Custom single slot GPU cooler?

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Original poster
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
Hello all! I have a single slot GTX 1050 Ti from ELSA that is just about an inch too long to fit perfectly in my case. I don't have the front plate installed so the GPU kinda hangs out the front (Pictures below). Does anyone have any suggestions for making a custom GPU fan and surrounding that's slightly shorter? The other option is to create a new front bezel, but I'm trying to minimize space.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Don't know if it's just me, but your pictures just show up as an "access denied"-ish sign. Where are you hosting them?

Reactions: thewizzard1

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Original poster
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
Don't know if it's just me, but your pictures just show up as an "access denied"-ish sign. Where are you hosting them?

Ah my apologies, I was trying to load them off my Google Images, but it appears it only worked on my side. Here's an Imgur gallery link:

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Original poster
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
I guess ELSA card is exactly the same as INNO3D, so here three ideas about custom cooler:

1. Modded cooler spare part from Gainward GTX750 One Slot
2. DIY heatsink like the first one using 90mm*100mm*15mm Aluminum Heatsink
3. DIY using 22mm height CPU cooler heatsink: 1032-00

Thanks for the information!! How would you recommend using that GTX750 cooler? Do you think it would properly cool the card? Would the mounting points be the same?

Same questions with the other two coolers. Which one would you go with?

Scott

Caliper Novice
Nov 29, 2016
Another option would be to use a cooler from an old Quadro 2000. They are rated at 62W, which is slightly lower than the 1050 ti's 75W, but it seems like it should work, it just might need a higher fan speed than the Quadros would have used.

There seem to be slightly different coolers base on the OEM, but here are two options for around $30. I didn't look too hard so maybe you can find just the cooler pulled from a non-working card for even cheaper:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1GB-Dell-Q...F5civOH:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!11222!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Nvidi...:xt4AAOSwR2RaQ77F:sc:USPSPriority!11222!US!-1

Hard to tell exactly, but the eye test indicates that the mounting holes may line up. Same for the Gainward. The best way to check is to overlay photos of the backsides in photoshop or other similar application.

Vlad502

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 4, 2017
How would you recommend using that GTX750 cooler? Do you think it would properly cool the card? Would the mounting points be the same? Which one would you go with?
Sure, it is lower TDP card, but with some calculation (and adjustments) with this calculator, it looks like, heatsink is capable holding the heat load
43mm * 43mm for both coolers (i guess)
I like experimenting and probably try more than one option
The best way to check is to overlay photos of the backsides in photoshop or other similar application
All mockups are made with LibreOffice Draw, Paint.net (transparent png files) and FastStone Image Viewer

Last edited:

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Original poster
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
Sure, it is lower TDP card, but with some calculation (and adjustments) with this calculator, it looks like, heatsink is capable holding the heat load
43mm * 43mm for both coolers (i guess)
I like experimenting and probably try more than one option

All mockups are made with LibreOffice Draw, Paint.net (transparent png files) and FastStone Image Viewer

Of the Quadro cards you listed, the rectangular heatsink looks like a better option as it seems to have a bigger cooling surface area.

I'll purchase that and see what kind of temps I'm looking at. If not, I'll probably go with that gainward unit as the bigger fan seems like it'd be more effective or cooler.

Vlad502

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 4, 2017
Quadro cards also have different mounting than 43*43 (53*53) and probably won`t fit to the card

Last edited:

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Original poster
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
Quadro cards also have different mounting than 43*43 (53*53) and probably won`t fit to the card

Really? So that may not work out then. The GeForce GTX 750 cards should have the correct cooler mounting points, no?

Thanks for all your help btw.

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Original poster
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
Actually, the Gainward card looks like a really good idea. I can't seem to find any single slot ones on eBay in my country. Do you know if there's a similar cooler design to it? (Big fan, lots of heat spreaders in width, not length)