: NR200 or NR200P MAX (to be released), Sliger S620, SV540/590, Sliger Cerberus, Acat X2

No, 2 different cases
Looks like the C4 will be what I was looking for, right?
The KRAKEN would fit in there. I will google and see what the difference between C4 and H2O is.

to me, it looks the same. I can't find anything about the H2O. Looks like it will still take time for it to get released.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Looks like the C4 will be what I was looking for, right?
Dan is expanding the width of the C4 and we haven't seen any prototype of this new version and given Dan's approach of it-will-be-done-when-it-is-done, I don't see how the C4 can be released in the next 6-9 months.

The KRAKEN would fit in there. I will google and see what the difference between C4 and H2O is.
just look at the respective threads in this forum, Dan is active here and you always get updates here first anyway.

Shaytanya

Trash Compacter
May 5, 2020
I agree with all of the above, but I can add to the thermals question.
I run a Dan A4 with a overclocked 10600K and a 3080 FE - 92mm 645LT Asetek cooler (specifically designed for the A4), does the trick for the CPU. However, if you are running any M.2 in additon to your SSD you may need another active fan above the m.2 (I use the 40mm Nocuta 5000RPM) one - as otherwise my M.2 were running way too hot (to the point they would die).
The 3080FE is obviously not perfect for this case, but it runs fine (again another 5000RPM Noctua fan providing active cooling). If I run a high end game or do a render, it does get noisy as the fans need to work at full tilt.

If you go for the AIO - I'd recommend custom cables from Pslate customs - although it is technically not needed, there is no way I could fit them in with that little space without the custom ones.

thisandthat

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 11, 2021
I think I'll wait for the C4-H2O case to get released and switch my peripherals if needed when that comes out.
Best bet. I'd love the Dan A4 so much but I cannot throw out my GFX card which cost me 1.400 EUR one or two years ago 😂 hurts too much.

So I'll wait for the three slot case. I'd even switch to air cooling but since the H2O has AIO support, I'll gladly stick to my kraken or anything else (which is super quiet).