Cyberpunk 2077 DAN A4 v4/4.1 rig

JohnTinkerer

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
Hello Community,

As you are probably aware the Cyberpunk 2077 hardware requirements have been released:

Twitter source^

And while even if you have 4 years old high end GPU you will be fine my 3 years old medium range laptop GPU is only about 58% speed of the minimum requirements (GTX 780 or Radeon RX 470) so there is no way I can run it even though rest of the PC is fine (4C/8T@2.9GHz i7 with 32 GB of RAM).

While I don't need to rush with the release date which is 10th December 2020, I would like to have a rig ready in January or mid February 2021 so the worst bugs have been patched and the game is somewhat stable. I would like to play at least in high details in 1080p(2Mpix) but ideally in medium/high details in something like 2160p (~6Mpix) which is resolution that is native for my monitor setup.

Which leaves me with the following options:
(1) "ASUS ROG Strix Radeon RX 570 OC, ROG-STRIX-RX570-O8G-GAMING, 8GB GDDR5" as recommended for the "Pricebreaker" config here^ and I have to say I'm not happy with the choice as in my local market it costs about US$160 which is apparently US$9 below introduction price 3 years ago^ and it's only 42% of the Radeon RX 5700 XT^ and maybe 25% of the newest Radeons RX 6800 series.

This leaves me with 1080p and high details - not great but I can live with it I guess if nobody has any better idea.

(2) Buy the PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 XT Red Dragon, 8GB GDDR6 as listed in "AMD Performance" config here^. The issue is it's not available in my market and no other RX 5700 XT ( or non-XT) seems to fit the DAN case^. I really don't want to ship GPU from overseas as it means expensive shipping and lots of trouble if the card does not work.

I would probably rather stick with the RX 570 OC than go through this.

(3) Wait for something from the RX 6700 range in hopes that it will be a bit more available than the RX 6800 which is hopelessly sold out and probably won't be available for long time for reasonable price, probably will be physically smaller than the RX 5700 while delivering similar performance and probably cost a bit less than the RX 5700 XT or at worst cost the same.
Edit: Navi 22 XT, which is expected to be used by Radeon RX 6700 XT, is believed to feature total graphics power of 186 to 211W. Even if AMD uses the higher value, it will still be lower than RX 5700 XT, which had a power consumption of 225W.
When it comes to the RX 6700 non-XT, believed to feature Navi 21 XL, this model would require between 146 to 156W. This value is lower than the RX 5700 non-X series as well (with TBP at 180W).

Source: videocardz.com - AMD Radeon RX 6700 (XT) Series to feature Navi 22 GPU and up to 12GB GDDR6 memory^

This is a wild card and the wait will be probably be really long maybe even till March 2021 as the cards should be introduced in January 2021... So in the meantime I would probably have to buy the RX 570 OC anyway and then get rid of it later I suppose...

(4) Is there a 4th option?
I don't think there is any chance that the RX 6800 would ever fit...

What about those 5600 XT cards? It's about 84% of the speed of the 5700 XT for 71% of the price.
Though these do not seem to fit:
ROG-STRIX-RX5600XT-O6G-GAMING^
ROG-STRIX-RX5600XT-T6G-GAMING^
(both because of length?)
TUF 3-RX5600XT-T6G-EVO-GAMING^
(because of the width?)
RX-56XT6DFD6^
(height and width?)
SAPPHIRE PULSE RX 5600 XT 6G GDDR6 (11296-01-20G)^
(width?)
MSI Radeon RX 5600 XT Mech OC^
(width?)
5600 non-XT are OEM only and unavailable.

5500 XT would fit
but I'm not excited about its performance the "MSI Radeon RX 5500 XT MECH 8G OC" costs about US$218 (the 4GB version - MSI Radeon RX 5500 XT MECH 4G OC is about US$183)
FPS/$ speaking RX 570 is $160 (73% price of the MSI Radeon RX 5500 XT MECH 8G OC) while performance wise sits at 78% of this model. The older RX 570 is 150W TDP while the newer one is only 130W TDP...

Btw I really don't want nVidia GPU as the Linux drivers are still somewhat poor compared to the AMD and Linux functionality is important for me...

What are your thoughts on this? I would rather not spend more than US$500 on GPU alone (which is the price of RX 5700 XT) but if it can't be helped I guess I could push it a bit.

Last edited:

JohnTinkerer

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020

Yes thx - that one should fit, also looking at the master list^ and after applying (generous) filters for DAN A4 v4 case size these "should" fit:

[TD valign="top"]
GPU​
[/TD][TD valign="top"]
Model​
[/TD][TD valign="top"]
Brand​
[/TD][TD valign="top"]
Name​
[/TD][TD valign="top"]
Length (mm)​
[/TD][TD valign="top"]
Width (mm)​
[/TD][TD valign="top"]
Height / Thickness (mm)​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
AMD​
[/TD][TD valign="bottom"]
RX 5500 XT 4GB GDDR6​
PowerColor
RX 5500 XT (4GBD6-DH/OC)
240​
126​
38​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
AMD​
RX 5500 XT 4GB GDDR6​
Sapphire
[/TD][TD valign="bottom"] [/TD][TD valign="bottom"]
233​
121.8​
39.6​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
AMD​
RX 5500 XT 8GB GDDR6​
PowerColor
RX 5500 XT (8GBD6-DH/OC)
240​
126​
38​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
AMD​
RX 5500 XT 8GB GDDR6​
Sapphire
233​
121.8​
39.6​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
AMD​
RX 5700 8GB GDDR6​
[/TD][TD valign="middle"]
Asus
270​
110​
35​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
AMD​
RX 5700 8GB GDDR6​
Gigabyte
RX 5700
270​
110​
35​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
AMD​
RX 5700 8GB GDDR6​
HIS
RX 5700
268​
111.2​
38​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
AMD​
RX 5700 8GB GDDR6​
MSI
RX 5700
270​
110​
35​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
AMD​
RX 5700 8GB GDDR6​
PowerColor
RX 5700
270​
110​
35​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
AMD​
RX 5700 8GB GDDR6​
Sapphire
RX 5700
268​
111​
36​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
AMD​
RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6​
Sapphire
RX 5700 XT
272​
111​
36​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
AMD​
RX 6800 16GB GDDR6​
PowerColor
266.7​
119.75​
39.75​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
AMD​
RX 6800 16GB GDDR6​
Sapphire
266.7​
119.75​
39.75​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
AMD​
RX 6800 16GB GDDR6​
XFX
266.67​
119.8​
39.8​
[/TD]

Btw the Sapphire one (SAPPHIRE Radeon RX 5700 XT 8G GDDR6 [#SKU#: 21293-01-40G]) is really tiny:
Form Factor 2 slot, ATX
Dimension: 272(L)X 111(W)X 36 (H)mm.

Last edited:

JohnTinkerer

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
I modified the OP to include more details on the upcoming RX 6700 - it seems like a really interesting chip...

JohnTinkerer

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
Btw the game is rigged with bugs (as expected) has performance issues and for some people it won't even start. Apparently for Witcher 3 it took them 16 months to iron out all the bugs they cared to fix, this is way more ambitious project so I expect at least 24 months. I postponed the buy of the HW until RX 6700 comes out and purchase of the game until it's actually playable and in deep discount.

For reference:

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
This game got too big enough for hardware manufacturers to take interest and try to push their products through this game indirectly suggesting that you should upgrade in order to play properly. Release date got pushed back until the next gen arrived. It got released at the exact right time when new consoles on both sides hit the market, together with next gen gpu's and processors.

Aside from this... I soo wished to like it, but just don't find it interesting. The skills are not even as creative as in Deus Ex, mostly just +5 damage, etc... kind. The music is kind of a miss when there are whole genres of synthwave and vaporwave out there. Instead we have electro and rap. Visually, while it looks nice from a technical standpoint, it just doesn't resemble cyberpunk. For that is DARK. And dirty. Gloomy and bleak, with neon bringing some colour here and there. Here, it's an explosion of colours, everything's bright, sparkly clean and shiny, especially in broad daylight (which happens often despite the not so creative name of the city). It looks like Fortnite. Is there any person in this game who doesn't have a half-done haircut and pink party dress? You know just a normal nobody. There's none and this is as common mistake when trying to visualize the future. Surely they must dress ridiculously right? That is what makes it futuristic? No. And I guess overusing colors are the trend of 2020 seeing this in nearly every newer game, possibly in an attempt to make it more addictive as it does stimulate specific parts of the brain to release certain chemicals. Not necessarily a problem, but it's certainly not cyberpunk.

However the most annoying thing here is basically what was probably started with GTA5, that the whole game tries to sell you this annoying attitude of way too overly not giving AF and how you're the man and yeah, flash your car and bling your gear. Every character in every situation overacts this and just cannot express any emotion other than attempting to look and sound as tough as possible. Almost always without any reason at all. That just make it seem desperate. It's lame. Why can't somebody at least act natural for once? Including V, who I find hard to relate to when he doesn't show fear, weakness, affection, even humour. Or when he attempts do do the latter two, it's only in order to look more confident. That's what made me sick and stop playing GTA 5 too (this game is like a big GTA DLC in a futuristic setting with fps mode), but here it way too much even compared to that title to the point that it looses immersion and seem unreal and laughable. It's like 14 year olds wrote the script. I got fed up with all the unnecessary, unrealistic toughguyness being showed into the game in every possible dialogue without exception as it makes it annoying at best and just miserable at worst.

Reactions: Frenzy and Bubba

kiehl

Average Stuffer
Feb 23, 2020
This game got too big enough for hardware manufacturers to take interest and try to push their products through this game indirectly suggesting that you should upgrade in order to play properly. Release date got pushed back until the next gen arrived. It got released at the exact right time when new consoles on both sides hit the market, together with next gen gpu's and processors.

Aside from this... I soo wished to like it, but just don't find it interesting. The skills are not even as creative as in Deus Ex, mostly just +5 damage, etc... kind. The music is kind of a miss when there are whole genres of synthwave and vaporwave out there. Instead we have electro and rap. Visually, while it looks nice from a technical standpoint, it just doesn't resemble cyberpunk. For that is DARK. And dirty. Gloomy and bleak, with neon bringing some colour here and there. Here, it's an explosion of colours, everything's bright, sparkly clean and shiny, especially in broad daylight (which happens often despite the not so creative name of the city). It looks like Fortnite. Is there any person in this game who doesn't have a half-done haircut and pink party dress? You know just a normal nobody. There's none and this is as common mistake when trying to visualize the future. Surely they must dress ridiculously right? That is what makes it futuristic? No. And I guess overusing colors are the trend of 2020 seeing this in nearly every newer game, possibly in an attempt to make it more addictive as it does stimulate specific parts of the brain to release certain chemicals. Not necessarily a problem, but it's certainly not cyberpunk.

However the most annoying thing here is basically what was probably started with GTA5, that the whole game tries to sell you this annoying attitude of way too overly not giving AF and how you're the man and yeah, flash your car and bling your gear. Every character in every situation overacts this and just cannot express any emotion other than attempting to look and sound as tough as possible. Almost always without any reason at all. That just make it seem desperate. It's lame. Why can't somebody at least act natural for once? Including V, who I find hard to relate to when he doesn't show fear, weakness, affection, even humour. Or when he attempts do do the latter two, it's only in order to look more confident. That's what made me sick and stop playing GTA 5 too (this game is like a big GTA DLC in a futuristic setting with fps mode), but here it way too much even compared to that title to the point that it looses immersion and seem unreal and laughable. It's like 14 year olds wrote the script. I got fed up with all the unnecessary, unrealistic toughguyness being showed into the game in every possible dialogue without exception as it makes it annoying at best and just miserable at worst.
Comparing Cyberpunk to fortnight is like comparing Mercedes to ford. Your very negative about this game, just don't play it. For me it's excellent. Music is perfect, Colors of world fantastic exactly how I imagine myself cyber world and damage? hmm, you won't believe but I am hitting now 120h played time and I haven't shot a single person :D. The storyline and dialogues are a masterpiece - I was able to do one quest 3 different times that had totally different outcomes in the next steps - this is just crazy.

JohnTinkerer

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
Comparing Cyberpunk to fortnight is like comparing Mercedes to ford. Your very negative about this game, just don't play it. For me it's excellent. Music is perfect, Colors of world fantastic exactly how I imagine myself cyber world and damage? hmm, you won't believe but I am hitting now 120h played time and I haven't shot a single person :D. The storyline and dialogues are a masterpiece - I was able to do one quest 3 different times that had totally different outcomes in the next steps - this is just crazy.
This is what I sort of expected - really, really big game with great potential but because of the open world lots of problems which will take a while to iron out. I guess "for me" the game will be ready in about 6-12 months the HW is lined up for reasonable price (RX 6X00 series) and the game is available as either GOTY or at 50% off.