Crosshair VIII Impact + M1 v6 = High Chipset temp

PizzaPino

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 18, 2019
Hey guys,

I've got this motherboard in my case with a U9S cpu cooler including a second 92mm noctua fan.

Now if you've got this board, you know that they placed the chipset fans directly where the noctuas should be. I already moved the 92mms away from the rear case directly to the cpu cooler and closer to the left side of the case (yes not directly on the cpu cooler and it doesn't look the best).

Still on idle the chipset reaches a temperature of 75C and the chipset fan spins get loud which is very annoying. I can increase the speed of the noctuas to 55% and decrease the chipset temp down to 68C which makes it better but still not perfect.

For those with this motherboard, what's your fan configuration and how hot does your chipset get? Is it maybe a better option to get rid of the second 92mm fan so the PCH fan has a better airflow?

dblgnet

Efficiency Noob
Sep 5, 2019
Waiting for this mobo & was wavering between tower cooler & AIO, but believe the AIO will be better for airflow – your experience seems to prove that out.

PizzaPino

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 18, 2019
I would probably not even care that much about the chipset temp if we could just control the PCH fans which is currently not possible. I just really hope asus will include this in a future bios update.

Reactions: davbojic

rroy

Cable Smoosher
Oct 23, 2019
I am using an AIO (Corsair H100i Platinum) with the Impact on the V6. My idle chipset temp stays around 67-68C. However, I don't hear the chipset fans at all.

Windeh

Cable Smoosher
Oct 27, 2019
I'm using the Swiftech Apogee Drive II and Hardware Labs GTS240 for the CPU.

There are no control for the Chipset fan in BIOS and ASUS software. The Chipset sits around 70C at all times, and the fan just stays at around 4500RPM whining constantly.

I got annoyed and was looking at the heatsink stack for the Chipset, which looks to received about 1/3 the airflow from the 30mm fan.

Most of the heat seems to be soaked up by the large aluminium rear IO cover, so I thought I'll try pulling the fan to see what difference the fan makes.

Now my case is silent and the Chipset temp goes up to 72C at idle and occasionally reaches 75C during load.

Problem solved.

oCNoOb

Cable Smoosher
Oct 19, 2019
Are you using a gen 4 nvme? I don’t think my chipset doesn’t get nearly that hot running gen 3. Sits in the 40’s or 50’s and I don’t hear the chipset fan.

I have a slim noctua 92mm fan at the rear as intake and c14s in low profile mode exhausting out of the case.

G_I_R

Efficiency Noob
Oct 31, 2019
Chipset fan is driving me nuts. I can control one of them with HS FAN but I'm guessing the other is PCH FAN. PCH is pegged at 100% speed.

Everything is gen III. EFI nor AI suite 3 can do anything about it.

Last edited:

G_I_R

Efficiency Noob
Oct 31, 2019

There are no control for the Chipset fan in BIOS and ASUS software. The Chipset sits around 70C at all times, and the fan just stays at around 4500RPM whining constantly.

I got annoyed and was looking at the heatsink stack for the Chipset, which looks to received about 1/3 the airflow from the 30mm fan.

Most of the heat seems to be soaked up by the large aluminium rear IO cover, so I thought I'll try pulling the fan to see what difference the fan makes.

Now my case is silent and the Chipset temp goes up to 72C at idle and occasionally reaches 75C during load.

Problem solved.

Sorry, what did you do to fix the noise?

PizzaPino

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 18, 2019
Are you using a gen 4 nvme? I don’t think my chipset doesn’t get nearly that hot running gen 3. Sits in the 40’s or 50’s and I don’t hear the chipset fan.

I have a slim noctua 92mm fan at the rear as intake and c14s in low profile mode exhausting out of the case.

i've got exactly the same hardware with a gen 3 nvme. except that the chipset reaches a much higher temperature and the fans are whiny.

Problem solved.
so you're saying asus included a noisy pch fan just to save 2-3C°?
i might actually do the same now. 75C° under load seems perfectly fine i guess.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
I didn´t want to say anything because I don´t own the board, but sincerely talking, something has to be working wrong there... I have an aorus x570 i and my chipset never gets to 60, and my pch fan is all the time off... In a Ncase with AIO and the fans @ 600 ish rpm while working with Autocad and sketchup, listening to music and the usual stuff.

When I have to render something the chipset is normally cooler because the rad fans blow to it faster due to the higher cpu temps.

I know it´s not something usefull to solve your problems, but it takes my attention such a big difference in temps even if the MB is not the same, the chipset is.... Also, has anybody changed the thermal paste? I did with mine and saw some improvement (not much anyway), maybe you could try.

PizzaPino

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 18, 2019
I didn´t want to say anything because I don´t own the board, but sincerely talking, something has to be working wrong there... I have an aorus x570 i and my chipset never gets to 60, and my pch fan is all the time off... In a Ncase with AIO and the fans @ 600 ish rpm while working with Autocad and sketchup, listening to music and the usual stuff.

When I have to render something the chipset is normally cooler because the rad fans blow to it faster due to the higher cpu temps.

I know it´s not something usefull to solve your problems, but it takes my attention such a big difference in temps even if the MB is not the same, the chipset is.... Also, has anybody changed the thermal paste? I did with mine and saw some improvement (not much anyway), maybe you could try.
i had the aorus x570 before the crosshair viii impact in the same setup and had exactly the same experience as you.
the problem is probably really the board in general because we are 4 people here with the same board and same temps.
I haven't changed the thermal paste so far.

stepnyVLK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 23, 2019
I bought the x570-i for oc testing but im so happy with the gigabyte i dont want to tinker with the system:).
Does anyone know if you can setup individual core clock like asus has on the intel boards?
When i saw the two fans i imideatly knew there would be some issues with the board since one if them pulls air direkt from a heatsik and it exhausts to another heatsink :) they even delayed it.
Did you tryed a bios update? The gigabyte had simillar issues when it was brand new the bios dixed it now in stealth mode youcant her it at all.

Epos7

Trash Compacter
Aug 24, 2019
I have the Aurus board and initially thought the fan was pretty whiny, so I replaced it with a Noctua. Turns out it wasn't the fan whining but coil whine coming from the VRM area when under GPU heavy load. There are a small number of reports of this issue with the X570 boards.

I'm curious if the new BIOS does anything for you. Let us know if you notice any change.

oCNoOb

Cable Smoosher
Oct 19, 2019
Might also be worth updating the chipset driver directly from AMD. This will give you the Ryzen power profiles that play better with windows 10 power management.

G_I_R

Efficiency Noob
Oct 31, 2019
I'm holding out on the bios update until things smooth over. Seems to be a number of users are unable to boot or unable to run ram faster than 3200. Also issues with nvme or extra pcie devices.

G_I_R

Efficiency Noob
Oct 31, 2019
Bad news. Pch/chipset fan died today.

Tries to spin but only twitches and sometimes a brief audible coil whine/chirp associated with it.

I’ve always had an active pch fan. Not sure why, seemed excessive. I was in between watching YouTube videos when it suddenly went quiet.