Enclosure Dan A4 Linus Tech Tip Video

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
For those of you actively following or crowdfunding the Dan A4 SFX, Linus has finally published his build video for the case. While this will be up for free public consumption next week on YouTube, but there is a one week content exclusive on www.vessel.com if you don't care to wait. Vessel is currently offering a one week free membership to try their service out which means as long as you don't mind cancelling right after viewing (or want to support the service for 2.99/mo to fund vloggers like Linus and Hardware Canucks), this is essentially a free video to watch.

lhl

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2015
Well that was nice, but no power, thermals, or noise measurements? Is that not a thing anymore?

One note for anyone building w/ an ASRock Rack board, I use one for my NAS, and it takes some extra time booting up/shutting down (IPMI interaction and extra sanity checking I assume).

That Dynatron T318 looks pretty great though, and only 27mm height.

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
One note for anyone building w/ an ASRock Rack board, I use one for my NAS, and it takes some extra time booting up/shutting down (IPMI interaction and extra sanity checking I assume).

Yup. The X99E-ITX you can also shove 64gb in it, though only dual channel, and it boots in more of a normal timeframe. Also, it has an M2 slot and a bunch more various back panel ports. (Unless you really need 3xGBE instead of 2).

Also, heh, I could be mistaken here, but actually it looks like the server board has no audio chipset or output - not listed in specs, no ports at the back, no on-board headers for it... so you'd end up needing to use an external DAC/Amp which adds a bit more external space. Guess you could just go with one of those headsets with an inline usb DAC & Amp...

Last edited:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Better overview of the Dan A4 than Awesome Hardware podcast. Those guys couldn't understand why this case is sold at a relatively high price.

Say what you will about the current quality of LTT videos, but I find it really great that independent SFF case producers are getting their prototypes out to the bigger tech channels and drawing in more interest.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Indeed. People seem to like hating on Linus, and I'm not a huge fan of him myself, but he pulls a lot of views, so it's great advertising.

danielbatmanj

Average Stuffer
May 16, 2016
Better overview of the Dan A4 than Awesome Hardware podcast. Those guys couldn't understand why this case is sold at a relatively high price.

Say what you will about the current quality of LTT videos, but I find it really great that independent SFF case producers are getting their prototypes out to the bigger tech channels and drawing in more interest.
why is it sold at such a high price?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Premium case, limited supply, high demand. Why wouldn't it be a high price?

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
He does a lot of absurd stuff. Like the linked video; hey we got this small case, let's but $5000 of server gear in it rather than showing people.
In general though, the way he presents information doesn't gel with me.

lhl

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2015
what do you have against linus??

I like LTT as entertainment, it's usually fun, but oftentimes its educational value is pretty questionable. Like watching that video, I have no idea how the case actually performed - what was the final temperature, did the CPUs throttle? was it loud under load? Heck, what were the maximum clearances even. It was neat to see the A4 in real life, but you get very little info on how it actually performed.

And then there's the clickbaitiness of it - "Ultimate Compact Gaming PC" - is it really? What's the tradeoff between running w/ a lot more cache and memory bandwidth but way lower clocks for gaming? How does the $4K Xeon actually compare to a $350 Skylake in performance? Sure would be nice to know considering he just built such a system, but nope, nada. Or like @vluft points out, what kind of Ultimate Gaming PC doesn't have any audio? (the one Linus built) - seriously, the EPC612D4I has 2 USB 3.0 ports and a VGA DSub (great for gamers!) in the back and that's about it - no USB C, USB 3.1, TB2, nvme, for a start, much less niceties like BT, Wifi, extra mPCIe or any other modern-day conveniences one might expect. In the face of all that, you'd expect an explanation of how/why this is the "Ultimate" setup, but... nope, just 10 seconds of Task Manager and AIDA to prove that it booted up. Glad I don't watch LTT expecting to learn much.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
I think LTT is supposed to release a fuller case review with a consumer mobo at some point. @dondan ?

Looks like it

EVGA 1080 Classified with a Z170 motherboard