Custom SATA male connector?

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 16, 2018
Hello!

Is anybody well versed with how to make a custom SATA male connector? When you have that one odd Molex 4-pin powered peripheral and just want to snip it off and change it for a SATA connector, how do you go about it?

I've on the odd occasion had a spare SATA male connector that I snipped off something else and just soldered it on, but its not very flexible or elegant. In the image below you can see that this particular one that I snipped off has 12 V and ground, but no 5 V or 3.3 V.

Everything that I've seen so far only lets you crimp on female SATA connectors. Does anybody have experience with this?

Thanks in advance,

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
Custom cables aren't common lol. And while I prefer amazon or ebay myself, I've had to order a few hard to find parts there, and they came thru so I do recommend them. I'm US based, so idk about where to go in the EU to find them readily available. I have also pulled them off my existing corsair's psu sata cables and moved them around, customizing the lengths for my rig, but not all connectors are reusable.

InfernoZeus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 23, 2017
Something like that I suppose, although it would be better if it was a bit more widely available (europe). Kinda strange that it isn't more of a known product.

Check out Aliexpress. There's a whole bunch of them if you search for "sata piercing". They'll be shipped from China, and will take a couple of weeks, but it'll be cheap.

Enter Plasma

Caliper Novice
Enter Plasma
Sep 24, 2018
Males are available only either to solder or push-in like the ones sold by Moddiy posted above.
The solder ones are used in the cable you posted in the OP, but they don't come with the plastic "cover". That is molded after the cable is done and it's tough to replicate at home unless you have access to a 3D printer and good skills in modelling and using it.

There is absolutely no way you will find any of this easily available in Europe.
I'm based in Italy and I deal with weird imports and custom cabling supplies all the time if you need anything.

Reactions: For_Science

TristanDuboisOLG

Average Stuffer
May 10, 2018
I just went through this. The test piece is actually sitting on my desk.

Check the voltage of the piece you want to power. I was lucky and the LED strip was actually a 12v. Then check the power rating of the individual sata power wires. In your picture, the Yellow is 12v and the Black is ground.

I just had to solder them right to the strip. Didn't even need resistors. :)