Dan A4 Compatible Radeon RX 5700 cards

Apache974

What's an ITX?
Dec 12, 2019
I bring some information. I just received my case and I tried to fit my MSI RX 5700 MECH in it. The RX 5700 mech is clearly not compatible with the Dan Dase. The backplate is too thick, so the graphics card does not fit into the case. I removed the backplate (I lose the warranty) and everything fits in place! It's very tight, the fan rubs the sides when I press the sides.

Reactions: thelaughingman

Xavi3R

Cable Smoosher
Aug 26, 2019
I have a Red Dragon 5700 in my A4 and it fits fine. I think plugging in the power cables first before you set the card in is the way to go. I did not find it terribly tight at all, but it was definitely tighter than my old 970 FTW+. If you look close on my second pic it does seem to push the card down a bit.

Here was my build.
Ok I have to ask for temps.
Going for the same exact setup and would like to know cpu and gpu temps on oc bios.
Also noticed that the aio fan and bottom case fan are both pulling air in, doesn't this collide with the gpu's flow pushing air to the bot?

Last edited:

Broman

What's an ITX?
Dec 12, 2019
Does anyone know if the sapphire nitro+ 5700 XT fits, I think it just barely fits the specs but I'm not sure about the width

davidngyen

What's an ITX?
Dec 15, 2019
Did anyone try MSI Radeon RX 5700 MECH? Seems like it might just fit at 46mm. Had to return my Red Dragon as it seemed to die in a few hours - feeling nervous and looking for an MSI card.

edit: nevermind :( saw the post above.

askaiser

Case Bender
New User
Dec 15, 2019
I know this has been confirmed, but I'd also like to say that the PowerColor Red Dragon RX 5700 XT fits the Dan A4 SFX nicely.
You'll find the pictures here: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/2yjypg

Temps are a little bit high (see link), but there's still room for a Noctua NF-A9x14 under the motherboard. I just need better PSU cables first.
I went for a Corsair SF600 Gold, and the cables are too rigid. Fortunately a co-worker will provide me his unused cables from his SF600 Platinum.

This thread helped me chose the graphics card so I help these pictures help others decide.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
I know this has been confirmed, but I'd also like to say that the PowerColor Red Dragon RX 5700 XT fits the Dan A4 SFX nicely.
You'll find the pictures here: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/2yjypg

Temps are a little bit high (see link), but there's still room for a Noctua NF-A9x14 under the motherboard. I just need better PSU cables first.
I went for a Corsair SF600 Gold, and the cables are too rigid. Fortunately a co-worker will provide me his unused cables from his SF600 Platinum.

This thread helped me chose the graphics card so I help these pictures help others decide.

You should set your 92mm fan under GPU as an exhaust, not as an intake like it's now. Your GPU temps should improve.

Sparky

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 2, 2019
Ok I have to ask for temps.
Going for the same exact setup and would like to know cpu and gpu temps on oc bios.
Also noticed that the aio fan and bottom case fan are both pulling air in, doesn't this collide with the gpu's flow pushing air to the bot?

@Xavi3R, I seem to hover around 70-75c when I go on long stints of gaming. Usually at 1440p pushing 110+ fps. Card is usually pegged at max. I've also flashed the Red Dragon 5700XT Bios on it so it pulls the full 230 watts. Runs just fine with the conservative fan curve from factory. I think my fan speeds go up to 2300 rpm, so not terrible but audible. I am running 1938 mhz or so on the card at ~1200mv so the next step I was going to take was to undervolt it. But it is a PITA when the drivers keep crashing and resetting all of my settings.

As for the fan orientation, the AIO fan has to be the way it is or the cables will rub the fan since I did not buy an extra guard. As for the one under the mobo I just figured that the cold air from under the case would be enough to cool off the m.2 drive and chipset. The dual 100mm fans on the GPU though push waaaaay more air than the two noctuas do. I even have the noctua under the mobo with the inline adapter to drop the rpms because there would be this god awful whistle noise otherwise. I'm probably going to swap things eventually as I realllllly need to re-run the cables so they aren't so bunched up. But since my setup runs 70-75c on both GPU and CPU I'm not terribly worried. Junction temp is usually 80c +- 3c.

Reactions: Xavi3R

askaiser

Case Bender
New User
Dec 15, 2019
See now I'm confused, image 4 shows intake as fan orientation
askaiser have you tried both fan orientations?

I've added a 14mm Noctua fan under the motherboard. Really tight, I had to remove everything to put it. There's like 1 to 2 mm between the fan and the GPU riser.
The two fans are now as exhausts and I did notice a very small improvement on both GPU and CPU.
As it was so difficult to put this second fan, I didn't try to measure what it looks like as intake.

Also... I've returned the PowerColor RX 5700 XT to Amazon after encountering drivers issues:
  • Issues with some games with latest drivers Adrenalin 2020 (Battlefield V was crashing)
  • Most importantly, as the GPU junction temperature was quite high, I tried to change the fan curve.
    • Max fan speed was around 1000 - 1400 RPM even at full load
    • Latest drivers Adrenalin 2020 don't apply and save the fan curve at all. You change the curve, apply it, save the profile, then poof! Back to default.
    • Previous drivers Adrenalin 2019 does save the curve, but after a reboot the fan speed gets stuck at 65535 RPM - resulting in fans never spinning (105°C+ here we come).
    • The only way to make custom fan curves was to define a profile per game - but all games are not detected such as Microsoft Store games. I wasn't satisfied with this workaround.
However, not everybody had these issues. For Optimum Tech on YouTube, defining a custom fan curve worked well: youtu.be/zUkPAVcb9Xc?t=339

After reading quite a lot of similar reviews on Amazon and Newegg, I decided to return it and buy an EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER BLACK GAMING instead.
Temperatures are good: 50° to 60°. Quieter than the PowerColor. I can also undervolt it to win 5°C. No drivers issues at all and now very satisfied.

Reactions: Xavi3R

erzwolf

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 6, 2019
I ordered the PowerColor Red Dragon 5700xt yesterday as a replacement for my old 1070.
On pictures I saw the PowerColor has a backplate.
So my question to whom that use it: where did u route the riser? Still behind the GPU or under the Mobo.
Dunnow if I can put it there because I’ve got a M.2 on the back of my board.

laughingman

Cable Smoosher
Jul 2, 2019
  • Haha
Reactions: thelaughingman

laughingman

Cable Smoosher
Jul 2, 2019
Is there plenty of clearance to plug in the power cables? Or is it kind of a tight fit?

Sorry for the super delayed response. There's 2-3mm clearance to the side panel. Length of the card is not that long so there's plenty of space at the front panel part

Registered to say thanks for this. I was debating between red dragon and the pulse for my Dan case. Did you end up buying the pulse then returning it?

I ended up not buying the pulse. Good thing the seller let me tested the card to see if it fits.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
btw last week I tried jamming the Mech OC card in another case with 45mm clearance. if anyone lives where removing the backplate would not void warranty, feel free to remove it and use it in the case. the backplate itself was like 4mm, too thick for no good haha

JohnTinkerer

Trash Compacter
Nov 14, 2020

Looking at this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_RX_5000_series#Physical_characteristics

It seems the ONLY card that would ever fit inside a DAN 4.0/4.1 case is actually the "PowerColor Red Dragon RX 5700 XT" as it's the only one with 41mm in thickness as I assume that's the most troublesome requirement?

How about the non-XT versions ? Wikipedia does not mention them - are they somewhat smaller? (I don't think so)

Btw what does this mean:

Graphics Card

Width

Without backplate: 40 mm

Including backplate: 45 mm

@dondan

Does it mean that if you remove the backplate the maximum recommended width is 40mm so it won't touch the case and cause short circuit while if the backplate is left there up to 45mm can be considered?