Calling all airflow experts - need advice for cutting vents in aluminum

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
I have my HTPC in a Realan E-i7 case. The case is great and I'm in the process of upgrading it (see here), but the thermals need some work.

See here for an overview of my airflow problem.

As you can tell by looking at the layout and case lid, the vent holes are not in an ideal location for supplying fresh air to the CPU cooler. I ran some tests yesterday using Prime95 and found with the lid removed temperatures on the CPU drop 5 degrees with the CPU fan spinning slower. While this isn't a huge deal now, I plan on upgrading to a Ryzen 2400g CPU, which will have a higher TDP than my current Intel i3 chip. Along with that, I may upgrade the CPU cooler to something taller or with a more substantial fan, that will put the fan even closer to the case lid.

Therefore, I would like to determine a good method for adding extra vents to the case lid.

My first thought is to simply drill holes in typical hole pattern. Because the case lid is anodized aluminum it should be easy enough to drill through, but I'm a little concerned with making a clean hole that won't totally destroy the aesthetics of the case. I think the following would be a good work flow;

1) With the exterior of the lid facing up, screw the lid into a wooden board
2) Cover the lid in masking tape/painters tape
3) Using a straight edge, mark out a hole pattern. I plan on centering the hole pattern for aesthetics even though it may not line up exactly with my existing CPU cooler (or a future AMD motherboard)
4) Using a center punch, make indents on each marked hole
5) Using a drill, drill each hole

I believe this is the best way to get consistently spaced holes and minimize the chance of a drill bit marking up the exterior of the case. However, I have 3 questions for you pros:

1) Is this a reasonable work flow?
2) What is an appropriate hole size and hole spacing?
3) Am I better off drilling a pilot hole and then enlarging with a second drill operation, or drilling the final size hole in one go around?

Duality92

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 12, 2018
I did exactly the method you described in a ISK600 shell, very thin aluminium and it worked great, I then used a bigger drill bit (much bigger) to deburr and clean the holes using my hands only, not on the drill.

Reactions: smitty2k1

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
I did exactly the method you described in a ISK600 shell, very thin aluminium and it worked great, I then used a bigger drill bit (much bigger) to deburr and clean the holes using my hands only, not on the drill.

Yeah I thought about doing the same thing! I just used my fingernails to get the really loose bits off. Once I have the case open again I'll do the deburr method like you said.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Well done with the 204 holes!
Maybe adding a touch of permanent black pen (Sharpie I think you have in the US) into the holes to hide the alumiunium color could make the mod even nicer. Just a thought...

Duality92

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 12, 2018
Maybe adding a touch of permanent black pen (Sharpie I think you have in the US) into the holes to hide the alumiunium color could make the mod even nicer. Just a thought...

That case is way long gone, this was 2015. a 2x4 fell on it and the interior has been modded to house a 3D printers electronic at work.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Yeah that seems like a good idea. I may end up enlarging the holes first, I need to do some thermal tests once I OC the 2400g and get a bigger cooler. (NH-L12s planned as of right now)