Log Custom loop FormD T1 - 7800X3D w/ Modultra block and RTX 3090 (w/ stock cooler)

OldManGrimm

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 18, 2018
www.instagram.com

This was a client build that we'd initially done with pneumatic soft tubing. Client decided he wanted to switch to hard tubing (which is what I'd wanted to do in the first place). Space is ridiculously tight in the FormD, but with good planning it works out. We didn't block the GPU because a: a single 240 slim rad isn't ideal for both CPU and GPU, and b: the GPU cools just fine with stock air cooling. Detailed parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hpfY7R

CPU temps ran about 65-67 under heavy load. Pump speed is set to 25% to reduce noise, and the fans are really quiet under load. GPU likewise stays in the mid-60s under gaming loads.

The port just above the PSU is used for filling/draining. I painted the sides of the Noctua fans - I'd have bought Chromax fans, but the client already had the brown ones.

I put a thick (approx. 1") rubber block under the end of the GPU as a support. Fun fact: if you look at the pics on the FormD website, they seem to have intended the case to be flipped from what most of us do. This would be better for the GPU's mounting, but would put the fans/rad at the bottom.

Stock Corsair PSU cables, but I shortened them to remove any excess. Note the temp plug - that fits into a 3-way fitting as the tubing runs across under the rad.

My one concession on cable management: I left the pump's power cable easy to access. Since you can't really access the 24-pin cable, I use an external power supply to run the pump during filling.

In case anyone was wondering "how exactly do you fill this thing?"

While this was a fun project and a nice challenge, I'm not sure it cools much better than a good AIO. Certainly not enough to justify the expense and trouble. So if you enjoy this sort of thing, go for it! But if not just go for an AIO.

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
Just wondering, why the decision against the pneumatic soft tubing?

OldManGrimm

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 18, 2018
www.instagram.com
Just wondering, why the decision against the pneumatic soft tubing?
Mainly? Client request. I have a repeat client who changes PCs every couple of months (and I'm talking $3K and up systems). He decided to sell this one, and thought it would sell better with hardline tubing. It's fine though - he can afford it, he pays well, and gives me a chance to do a lot of builds I couldn't do otherwise.