Dan A4 120 MM fan over motherboard

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jun 9, 2020
Hi all,

wanted to see if anyone has attempted this, but I am looking to install a 120mm fan over the 645 LT mounted to my motherboard in my Dan A4 and most builds I've seen have just stuck it over the board. I have the 120mm aio bracket for the case and from what I've been able to see from test fitment with the components, it seems like the hole pattern on the psu quarter of the case could theoretically be drilled into the mobo quarter to let me mount the fan a bit more securely.

Now the main issue. I've never drilled holes into a metal case before and, while it seems simple on paper, I'm not super confident in my abilities. I'm wondering if any has attempted this mod, and if so, what size bit should I be looking for to drill the hole? I think the end result, if executed properly, should help out with cooling and be way more secure/professional looking.

Thanks in advance for your input.

SiKiaTriK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 28, 2019
Despite having an A4 myself I can't figure out what are you willing to do. Perhaps a couple photos holding the bracket / fan on the desired placement would help us to give you some tips or even rethink the entire thing.

BCGA.tech

Caliper Novice
Aug 14, 2020
The link dont get me anywhere.
Although i don't have a Dan A4, i'm prototyping a very similar chassi and i my case i managed to fit a slim 120mm fan over the motherboard. Is still a work in progress and i don't see the total benefits of doing that.
Hope you manage a way to fit this fan. I will wait for an update.

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jun 9, 2020
It did work and didn't require any holes, just had to remove the io cover on my motherboard and route cables and AIO tubes before inserting the fan and bracket

b4r

Cable Smoosher
Aug 11, 2019
I have also done this mod. If you remove the top rails on the frame of the case you can fit the 120mm AIO bracket then reattach the top railds. I didnt need to remove anything on teh motherboard. I didnt screw in the bracket there is plenty of friction to hold it in place.